Super Contributor

What's everyone reading?

Hi everyone,

Thought
I'd get my thread started here on what's everyone readingI'm currently
reading John Grisham's "The Summons".  It's very interesting and I hope to finish it
sometime todayWhat's on your coffee table, nightstand or end table?

Janese

Kudos
Views
Replies
Recognized Social Butterfly

@nyadrn Thanks for the Edie update.  I miss her.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I just finished reading"The Buried Giant" byKazuo Ishguro,it was wonderful,just a tad too long,317pgs.

Next up is Shirley Jones memoir. I'va always liked her either in film/TV I know some things about her life. Her 1st husband was actor Jack Cassidy,they had 3 sons together,Shaun,Patrick,Ryan. Her 2nd husband was comedian,Marty Engels,he passed away last yr. Her step son is David Cassidy,they co-starred together in classic TV show "The Patridge Family" This should be an entertaining book Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

The book I've just started reading is "The Buried Giant" by Kazuo Ishiguro.

The story is set in post- Arthur England,an elderly couple Bernice&Axl are about to start a journey to visit their son they haven't seen in yrs. There is a strange mist across the land that causes amnesia among the people. I've read 30 pgs already,can't put it down.

The other book by this author I've read is 'The Remains of The Day' which I loved ,movie version starring Anthony Hopkins&Emma Thompson was just as good Sue

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I'm having a hard time getting thru the book"Baby,You're a Rich Man" :Suing the Beatles for Fun&Profit" by Stan Soocher. He spends too many chapters on John Lennon&his deportation problems in the 70's,big deal. Lennon was my least favorite band member I'm skimming now over the rest of the book, the author isn't a good writer in my opinion., Sue

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

This afternoon,finished reading"The Only Street in Paris' by Elaine Scolino.

I really enjoyed this book,the author explains in vivid detail,the street where she lives in Paris,history behind some of the shops/stores,her neighbors. Its a quick read 280 pgs. As i was reading it,found out Elaine grew up in my hometown,Buffalo,NY. She mentions couple places I recognize.

Next book is "Baby,You're a Rich Man:Suing The Beatles for Fun&Profit" by Stan Soocher. The author explains in detail the legal troubles the band endured right from the start. After their 1st manager,Brian Epstein died,their new one,Allen Klein tried to take control of everything associated with the band. This should be an interesting read Sue

0 Kudos

I want to welcome the new posters to this thread!  Nice to have you.  

Contributor

Just finished reading Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Don't know what all the bad reviews were about.
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

The book I'm reading now is "The Only Street in Paris: Life on the Rue des Martyrs" by Elaine Scolino. The author is former Paris bureau chief for the NYTimes. She& her husband,2 children have lived in Paris since 2002. She describes in detail what its like to live on this street with different shops etc. The book was a birthday gift from my close friend, Marcia. Its interesting&I can't put it down. Sue

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@doglover52 wrote:

The book I'm reading now is "The Only Street in Paris: Life on the Rue des Martyrs" by Elaine Scolino. The author is former Paris bureau chief for the NYTimes. She& her husband,2 children have lived in Paris since 2002. She describes in detail what its like to live on this street with different shops etc. The book was a birthday gift from my close friend, Marcia. Its interesting&I can't put it down. Sue

Lucky you, Sue, to have a friend who gives you a good book to read, as a birthday gift!  Glad you are enjoying your gift.

There are 6 patrons on the wait list for this book, in our county library system - your post had me interested enough to take a look.  I did not add myself to the list, as I am already on wait lists for 11 other books.  And I have 5 library books on hand currently, 3 Regency romances & 2 novels centering on dogs.  All 5 appear to be easy-to-read ("popcorn") material.

One of the dog novels, Rescue Me, Maybe, by Jackie Bouchard, is a modern-day romance.  The other dog novel, The Dog Who Saved Me, by Susan Wilson, is a little more complicated, involving a man named Cooper who is part of a K-9 unit in Boston.  He loses his canine partner in the line of duty, & becomes mired in grief.  Eventually he ends up back in his hometown, where he becomes the town's animal control officer.  He rescues a wounded, shy yellow Lab, & the story proceeds from there.  I am just beginning the book, & am under impression dog-lovers might enjoy this book.   Pam   

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello,

I haven't been on here in a while. I just finished the book titled: "a land remembered" by Patrick Smith. It's a story I'll long remember.

Betty

0 Kudos

@bettys1  I loved A Land Remembered  too.

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

I've been reading the Sunday funnies.

I really enjoy John Grisham books, last one was The Litagator. I am now reading David Baldacci's, Memery Man. I thought I might pick up some tips.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I am now reading Murder in Little Italy, (book 8 in the Gaslight Mystery series), by Victoria Thompson.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi,

I do a lot of reading. My reading interests are hugely varied and range from WWII to Nora Roberts. I have found a new favorite author these days and jump on anything I find written by her.

I just finished Karen Marie Moning's "Fever" series, and just loved it. Light but fun, and it kept me wanting to read more by her. The books in this series are:

#1 - Dark Fever

#2 - Blood Fever

#3 - Fae Fever

I'm gathering her "Highlander" series next & looking forward to it!

-Chris

0 Kudos

I'm just beginning The Sisters Weiss, on a recommendation from a friend.
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

The last book I'm reading for 2015, started reading yesterday  another memoir.
"Even This I Get to Experience" by Norman Lear. He is the creator of classic TV shows such as"All in The Family,Good Times,The Jeffersons and Mary Hartman,Mary Hartman". I don't know much about his life before he became a successful writer/producer etc. Sue

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@doglover52 wrote:

The last book I'm reading for 2015, started reading yesterday  another memoir.
"Even This I Get to Experience" by Norman Lear. He is the creator of classic TV shows such as"All in The Family,Good Times,The Jeffersons and Mary Hartman,Mary Hartman". I don't know much about his life before he became a successful writer/producer etc. Sue

I just finished Norman Lear's memoir,which I enjoyed. When he was just starting out,he and his 1st writing partner,Ed Simmons wrote comedy  for the likes of Martha Raye,Dean Martin&Jerry Lewis,Danny Thomas.

He tells the story how difficult it was for him&his writing &producing partner,Bud Yorkin to get "All in The Family' on the air. ABC was the 1st network to reject the pilot,CBS decided to take a chance give it 13 episodes,rest is history. I had read/heard rumors over the yrs, Carroll O'Connor was difficult actor to deal with on "AITF"set,he&Lear had weekly disagreements about each episode. Lear confirms this was true. My only complaint about the book,too long,430 pgs. Sue

0 Kudos

Looks like  its you and me for a while Sue!

My current book is "Doomed Queens" by Kris Waldherr.  The book begins with Queen Athaliah in 835 BC and ends with Lady Diana.  Each woman is given a synopsis of her life  in about 2 pages and how things went wrong causing their downfall.   It is humorous and the author did her own illustrations which are amusing.  The book is in a light vein & meant to entertain but as I have not heard or read of some of these women it is teaching me a bit also. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I finished reading book about Norman Rockwell this afternoon,interesting .The author,Debroah Simpson gives detailed descriptions of some of Rockwell's famous paintings,some are shown in the book which was helpful. I recommend the book if anybody is interested in his complicated life Sue

0 Kudos

Sue, what is the title of the book?  I am very interested in reading it.  I love biograhies.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita wrote:

Sue, what is the title of the book?  I am very interested in reading it.  I love biograhies.

Hi,LDV,the name of the book is "American Mirror:Life and Art of Norman Rockwell" by Deborah Simpson Sue

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I just finished reading 2 more books in the ongoing  future cop/thriller,"In Death' series by J.D. Robb aka romance writer,Nora Roberts. I love reading these, the same characters in each book with humor,the heroine is Lt. Eve Dallas and her trusty partner,Delia Peabody. The ones I read wereTreachery and "Calculated in Death".

The book I'm about to start is "American Mirror:The Life and Art of Norman Rockwell" by Deborah Solomon. I know who Rockwell is but don't know much about his life. Sue

Trusted Social Butterfly

The book I'm reading now is"Home Fires" by Julie Summers. This is the true story of the Women's Institute Organization in England which kept the country together during WW ll. The women in the villages/towns came from all different backgrounds,they ran canteens,knitted clothing for the troops. They are best known for making jams."Jams' is the book's title name in England. A 6 episode series based on the book recently aired on PBS. Sue

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@doglover52 wrote:

The book I'm reading now is"Home Fires" by Julie Summers. This is the true story of the Women's Institute Organization in England which kept the country together during WW ll. The women in the villages/towns came from all different backgrounds,they ran canteens,knitted clothing for the troops. They are best known for making jams."Jams' is the book's title name in England. A 6 episode series based on the book recently aired on PBS. Sue

I didn't finish the book,it was too long. I did find it interesting what these women did to help the country during WW ll in U.K. Sue

0 Kudos

I have finished reading Lucia, A Venetian life In the Age of Napoleon.  The most surprising and interesting facts in her life were that she was  an intimate friend of the Empress Josephine during and after Napoleon's era and that she became Byron's landlady after her return to Venice.  Otherwise she led I believe what would have been an ordinary life for an upper class woman in those days.  There was a bit of scandal as she had a child from her lover while married to a mostly absent husband.  There was more acceptance of this than I would have thought.

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.  I did not as mom's companion drove the car into the garage wall and into the living room about 1 foot.  I could not cook or eat from being upset.  I am better now.

0 Kudos

Sue, I love Home Fires the series.  I could see how it might be not the most exciting of books.  I tried getting for my mom a few of Jennifer Worth's books that Call the Midwife is based on, but she did not seem to like them.   I did not  read them.  So many books so little time!

I am currently reading Mistress of the Vatican, The True Story of Olimpia Maidalchini: The Secret Female Pope by Eleanor Herman.  The writer has a wonderful sense of humor and the book is well researched.  I plan to read more of her books.

Contributor

Bible
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

The book I'm reading now is "Bones Are Forever" by Kathy Reichs. I know these books aren't for everyone because they are very graphic, detailed forensic cases.I've read all the ones featuring her heroine,Dr. Temperance Brennan. The author in real life is a certified-board forensic anthroplogist who works for the province of Quebec,was the chief Medical Examiner for North Carolina. She is a producer of the long running TV show"Bones." I used to read Patricia Cornwell's books which are similar to Reichs,in my opinion Reichs is the better writer. Sue

0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I posted, but I am reading mostly nonfiction and it is slow go.  I am almost finished with my current book,  Lucia, A Venetian Life in the Age of Napoleon.  Andrea DiRobilant is again writing about one of his ancestors based on letters found in an old Venetian mansion.  Adding to my knowledge of the history as Napoleon & his era I am pretty weak on.  This book is biographical in nature as the title indicates and it has held my interest. 

The Astronaut Wives Club sounds very good and I plan on reading that very soon.  I have a few library requests I am waiting for at present. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png