Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 161 of 10,047

@nyadrn   I have to start posting here again, it has been a long time!  Of course I am still reading, but lighter stuff due to lifestyle (stress) demands. Hope you are well.  The only place I post these days is the Front Porch but maybe that will change.  I do miss this thread and TV Talk.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 162 of 10,047

Into the Water.  Paula Hawkins

same author as The Girl on the Train.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 163 of 10,047
"SHAME OF A NATION"- JONATHAN KOZOL;
"PLEXUS "- HENRY MILLER
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 164 of 10,047

Tina Turner A Love Story

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 165 of 10,047
HENRY MILLER'S "PLEXUS"- 1/3 OF HIS "ROSY CRUCIFIXION"- THE MAN CAN BE CRUDE& MISOGYNISTIC, BUT CAN ALSO WRITE STUNNING PROSE.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 166 of 10,047

20 years ago, when I first read Zadie Smith's "White Teeth" - I was really impressed. A work of fiction about a British family.  The unique style of writing that this 21 year old author developed was astonishing!  I loved it!   It immediately became a blow-away international best seller.  If you haven't read it - I highly recommend you do so.  Since "White Teeth" - I read a couple more of her books, but did not care much for them.  Am presently reading her "The Autograph Man".  It's going OK.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 167 of 10,047
I LIKED "ATLAS SHRUGGED" AS WELL AS AYN RAND'S OTHER BOOKS. THE BOOK CLUB I BELONG TO JUST FINISHED "CATCH22" BY JOSEPH HELLER. READ IT YEARS AGO, MAJOR IMPRESSION WAS THE DEFINITION OF "CATCH-22. BUT ON REREADING IT NOW, I FOUND IT HILARIOUS,WELL DONE,& MEMORABLE. YOSSARIAN IS A UNIQUE ANTIHERO. I SO MISS HIM SINCE I FINISHED THE BOOK.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 168 of 10,047

I tried reading Atlas Shrugged many, many years ago and all I can say is Boring.  Most of the books I read are between 500-1000 pages so the length didn't bother me.   Reading is my addiction & I couldn't imagine wasting time on this book.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 169 of 10,047

@MarkL426001 wrote:

Everyone is reading Atlas Shrugged and the Bible judging by the number of selling:D 
I'm okay with the Bible, but the Atlas is an epitome of a bad taste the collective human consciousness has. The thing inspiring people here is that that book has the page count of more than a thousand and all this labor was performed by a WOMAN. I'm convinced that after the last chapter, she rolled the pages and set on it, releasing the tension:D And the hypocrisy of it just so good. It is supposed to be about the woman who was able to climb the social ladder all by herself. And what do we see in the story. She succeeded, yes, but by having sex with guys. That's just crazy, isn't it? And the division into a definitely bad and good guys is so talented and up to date:D
As for good books I've "Making money" by Terry Pratchett. It's a masterpiece in terms of storytelling, humor and the ability of comprehensive explaining of micro and macroeconomics by the means of stories. 
The other I would recommend is "
Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco. It wraps the huge number of historical, religious, linguistic concepts into a greatest detective story of all times. 
Highly recommending both of them. And as for the lists of books, please stop reading all the books from the lists like "100 one must read before they die" I won't explain why, just stop:)
So far the best list of contemporary books I've found is this one, сheck a review, for example https://readsreviews.com/32/Madeline-75th-Anniversary-Edition. And it seems that the general public hadn't spoiled the review are written by intelligent people so far.

Apparently @MarkL426001 has a problem with women who write books. Or maybe he just has a problem with women... who knows/cares?

In any case, I'd have to say that his talent for reviewing books likely equals his talent for comedy.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 170 of 10,047

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit