What's everyone reading?

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 1041 of 9,942

I just finished "The Yard" by Alex Grecian.  Its a good read, however, there are some gruesome passages.  It does give you a sense of 1889 London.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 1042 of 9,942

I mentioned in a previous post about the book"The House Girl" by Tara Conklin.I finished it this afternoon,a wonderful debut novel from the author,really enjoyed it. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1043 of 9,942

Maybe several people are without power do to this new winter storm?

Val

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1044 of 9,942

Tiny bit of snow today...schools and businesses closing early....am reading The Triple Package by Amy Chua and Jed Rubenfeld....it's interesting. She is the one who wrote controversial book Tiger Mom....

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1045 of 9,942

Yes, it has been very quiet here. We should be reading since it's been so cold across the country. I am reading The Secrets of Mary Bowser by Lois Leveen. It is about a freed slave who goes back to the south to help free slaves via the Underground RR and work for the abolitionist cause.

The book club is reading The Healing by Jonathan Odell. It is about a healer on a southern plantation during a cholera epidemic among the slave.

I am listening to The Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff - a successful NY women befriends an 11 year old panhandler and they meet once a week from then on. True story.

Val

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading? Livia, Empress of Rome by Matthew Denison

Message 1046 of 9,942

I love everything about Rome during the Republican days and the 50 or so years after.  This was no exception.  Awful quiet here!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 1047 of 9,942

I've just started reading"The House Girl" debut novel by Tara Conklin. Its story of 2 women,Josephine a 17 yr old run away slave from Virginia in 1852. Carolina Sparrow living in modern time is a young,ambitious lawyer  working on a historic class action case, seeking damages for descendants of American slaves. The book goes back&forth between the 2 characters. I can't put the book down Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1048 of 9,942

Just finished a book that has been around for a long time -- "The Talented Mr. Ripley" by Patricia Highsmith. Know it was a movie, but now think they should have reversed the Jude law, Matt Damon parts. Anyway. Enjoyed it

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1049 of 9,942

OMGoodness, the All Girl Filling Sta sounds like something I would enjoy, but I promised my daughter I would read The Time Keeper, glad to hear it is good, too. I have Queen of the Big Time and another of her books; off to Barnes & Noble for the other two books.

Until I started reading Adrianbi Trigiani's books, I was not a book reader, only enjoyed magazines, mostly with decorating, gardening and vintage topics.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1050 of 9,942

I've recently read several by Trigiani and liked them.  A friend recommended Queen of the Big Time, so I'll read that when I go back to books by her.  I read the All Girl Filling Station book recently, too, and loved it.  Fannie Flagg is great with characters, in my opinion....you feel as if you know them.

ann

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors