WATCH NOW: Iowa presidential candidate forum from Council Bluffs. Appearing: Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 111 of 9,918

I am almost finished reading The Most Beautiful Woman in Florence by Alyssa Palombo, historical novel about the woman who posed for Botticelli's Venus.   Moves quite slowly and is not as well written as her other book, the Violinist of Venice.  But interesting still.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 112 of 9,918

@LaDolceVita

I enjoyed it. If you have Amazon Prime, you can read it for free with the Kindle app.

Assume nothing. Question everything. And start thinking.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 113 of 9,918

@Cirice   Wow, sounds like a great book.  I must read this.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 114 of 9,918

@m901083d  Welcome here.  Read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan a few years ago, really enjoyed it.  

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 115 of 9,918

I loved this book too.  Have you read her book Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane?  That book taught me so much about tea that I now buy all different kinds of tea online.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 116 of 9,918

I love Snow Flower and The Secret Fan - written by Lisa See.  Love her writing and all her books.  She really captures the Chinese culture and the foot binding subject.  Well developed charachters...

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 117 of 9,918
Thought I'd check out the reading section of the forum Smiley Very Happy

I just started reading "Alex & Me" by Irene Pepperberg.

Here is the description from Amazon.com:

On September 6, 2007, an African Grey parrot named Alex died prematurely at age thirty-one. His last words to his owner, Irene Pepperberg, were "You be good. I love you."

What would normally be a quiet, very private event was, in Alex's case, headline news. Over the thirty years they had worked together, Alex and Irene had become famous—two pioneers who opened an unprecedented window into the hidden yet vast world of animal minds. Alex's brain was the size of a shelled walnut, and when Irene and Alex first met, birds were not believed to possess any potential for language, consciousness, or anything remotely comparable to human intelligence. Yet, over the years, Alex proved many things. He could add. He could sound out words. He understood concepts like bigger, smaller, more, fewer, and none. He was capable of thought and intention. Together, Alex and Irene uncovered a startling reality: We live in a world populated by thinking, conscious creatures.

The fame that resulted was extraordinary. Yet there was a side to their relationship that never made the papers. They were emotionally connected to one another. They shared a deep bond far beyond science. Alex missed Irene when she was away. He was jealous when she paid attention to other parrots, or even people. He liked to show her who was boss. He loved to dance. He sometimes became bored by the repetition of his tests, and played jokes on her. Sometimes they sniped at each other. Yet nearly every day, they each said, "I love you."

Alex and Irene stayed together through thick and thin—despite sneers from experts, extraordinary financial sacrifices, and a nomadic existence from one univer­sity to another. The story of their thirty-year adventure is equally a landmark of scientific achievement and of an unforgettable human-animal bond.

Assume nothing. Question everything. And start thinking.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 118 of 9,918

@AlysiaR758419wrote:

Hi, new joining you. I just finished a book by Robyn Carr and am starting one by Heather Graham. My favorite authors are James Rollins, Clive Cussler, Jayne Ann Krentz and Catherine Coulter. I prefer clean romantic suspense and adventure.

Welcome!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 119 of 9,918

Hi, new joining you. I just finished a book by Robyn Carr and am starting one by Heather Graham. My favorite authors are James Rollins, Clive Cussler, Jayne Ann Krentz and Catherine Coulter. I prefer clean romantic suspense and adventure.

Author
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 120 of 9,918

Am reading Conflict of Interest by Scott Pratt.  This is book #5 in his Joe Dillard series. These are easy to read, fairly exciting thrillers.  Murder mystery genre.

Kudos
Views