Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 321 of 9,951

@nyadrn wrote:

Starting Inside the O'Briens   Lisa Genova

About a Boston police officer who is diagnosed with Huntington's disease and the effects of the disease on his family and his life.

Hi Diane,thanks for this. I've read another book by this author in 2008 "Still Alice". The story is about an English professor who at age 50 has early signs of Altzheimers. It was made into a movie last yr with Julianne Moore,Alec Baldwin and Kristen Stewart. Moore won Best Actress Oscar for her role.

The book and movie are both good Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 322 of 9,951

Starting Inside the O'Briens   Lisa Genova

About a Boston police officer who is diagnosed with Huntington's disease and the effects of the disease on his family and his life.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 323 of 9,951

Two days ago I finished the book"Career of Evil" by Robert Galbraith aka JK Rowling. This is the 3rd book involving detective Cormoran Strike and his partner,Robin Ellacott.,their evolving relationship It was terrific,couldn't put it down. If you are interested in reading these books, start with the 1st one"Cuckoo's Calling",love the way Rowling has invented a new series for adults  Sue

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 324 of 9,951

I have been watching  BBC documentaries on you tube and enjoying the British shows on PBS and my reading has declined.   Bettany Hughes documentaries on ancients civilizations have become my  favorite when I have a full hour to watch.   Until recently I watched almost no television, just kind of had it on for background noise while I read.   With summer nearing the end (hopefully) I hope to read more.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 325 of 9,951

@doglover52 wrote:

Yesterday,I finished reading "Voices in The Ocean" by Susan Casey,fascinating book about wild dolphins. I had trouble getting thru couple chapters when the author explains how bottlenose dolphins are captured/sold to the highest bidder to marine parks around the world. She mentions the AcademyAward winning documentary,"The Cove' which is located  in Japan,the unthinkable cruelty  the dolphin hunters do. She also mentions,Ric O'Leary who yrs ago trained the 5 female dolphins who played "Flipper' in TV show. He grew to dislike his job,now he is a very active dolphin advocate.

I enjoyed the book,just a tad too long 334 pgs.

Such a terrible practice and reminds me of the big expose' after the SeaWorld trainer's death, about the treatment of whales.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 326 of 9,951

@LaDolceVita wrote:

I picked up Hill Towers by Anne Rivers Siddons to read while waiting for another copy of Love is Eternal.  I began reading it last night and I liked it very well!! 

@nyadrn@   @gatorgorilla, you are very much missed here.  I love your book selections & scintillating company Woman Very Happy.  

This is an ancient thread  and I think one of the best ones on AARP.  I have neglected it and now it is buried, I actually had to do a search to find it. 

P.S.  to Diane & Pam.  Perhaps you are thinking that now even people on message boards are making demands on you!!  Woman Embarassed

It is an ancient thread ... started by my friend Janese (still FB friends!)  and Edie kept it going for a long time.  People read!  and always will imho.  I love to read, you are never lonely or bored.  You can do it about anywhere..  commuting and porch reading are my favs : )  Glad you are still posting here.

Just finished Sister of My Heart by Chitra Benerjee Divakaruni  (sad story about two girls growing up in India) really good though.  Looking forward to trying Mistress of Spices  another of hers

and

What She Left Behind by Ellen Marie Wiseman  (another equally sad story about two women, generations apart.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 327 of 9,951

I picked up Hill Towers by Anne Rivers Siddons to read while waiting for another copy of Love is Eternal.  I began reading it last night and I liked it very well!! 

@nyadrn   @gatorgorilla, you are very much missed here.  I love your book selections & scintillating company Woman Very Happy.  

This is an ancient thread  and I think one of the best ones on AARP.  I have neglected it and now it is buried, I actually had to do a search to find it. 

P.S.  to Diane & Pam.  Perhaps you are thinking that now even people on message boards are making demands on you!!  Woman Embarassed

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 328 of 9,951

Sue, I just read

@doglover52 wrote:

Yesterday,I finished reading "Voices in The Ocean" by Susan Casey,fascinating book about wild dolphins. I had trouble getting thru couple chapters when the author explains how bottlenose dolphins are captured/sold to the highest bidder to marine parks around the world. She mentions the AcademyAward winning documentary,"The Cove' which is located  in Japan,the unthinkable cruelty  the dolphin hunters do. She also mentions,Ric O'Leary who yrs ago trained the 5 female dolphins who played "Flipper' in TV show. He grew to dislike his job,now he is a very active dolphin advocate.

I enjoyed the book,just a tad too long 334 pgs.

@doglover52 Sue, I just read your post.  Very disturbing, I am glad that there is information being made available  to the public about the horrors of these practices. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 329 of 9,951

It has been a terrible summer for me as far as reading goes.  I have hardly read at all.  I haave started reading Love is Eternal by Irving Stone but I have to request it from the library again to be able to finish it.  I requested several other Irving Stone books as well.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 330 of 9,951

I finished "The Secret Wisdom of the Earth' this afternoon. I forgot to mention in my previous post,there is another component of the book,coal mining,the jobs that come with it,conflict of what it does to the landscape of a community. This was terrific well written,characters you get engrossed with,hoping things will turn out well for them. I recommend the book.

Next up is the 3rd book by Robert Galbraith{ aka JK Rowling} "Career of Evil". I've read the first 2 in this series"The Silkworm ,"The Cuckoo's Calling" loved them both Sue

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users