What's everyone reading?

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 981 of 9,942

LDV, Remarkable Creatures is on my wish list, and I think I will like it.  

In Response to Re: What's everyone reading?:

I just finished Tracy Chevalier' s Falling Angels.  I know that several of you have read this one and Girl With a Pearl Earring, and I seem to remember that Falling Angels​ was not recommended as highly.  I have to agree.  I found it hard to relate to any of the characters, and didn't really care what happened.  I hoe I enjoy my next read more than this one.

Jan

Posted by jgaff55

Jan, I read both books and  liked them.   I also read a third book from Chevalier which I liked the best, Remarkable Creatures.  

Posted by LaDolceVita

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading? Constellation of vital Phenomena

Message 982 of 9,942

Sue,

I am also reading that book. I like it. Shows the devastation of the wars in Chechnya - and the waste of all wars everywhere. I am learning alot about the time period and the locale that we didn't learn about through the news over here. Without our newspapers and news magazines how will we know what is ahppening in places like that? That is why I read historical fiction. It makes you think and often sends you to books to find out what is true.

Val

I'm about to start reading"A Constellation of Vital Phenomena" by Anthony Marra. The novel is set in Chechnya,an 8yr old girl,Havaa's house has been torched by Russian soldiers,who took her father into custody. Her neighbor across the street,Akhmed finds her in the forest alone with a blue suitcase. They seek refuge at an abandon hosptial only one doctor,Sonja to care for the wounded The story is what happens  to Havaa,Akhmed,Sonja  over the next 5 days. I've read good reviews about this book Sue

Posted by lefty5222

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading? Philippa Gregory

Message 983 of 9,942

I am a fan of Philippa Gregory.  She has written many historical fiction books about the Plantaganets and Tudors, one of my favorite periods in English history.  My local library is well stocked with her books. The White Queen is very good historical fiction, not a Young Adult book.  Doglvr I think you will enjoy it.

Lannon,  I believe the 1st book in the Cousins' War series is the Lady of the Rivers.  I have not read the entire series, but have  read the Red Queen.    I was pretty familiar with the history in the White Queen but  the Red Queen cleared up some of my confusion regarding John of Gaunt's progeny and how their lives developed.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 984 of 9,942

I just finished Tracy Chevalier' s Falling Angels.  I know that several of you have read this one and Girl With a Pearl Earring, and I seem to remember that Falling Angels​ was not recommended as highly.  I have to agree.  I found it hard to relate to any of the characters, and didn't really care what happened.  I hoe I enjoy my next read more than this one.

Jan

Posted by jgaff55

Jan, I read both books and  liked them.   I also read a third book from Chevalier which I liked the best, Remarkable Creatures.  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 985 of 9,942

I'm about to start reading"A Constellation of Vital Phenomena" by Anthony Marra. The novel is set in Chechnya,an 8yr old girl,Havaa's house has been torched by Russian soldiers,who took her father into custody. Her neighbor across the street,Akhmed finds her in the forest alone with a blue suitcase. They seek refuge at an abandon hosptial only one doctor,Sonja to care for the wounded The story is what happens  to Havaa,Akhmed,Sonja  over the next 5 days. I've read good reviews about this book Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading? The White Queen by Philippa Gregory

Message 986 of 9,942

In Response to Re: What's everyone reading? The White Queen by Philippa Gregory:

Taking a chance that this post may be understandable on this site. I did read this book and loved it although not my regular choice for reading. Are there other books in this series? Other cousin series mentioned but I have only read this but have much time for readin in this winter that won't quit..

I love Philippa Gregory but haven't read The White Queen.  I thought this was a Young Adult book so didn't look to read it.  If it isn't tell me and it'll be on the top of my list.

In Response to Re: What's everyone reading? The White Queen by Philippa Gregory:

While browsing yourtube I noticed that there is a British mini series available titled  "The White Queen".    I usually like the British shows and this may be a good one.  

Posted by LaDolceVita

Posted by lannnn

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 987 of 9,942

Loved Carl Hiaasen's Bad Monkey..only one I've read from that author...have read most all of Lisa Gardner and only disliked one..can't remember which one. Have finished J K Rowlings The Cuckoo's Calling and can't wait for her next one...The Silkworm coming out in June...she is the author of Harry Potter series and the book was so good....entertaining writing, murder mystery with just enough characters I could keep track of...best I've read in awhile and I read a lotSmiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 988 of 9,942

Jan-

I like Lisa Gardner & her Dective D.D. Warren series is very good.  Catch Me took me 3 days to read.

-Bev

Good morning,

I am reading Catch Me, by Lisa Gardner.  It is part of the Detective D.D. Warren series.  I know that several of you read Lisa Gardner, and I think I have seen this book mentioned here.  I have mixed feelings about this series, but I am really liking this one so far.  

Jan

Posted by jgaff55

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 989 of 9,942

Last night I started Bad Monkey by Carl Hiaasen.  Good book so far.

Posted by JonnieZ

I love Carl Hiassen's books! I've read them all.

Kathy S.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 990 of 9,942

Last night I started Bad Monkey by Carl Hiaasen.  Good book so far.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo