Find answers to your Social Security questions in the AARP Social Security resource center.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 1021 of 9,930

Gina, I am not sure but it looks like part of your post was cut off.  I  have read about Chua in a Time magazine piece when her first book came out and some people were angry with her at that time.  There are more positive comments on Amazon than negative ones regarding this last book, but the 1 star reviews are funny!    Actually one star reviews on many books are funny.  I remember one on a Latin grammar book, Latin for Dummies.   It was to the effect that Latin is not for dummies and if you are a dummy work on learning you native tongue.  It was said much funnier than how I am giving you the gist of it.  I still smile when I think of the comment.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading? Hi LDV, Not sure why people would br upset wth Amy Chua's book...it is mostly statistics and demographics...I wonder how many who reviewed it actually read the book:) coming from a counseling and teaching background, I

Message 1022 of 9,930

In Response to Re: What's everyone reading?:

Tiny bit of snow today...schools and businesses closing early....am reading The Triple Package by Amy Chua and Jed Rubenfeld....it's interesting. She is the one who wrote controversial book Tiger Mom....

Posted by gina333

Hi Gina,  I glanced at thee reviews of the book on Amazon and boy some people are angry!    The reviews are an interesting read for sure smiley.   Chua hit a nerve again.  

Posted by LaDolceVita

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 1023 of 9,930

Tiny bit of snow today...schools and businesses closing early....am reading The Triple Package by Amy Chua and Jed Rubenfeld....it's interesting. She is the one who wrote controversial book Tiger Mom....

Posted by gina333

Hi Gina,  I glanced at thee reviews of the book on Amazon and boy some people are angry!    The reviews are an interesting read for sure smiley.   Chua hit a nerve again.  

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1024 of 9,930

Edie,

I read "Don't Go". I agree a very good read.

Jade

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1025 of 9,930

Hi, everybody!

I am reading "Don't Go" by Lisa Scottoline. One of her best mysteries, IMHO

Edie

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1026 of 9,930

I just started "Death of a Dowager" by Joanna Campbell Slan last night.  I've never read anything by her, so far its good.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1027 of 9,930

This has certainly been quite a winter so far, with more to come.  But as bad as it has been in Michigan, I know it has been worse in other places.  I hope all of you are keeping safe and warm.

I just finished Haunted Ground by Erin Hart.  It is a modern Irish mystery based around the discovery of a "bog body" - a well preserved corpse discovered in a peat bog.  It was a little slow at first, but when I got past that I couldn't put it down.  I'm looking forward to reading more by this author.

Next up is The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter.  According to the bookjacket, it is "a reimagined Midsummer Night's Dream, mean and women speak of and desire their ideal mates; parents seek out their lost children; adult children try to come to terms with their own parents and, in some cases, find new ones."  This is a change of pace for me. I hope Ilike it.

Jan

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1028 of 9,930

I read The Yard a few weeks ago, and I agree.  Definitely a bit gruesome, but fascinating, especially the forensic bits.

Jan

I just finished "The Yard" by Alex Grecian.  Its a good read, however, there are some gruesome passages.  It does give you a sense of 1889 London.

Posted by jade1948

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1029 of 9,930

I just finished "The Yard" by Alex Grecian.  Its a good read, however, there are some gruesome passages.  It does give you a sense of 1889 London.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 1030 of 9,930

I mentioned in a previous post about the book"The House Girl" by Tara Conklin.I finished it this afternoon,a wonderful debut novel from the author,really enjoyed it. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs