Super Contributor

What's everyone reading?

Hi everyone,

Thought
I'd get my thread started here on what's everyone readingI'm currently
reading John Grisham's "The Summons".  It's very interesting and I hope to finish it
sometime todayWhat's on your coffee table, nightstand or end table?

Janese

Kudos
Views
Replies
Trusted Social Butterfly

Yea,i was very frustrated not getting back in.I called AARP on Mon talked to representive and vented. He told me'we did the update on Sun because that's the slowest day,not many people online" I almost said'you got to be kidding". Let's hope no more new changes for awhile.

I just finished last night"The End Of Your Life Book Club" by Will Schwalbe,true story about his mom,MaryAnn who battles cancer. Will&his mom spend countless hrs in waiting rooms while she endures her chemo treatments. To pass time,they talk about books they've read,begin to trade and start their own book club. I finished the book in 3 days,wonderful tribute to his mom. Some of the books mentioned I've read,others I've never heard of before. I highly recommend it,anybody in group read this? Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Hi folks,

I couldnt log with my password , had to use the "forgot your password"  function and reset.  Some people are reporting that they can change page numbers,  but this is not the case for me.  I can only view the last page.  Still lose the box I am posting in after hitting the enter key.  I was hoping these issues would be fixed.  We regular posters are shabbily treated.

I am almost finished with the above book.   A few slow parts but on the whole I am glad I stuck with it.  I grew to like the characters and Michener's style  and use of language is pleasing.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Ruth,

I read "A Conspiracy of Faith." I think it is the best of the three.

Val

In Response to Re: What's everyone reading?:

I really enjoyed The Keeper of Lost Causes: The First Department Q Novel  and The Absent One: A Department Q Novel by Jussi Adler-Olsen. (He's a Danish author.) I really enjoy how he and his two assistants work on col cases.

His new book A Conspiracy of Faith  has just been released. If my library doesn't get a copy soon, I will order one.

I have just completed the latest Simon Serrailla Mystery by Susan Hill. The action takes place in Lafferton, a small English town.

Posted by Ruth08

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi all,just read a wonderful book"The Orchardist" by Amanda Coplin,her debut novel. The story is about a reclusive orchardist,William Talmadge who grows apples&apricots on the land he loves in Washington State at the turn of 20th century. Two pregnant teenage sisters,Jane&Della show up one day at his orchard,story envolves from  there. I loved it,took me 4 days to finish. The next book on my 'to read list' is"The End Of Your Life Book Club" by Will Schwalbe.Sue

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thanks for the information.  I am writing these down so I can check them out.  The only disadvantage to a e-reader is the purchase of books which I have tried to break that bad habit a couple of years ago.

I am going to my local library to see if they have instructions on how to access and download their library of electronic books.

Thanks again, that is why I love this site.  We are never too old to learn new things.

Paula

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Spinner!

I thought of you today as I watched a movie on the Lifetime network titled TRAPPED .  It is based on a book written by one of your favorites, Greg Iiles. One thing I didn't like about that movie was that Kevin Bacon is a bad guy.  I like that guy!

Edie

0 Kudos
Contributor

Paula~

You can also try Bookbub.  This is where I get my free e-books.  I have a kindle but when you sign up they aske if you have the kindle or nook.  You do get daily e-mails with diffrent books.  They also have a list @ sign-up of the genre of books that you prefer.  Thanks LDV - I also will be trying books.org. Spinner & Sally you are both missed. Hope all is well with them.

-Bev

In Response to Re: What's everyone reading? The House at Otowi Bridge:

LDV,

The House at Otowi Bridge sounds very interesting.  I will check my library and also the other books you have mentioned.

I am reading The Lincoln Letter by William Martin, good historial suspense story goes back and forth in time.

I have not read any of his books but they seem to be popular. 

Where's Spinner? I saw that James Lee Burke has a new book out and I know he loves this author.

Paula

Posted by pk7094

Paula this book is a free download @ http://bookos.org.  The site is down today but has an amazing number of free ebooks.

Yes, where is Spinner?  And where is Sally?  This group is no longer the busiest group on AARP.  I really like it that is was the busiest for many months.

Posted by LaDolceVita

0 Kudos
Contributor

LDV,

Thanks for the website, I was not aware of it but will check it out.  I am spoiled now with a nook and need to start looking for this kind of information.  

I never thought I could become such a fan of an e-reader but I have the advantage of a backlight when reading in bed has become a favorite time of mine.

I am the editor of a newsletter in the condo community where I live in Florida and included an article on E-readers for the residents.  Researsch by German scientists measured reading speed and comprehension, they found people read faster and understood more when using an e-reader. The backlighting on tablets increases the contrast between text and background, which makes seeing each letter easier.

Thanks, LDV

Paula

0 Kudos

Hi Gina,

We in the south are not having our typical hot summer!  Here in Ga we have only hit 90 a few times and not for very many hours.  It rains almost every day.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

LDV,

The House at Otowi Bridge sounds very interesting.  I will check my library and also the other books you have mentioned.

I am reading The Lincoln Letter by William Martin, good historial suspense story goes back and forth in time.

Where's Spinner? I saw that James Lee Burke has a new book out and I know he loves this author.

Paula

Posted by pk7094

Paula this book is a free download @ http://bookos.org.  The site is down today but has an amazing number of free ebooks.

Yes, where is Spinner?  And where is Sally?  This group is no longer the busiest group on AARP.  I really like it that is was the busiest for many months.

0 Kudos

Hi All,

Hope everyone is staying cool while enjoying their books...we have had some lower temps and even days of rain here in July in Texas...so lucky for the break from intense heat. Just finished Andrew Gross' 15 Seconds and enjoyed the exciting quick read...not hard to follow and the library had it...always a good thing:) Tried my first James Patterson novel called Second Honeymoon...his latest...along with a partner author and it seemed liked they wrote the parts of the story on their own and tried to merge them when they got together...kind of a mess...so probably not try another of his. 

Am reading Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews...always easy reads and accessible style.

Hope all are well...have not seen some on here in awhile......

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Where are you, Spinner?

Where are you, Spinner?

Edie

0 Kudos
Contributor

LDV,

Paula

0 Kudos

Very interesting book, non fiction, recommended by a new memeber on the "Welcome New Member s" thread.  The  true story of Edith Warner, a school teacher from Pennsylvania who moves to New Mexico for health reasons. She falls in love with the area & lives there mostly alone at first and later with help from the Pueblo Indians.  She opens a tea room and makes a living selling refreshments to tourists and later the scientists at Los Alamos.  A fascinating piece of history and a fast read.  I am so intrigued that I will follow this with other related books,  In the Shadow of Los Alamos by Edith Warner  and The Woman at Otowi Crossing by Frank Waters.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Edie & Kathy (& Spinner),

I really liked the first book, and plan to read the rest when I can get my hands on them.  My library only has one or two, so I may have to wait u til I can get them on inter-library loan.

Jan

I love Louise Penny's series of books! I've read all of them, too.

Kathy S.

Hi, Jan,

We here in the Boston area are going through a heat wave, as is most of the country (Bummer!).   I don't have ac but I do have many helpful fans!

Louise Penney is a Canadian author and her Inspector Gamache lives in a gorgeous part of the world in Canada.  I have read that whole series in order.

I think that Spinner  recommended her books.

Speaking of Spinner, where has he gone?

Edie

Posted by EDIENOW

Posted by ksales

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I love those Jussi Alder-Olsen books! He has become one of my favorite writers.

Kathy S.

I really enjoyed The Keeper of Lost Causes: The First Department Q Novel  and The Absent One: A Department Q Novel by Jussi Adler-Olsen. (He's a Danish author.) I really enjoy how he and his two assistants work on col cases.

His new book A Conspiracy of Faith  has just been released. If my library doesn't get a copy soon, I will order one.

I have just completed the latest Simon Serrailla Mystery by Susan Hill. The action takes place in Lafferton, a small English town.

Posted by Ruth08

0 Kudos

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi, Tinker B,

Thanks for telling us about Fannie Flagg's I Still Dream About You. It sounds so good that I'll request it from the library...Right now!

Edie

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi Kathy and Sue (lefty)!

I get mixed up by using the "Reply " button, so I use "New Post" button/space instead.

Faithless is the first, but not the last, Karin Slaughter book I've read.

Have you all heard from Spinner lately?

Edie

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Just started Karin Slaughter's latest, Unseen. I think it will be as good as her others in this series.

Kathy S.

Hi, All,

We here in the Boston area are suffering through a heat wave that won't bring relief until this weekend.  I guess most of you are in the same boat. I mention the heat wave because I feel badly for people who don't enjoy reading in this climate.

I don't have ac, but I do have some terrific fans!

I am currently reading FAITHLESS  by Karin Slaughter; I think I heard about this author on this website.  She's good, IMHO.  I just received a notice from the library that more of my book requests are waiting for pick-up.

Edie

Posted by EDIENOW

Hi Edie,I've read couple of Karin Slaughter's books over the yrs,"Faithless,Blind Sighted,A Faint Cold Fear,Kisscut",like the way she writes, I've kept a journal of all books I've read since 1987. I knew I had read her books couldn't remember what yr LOL!

Last night we had wicked thunderstorms cross thru WNY,today its refreshing with no heat/humidity.Its going to be like this for next couple of days here,thank God! I don't like AC,have fans that keep me cool,reading isn't a problem as long as the fans are working Sue

Posted by lefty5222

0 Kudos

Hello Readers

A few weeks ago I picked up a book at a garage sale - I was attracted to it because it was in large print and the author was Fannie Flagg.  I usually do all my "reading" using cd's and books on tape, but the title, I Still Dream About You, caught my eye; and though I'd never read any of her books before, I always enjoyed Fannie's humor.

The story line is totally different from what I usually choose - no espionage, no spies, no mass murderers, no villainous politicians  The heroine is a 60 something realtor and ex-Miss Alabama who decides to end her life.  The plot is a delight (sounds like a conflict here, eh?) and the rest of the characters are colorful and so much fun.  It had me laughing out loud more than a few times.  I loved it and hated to have it end.  I've passed it on to a good friend, with 2 others waiting in line.

Do give it a try and let me know what you think.  I'm planning to check with my local Library to see if it is available on cd.  I think I'd enjoy listening to it all over again.

Cheers to all, and happy reading,               m a

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, All,

We here in the Boston area are suffering through a heat wave that won't bring relief until this weekend.  I guess most of you are in the same boat. I mention the heat wave because I feel badly for people who don't enjoy reading in this climate.

I am currently reading FAITHLESS  by Karin Slaughter; I think I heard about this author on this website.  She's good, IMHO.  I just received a notice from the library that more of my book requests are waiting for pick-up.

Edie

Posted by EDIENOW

Hi Edie,I've read couple of Karin Slaughter's books over the yrs,"Faithless,Blind Sighted,A Faint Cold Fear,Kisscut",like the way she writes, I've kept a journal of all books I've read since 1987. I knew I had read her books couldn't remember what yr LOL!

Last night we had wicked thunderstorms cross thru WNY,today its refreshing with no heat/humidity.Its going to be like this for next couple of days here,thank God! I don't like AC,have fans that keep me cool,reading isn't a problem as long as the fans are working Sue

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I love Louise Penny's series of books! I've read all of them, too.

Kathy S.

Hi, Jan,

We here in the Boston area are going through a heat wave, as is most of the country (Bummer!).   I don't have ac but I do have many helpful fans!

Louise Penney is a Canadian author and her Inspector Gamache lives in a gorgeous part of the world in Canada.  I have read that whole series in order.

Edie

Posted by EDIENOW

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi, Jan,

Edie

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Edie,

I couldn't remember if I posted anything after I finished "Pictures of You" by Caroline Leavitt.  I really liked the story and the characters.  I did find the ending a bit disconcerting, but it did not take away from my enjoyment of the book.

I finally got the first Louise Penny book "Still Life" through an inter-library loan.  I have been wanting to read her for a while, since several of you have recommended her books.  I have only read a few oages so far, but I think I will like it.

It is hot and humid here in Michigan, but I do have air conditioning.  Since it is too hot to work outside, I should have plenty of time to read.

Jancool

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

After reading your review of The Caller, I'm going to have to read this book!  It sounds very intriguing...

Just finished The Caller by Karin Fossum--kind of a psychological thriller. I loved it--very thought-provoking.

Posted by ksales

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I discovered an new book by Henning Mankell called The Shadow Girls. It is completelt different than his other books. I haven't started it yet, will let you know how it turns out.

Am enjoying Life After Life by Kate Atkinson on my CD player in the car. The narrator is great.

I have almost finished Longbourn by Jo Baker. The story of the servants in the Bennet household is engagingand feels authentic.

Val

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Just finished The Caller by Karin Fossum--kind of a psychological thriller. I loved it--very thought-provoking.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi, All,

Edie

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am currently reading Longbourn by Jo Baker.  It is the story of Pride and Prejudice told from the servants point of view and is excellent so far (123 pages in). If you like Jane Austin books and Downtown Abbey, you will like this book.

Val

Posted by vsandham

Val,

I am a fan of Downton Abby and it looks like Season 4 will be great, Paul G. ( portrayed John Adams) will be Cora's relative.  Can't wait.

PAULA

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Remember playing for hours at the local arcade? Now, play your favorite Atari games like Pong, Centipede, Breakout, Missile Command & Asteroids on AARP Games. Play Now.

AARP Games Atari

AARP Games

Throw it back and play Atari's Missile Command. Grab your arsenal to neutralize your enemy and protect your cities from a missile attack.

You got this!
AARP Games Atari Missile Command
Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits.

Learn more now.
/html/assets/SS-Marketing-Image-300x155.jpg