Do you or your loved ones suspect a scam? Report it now to the AARP Fraud Watch Network.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 1 of 9,918

I am reading two books for pleasure and one for work- so  I am an economics tutor and some of the folks that i teach have an important exam coming up and i have come to realise that students are more afraid of opening that text and 'failing' to understand than of failing the test or assignment itself. So my role as a tutor, now i have realized, is to read the textbooks- in this case amazing Prof Mankiw's  Principles of Macroeconomics - and be able to deal with that fear of student's even before they attempt to access it. For my own pleasure i am reading Little Prince and this new release with the themes of corporality, illness and trauma called The Body Myth by R Mukherjee. Very, very interesting. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9,918
I'm reading two interesting books:
PHOENIX,by Amos Aricha and Eli Landau. The book was written in 1979, has an assasin, conspirators who participate in THE CONTRACT. Very nicely written and riveting, and it helps that I remember some of the history of the time. If reading about intelligence agents and agencies is your thing, give this a try.

THE LIBRARY BOOK, by Susan Orlean is a beautifully written story about the Los Angeles Public Library fire of 1986. The author clearly loves books, libraries and reasearch and it shows in this wonderful book. It was recommended to me by a friend and I recommend it to all of you.
Sir Granny Tracy
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9,918

I keep a log of my reads so here goes.....I just finished The Guest Book by ?....google it....It was wonderful and rich, but not easy as it was one of those generational sagas that go back and forth.  It took me a while to keep it all straight, but what a great read.  I love WW11 and reallly enjoyed The Bakers Daughter, along with others of the era, The Tattooist of Auschwitz, We Must Be Brave, and the fabulous favorite, The Alice Network by Kate Quinn.  Beneath a Scarlet Sky was amazing as well and my favorite of 2018 was The Stars are Fire by Anita Shreve.   I could go on and on, but you will tire of reading this!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9,918

Thanks so much.  Hope you enjoy. Reviews are very appreciated.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9,918

@LaDolceVita wrote:

@nyadrn   Diane have not seen you in ages!  I love the movies based on Pat Conroy's books but have never read one! 

I have 2 library books on my night stand.  Varina by Charles Frazier and The Vatican Princess by C W Gortner.

Hi

yes I am still around 😀. I finished Prince of Tides. Loved it. Three ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9,918

Hi Bob,  After reading your posting, I jumped over to Amazon and got your book.  As I do all my "pleasure" reading on my Kindle - and I do read a lot - I have Amazon's Kindle Unlimited Free reading - and luckily, your novel was one of the titles available. Smiley Happy

At the moment - I'm into Devil's Bargin by Robin James  (A legal,thriller, murder genre).  Yours will be a nice change of pace, I think.

If you wish - I can do a review after reading .  On Amazon and here or just one, or neither; whatever is your pleasure. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9,918

Please consider my novel, Adman Cowboy. If you liked viewing the television series Mad Men, you will enjoy reading Adman Cowboy which is also set in the advertising business. Go to admancowboy.com for details including a complete excerpt of the first chapter, story overview, author bio, reviews, and purchasing link to Amazon.com.

Thanks everyone. This project was the #1 item on my bucket list when I retired. Please give it a good look.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9,918

@nyadrn   Diane have not seen you in ages!  I love the movies based on Pat Conroy's books but have never read one! 

I have 2 library books on my night stand.  Varina by Charles Frazier and The Vatican Princess by C W Gortner.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 9,918

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Where the Crawdads Sing.

Incredible.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/567281/where-the-crawdads-sing-by-delia-owens/9780735219090...

I just ordered this one. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 9,918
AS AN UPDATE- FINISHING HENRY MILLER'S "THE ROSY CRUCIFIXION"- W/ "SEXUS," BOOK 1- STILL HIM AT HIS BEST, DESPITE MISOGYNY & COARSE LANGUAGE,; SOMETIMES, BEAUTIFUL PROSE REDEEMS IT.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views