Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 1021 of 9,951

I just finished Freud's Mistress for my book group which meets tomorrow.  Very interesting but leaves me with a lot of questions that I'll have to look into

A gook I had on hold I'll pick up Friday.  It's Radiance of Tomorrow by Ishmael Beah and my other book which I just requested is The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes which was highly recommended to me.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1022 of 9,951

Hi, Val,

I'm thinking of borrowing A STAR FOR MRS. SMITH from the library. How did you like it?

Edie

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1023 of 9,951

In Response to Re: What's everyone reading?:

In my previous post I mentioned about book "The Secret Rooms" byCatherine Bailey.I finished it yesterday,I enjoyed it,but it was too long,at 425pgs. I skimmed the last 100pgs because it became boring at the end for me. Sue

Posted by lefty5222

Sue, No matter what the book is, if it is too long, I get bored and lose interest.  I'd be tempted to say this is a sign of age, but I has always felt that way. You are not alone!

Edie

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 1024 of 9,951

Hi everyone,

I am still reading Closest Comapnion, about FDR and Daisy Suckly.  It is mostly the letters the 2 of them wrote to one another and I only read it in short spurts.  It is a fairly long book but I will read it in its entirety.  Lots of history to mull over.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 1025 of 9,951

In my previous post I mentioned about book "The Secret Rooms" byCatherine Bailey.I finished it yesterday,I enjoyed it,but it was too long,at 425pgs. I skimmed the last 100pgs because it became boring at the end for me. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 1026 of 9,951

The book I'm about to read is"The Secret Rooms"by Catherine Bailey.A true story about what really happened to the 9th Duke of Rutland who died alone among family archives in 1940. His son&heir,Charles ordered the room sealed. Sixty yrs later,the author was one of the first historians to be allowed inside,basis of her book is reading the Duke's letters,learning family secrets. When I first saw the book,I was intrigued,reminded me of same period when "Downton Abbey"{huge fan of show} is set. Sue

Posted by lefty5222

I have this book noted on my want-to-read list.  I am looking forward to reading it.  -  Melanie

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1027 of 9,951

Recently read The Ocean at The End of the Lake by Neil Gaiman which was good and just started Stardust which is better.  I loved The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.

One of my all time favorite books is, There Eyes Were Watching God, which the last time I read was out loud to my husband as he was moving on.  Special story.

Posted by Ridgie

Ridgie,

I recall Their Eyes Were Watching God, having to read it in college for a Women in Literature class...it was very touching and the dialect was somewhat difficult, if I am remembering the book correctly.

I am halfway through The Triple Package by Chua and Rubenfeld and also reading Adriana Trigiana's The Supreme Macaroni Company and J.K. Rowling's The Cuckoo's Calling. Had to begin that one as it came through from library...don't really like to read three...one nonfiction and one fiction at the same time is ok.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 1028 of 9,951

My downfall is groups like this one.  I want to read every book mentioned.  Just finished The Botticelli Secret by Marina Florato (about an hour ago, in fact).  This book gave me a very different slant on Botticelli.  It also gave me a grand tour of Italy.  Now to go on to the next.  Have many to choose from.  Maybe another Stephen Kind.  After Botticelli I need something relaxing, if Kind can be called relaxing.  I am surrounded by unread books that I can pick & choose.

I also have an audiobook going on my tablet & a book on my Kindle.  I'm always amazed that I can keep them straight as I "read" these 3 books sometime during the day.  At least I'm never bored with all my "friends".

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 1029 of 9,951

Recently read The Ocean at The End of the Lake by Neil Gaiman which was good and just started Stardust which is better.  I loved The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.

One of my all time favorite books is, There Eyes Were Watching God, which the last time I read was out loud to my husband as he was moving on.  Special story.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1030 of 9,951

Just finished "Fatherland" by Robert Harris. Was best seller in the '90s, but since I buy so many books at library and AAUW sales, I get to books late. Premise is Germany won the war and it's 1964. Really a detective story and well written. I was on vacation, however, and friends wanted me to keep the cover hidden since it had a swastika on it and thought it would be misinterpreted.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users