Super Contributor

What's everyone reading?

Hi everyone,

Thought
I'd get my thread started here on what's everyone readingI'm currently
reading John Grisham's "The Summons".  It's very interesting and I hope to finish it
sometime todayWhat's on your coffee table, nightstand or end table?

Janese

Kudos
Views
Replies
Honored Social Butterfly

"...R.I.P.  -  author P. D. James  (Phyllis Dorothy James)...".

Had no idea. Thanks for posting this.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Hi Everyone, I was looking for a new book chat group. A few others I tried online were mostly twenty and thirtysomethings with rather diverse reading taste. I'm not really interested in vampire series or "The Fault in Our Stars"...really;)...

So maybe this is a group I'll fit into a bit better. A book I found by chance the other day is called "Number Our Days" by Barbera Myerhoff. I just started it, a cultural study of a community of Jewish seniors in CA. It was published in 1978 but the humor and wisdom are timeless.

Especially at this time of the year we need some gentle encouragement that perhaps being older can mean being better. Oy, that it's in the attitude...L' Chayim

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Welcome to our group. We have diverse tastes here, but I haven't noticed much discussion about vampires.
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@jgaff55 wrote:
Welcome to our group. We have diverse tastes here, but I haven't noticed much discussion about vampires.

Speaking of vampire books...

I just finished reading "Let the Right One In" by John Lindqvist. This books tells the story of a 12-year old boy and his friendship with a vampire child. It takes place in Stockholm, Sweden. My son passed this book along to me saying that I would like it and he was right. The author draws the reader in with the first paragraph and when you come to the last page its with a feeling of saddness that the experience is over. There is blood and guts and gore but also its a tale of human relationship. Or maybe I should say human and "something other than human" relationships.  Well written and soon to be a movie.

Frances

Starimage.jpgSparkel18

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi L'Chayim,i too welcome you to the group. We lost a lot of posters when the 'powers that be' decided to revamp the website in March. I'm glad you have found us,look forward to your future posts. Sue
Walkers Take It All In Strides
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi L' Chayim.  Not sure if that is your name or something else.  Sorry.  Like you, I'm not a fan of science fiction or books about witches, etc.  Since I joined the book club at our library 5 or 6 years ago, I've found another whole kind of book.  The first book we read was Bookseller of Kabul and it sparked an interest to learn more about other countries around the world and I've read numbers of books about WWII, China, Africa, South America.  Some are novels based on history at the time and some are more current written by journalists.  One I found interesting was Out of Mao's Shadow.   guess I too young to really know or understand and my family didn't get into the horror's of war because for sure we were too young.  Because my grandparents came from English, I've always had an interest in the Kings and Queens and I'm still finding new books on varioius family members.

Anyhow, I'd like to welcome you to "the group".  Sally

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I enjoy war history and cultural studies as well. L' Chayim is Hebrew for " To Life".

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I am between books right now - trying to catch up with four months of magazines, catalogs, etc.  We celebrate Christmas so it is an unusually busy time for us right now.  These are the books I have in line to read from the library:  Precious Thing by Colette McBeth, Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri, and two Debbie Macomber books - Mr Miracle an Trading Christmas.  These are all lighter reading for me (I think).

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.  I hope to have more time for reading and posting next year.  Perhaps some more members will return next year. I sorely miss so many who used to post here.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita wrote:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.  I hope to have more time for reading and posting next year.  Perhaps some more members will return next year. I sorely miss so many who used to post here.

LVD,I also want to wish all who post here Merry Christmas&all the best for 2015,hopefully we will get some new people to join our group too.

I just finished reading "The Giver Quartet" by Lois Lowry,it was good but a tad too long at 772 pgs.

I'm about to start"We Bought A Zoo" by Benjamin Mee,read good reviews,didn't see movie version starring Matt Damon. Sue

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I would also like to extend my very best wishes for a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday to all who enter this Book Talk Group.  I, too hope this group with grow in 2015.

Christmas - May the joys of the holiday with pine-cones.jpg

Gold Conversationalist

NEW YEARS.gif

Gold Conversationalist

Over the holidays I read Longbourn by Jo Baker. The author retells the story of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice from the standpoint of their servants. This is a book about the underpinning of the Bennet household—the people who kept the family clean, fed and transported. While Elizabeth and  Jane attend balls and flirt with their young men, Sarah, the young housemaid, cleans up after them, getting chilblains (red and bleeding hands) from washing and scrubbing the dirt from the hems of their dresses. The servants have their own interesting histories and loves with lives that depend, to a great extent, upon the Bennet's employment. The Bennets are like ghosts that move through this book, people you know are there but rarely see. A nice book and easy to read.

Frances

Starimage.jpgSparkel18

Regular Contributor

Hi Sparkel, I like the idea of the story.  Adding the book to my long list of books to read.  I'm currently reading about Dorothy Fuldheim who was a Cleveland local news reporter, book reviewer, news analyst, etc.  She was on our local TV for over 40 years.  I'm enjoying it because I used to watch her on TV.  It gives a lot of fill-in information about her life, personal and work.

Recognized Social Butterfly

I picked the following books from the library:

Return to Me by Lynn Austin, a novel about ancient Judea

Desert God, by Wilbur Smith, a novel about ancient Egypt

Historical fiction always grabs me!

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Thank You, Sparkel....sounds interesting!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hi Janese

Glad to see you stopped by to give an update.  I had asked about Edie a while back but I did hear from her at Christmas and glad she is well... and as you said, others of us are FB friends. 

Who would have thought some of these groups that were started way back when are still going strong as well as our friendships!!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

So glad to hear that Edie is well.  Sure wish she'd come back here but can understand the frustration of it all.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Bon Jovi,

We missed you while you were gone.  A lot of people have not come back since this last change.  I keep hoping moire will find their way here, and that we would get the old camaraderie back.

Jan

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Bon Jovi, of course I remember you.  It's so nice to see you back.  I'm back after a year or so away myself.  When I had both my knees replaced in March 2013 I closed myself off all the sites where I knew I'd get way to many e-mails to catch up with.  While I was away, they changed the format and I couldn't find the site when I came back.  It just isn't as fun as it was back then when we jibber jabbed about books and other things.  As you may have seen, I inquired about Edie but no one knows where she went.  This site has been so frustrating over the years I've been on it.  No wonder, so many people have left.  .I'm so glad you are here.    Sally 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Finally finished reading "Unbroken". At first I thought it was going to be 839 pages but it ended up being 670. The rest was acknowledgements, notes and discussion. The beginning was rather slow and it took quite sometime for it to pick up. It was quite graphic but then true war stories generally are. I'm looking forward to the movie version. Did not make it to the theater since I wanted to finish the book first. Will wait for the DVD. - Janese (aka/no jovi)
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@bonjovi wrote:
Finally finished reading "Unbroken". At first I thought it was going to be 839 pages but it ended up being 670. The rest was acknowledgements, notes and discussion. The beginning was rather slow and it took quite sometime for it to pick up. It was quite graphic but then true war stories generally are. I'm looking forward to the movie version. Did not make it to the theater since I wanted to finish the book first. Will wait for the DVD. - Janese (aka/no jovi)

Hi bonjovi,I saw the movie version of "Unbroken" it was good,but I prefer the book. My  complaint against director,Angelina Jolie,too much focus on the prison camps&torture scenes. I wish she had spent some time explaining how Louis straightened out his life after the war. There was no mention how Billy Graham's crusade helped him lead a Chrisitan life. Sue

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I hink that was done to show that despite all the torture he was a man that couldn't be broken.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

It is good to hear from you. I've never forgotten you or the many friends I made here. Some I still keep in touch with via facebook, etc. haven't had much time to read or post here. The last two years have been busy. Spent a year caring for my mom until she passed and cancer has hit my grandsons. Still some good things going on though. Managed a nice vacation to Georgia and South Carolina. What are you reading now? I'm still reading Unbroken. So far it's about his running and hasn't got to his war years. I think it will pick up then. Both Edie and Beverly are fine. Bev is on facebook and I keep in touch with Edie by mail and phone.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am glad to hear that Edie and Bev are both OK. I miss seeing them here.
Jan
0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi!

Getting back in contact after a long hiatus.  Still reading, though!  Just finished reading (nonfiction) Anne Lamott's TRAVELING MERCIES:  SOME THOUGHTS ON FAITH.  Very good book on religious and Christian journey of a liberal, nonconformist author, though be warned it does have a number of f-bombs (and other cussin').  This is the author's way of speaking, not just added to be modern. 

I had heard of her books through friends, and had also seen an interview with her on the PBS program, "Religion and Ethics Newsweekly."  She writes both fiction and nonfiction. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

MJhi,

Traveling Mercies is on my wish list.  I am glad to know that you are enjoying it.  I like her writing style, and this sounds like a book I could get in to.

Jan

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi MJhi,I like some Anne Lamott's books . I loved read"Traveling Mercies,"Plan B,"Grace Eventually". Her others were ok"Imperfect Birds","Some Assembly Required" she co wrote with her son,Sam about the birth of his son. The other book"Stitches" is essays about life.Her new one was just published,I think its continuation of last book. Sue
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hi all and hello to Bon Jovi!  I used to drop in on "Golden Girls" and catch up from time to time.  I can't remember if my username was changed by then.  I used to be "mimi1921."  So glad to hear you've kept up with the others.  I wondered from time to time what happened to you, Edie and Beverly.

I just wanted to share with you all that I read Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.  I loved the book and I was glad to have finished it, even though the violence in the POW camps was difficult to get through.  I have a friend "in real life" who had to stop reading it because of the violence.  I think the message of forgiveness and Louie's ability to survive his life's seemingly insurmountable challenges through God's grace gives us all hope for the future and it is quite powerful to those of us who have found ourselves in difficult circumstances.

I am looking forward to seeing Angelina Jolie's treatment of the film version.  While I know that there will be some emphasis on the horrific maltreatment of LZ and the other prisoners in order to provide contrast for Louie's redemption, I think it is necessary for us to develop empathy for the characters.

I saw Brad Pitt's movie "Fury" last week.  The story was compelling but it was a war movie and the carnage portrayed was almost too horrible to comprehend.  I was nauseated and had nightmares after seeing it with my brother and son.  They were very quiet afterward and agreed it was pretty grim.  I feel I have to say, though, if the movie was actually based on reality...my heart has nothing but love and admiration for the soldiers who have fought as patriots for milennia.  I tend to think that if women ruled the world...war would be a thing of the past.  ~  Mimi

“The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
War With Honour, 1940 ~ A.A. Milne
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I've just started reading "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand",true story of Louis Zamperini's remarkable life,during World War II captured&spent 2 yrs in Japanese POW camp. The book is finally out in paperback,have read articles about him&rave reviews about the book. Louis died in July age 97,never saw the movie version. It comes out on Christmas Day directed by actress,Angelina Jolie. I loved the author's previous book,"Seabiscuit",hope this is just as good Sue

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png