AARP members get more! Take a look at your member benefits.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: What's everyone reading?

Message 3081 of 9,930

In Response to RE: What's everyone reading? by cindyak

Katherine Hepburn had always been one of my favorite actresses. Had always had great admiration for her and was so disappointed to learn a few years ago that she had been with a married man (Spencer Tracy) for many yearsSmiley Sad Those things were so covered up in those days (no TMZ -camera cell phones, Internet, etc.) And of course actresses/actors were more like legends as they were "owned" by their film studios. I recall reading that her Dad made her and her siblings take an ice cold shower every morning. That would get one going!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Sara Paretsky

Message 3082 of 9,930

In Response to RE: What's everyone reading? by jgaff55

Hi Jan,
I always liked the V.I. Warshawki novels by Paretsky but have not read one in a long time. Maybe I'll take a look for this newer one.

Thanks, arlie

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3083 of 9,930

In Response to RE: What's everyone reading? by EDIENOW

Edie,

Paula McClain wrote 'The Paris Wife', it's about Ernest Hemingway's first marriage with his wife Hadley.  It's historical fiction and from all accounts seems to be quite accurate.  I'm not a big fan of Hemingway, a bit hedonistic for my liking but I thought the book was terrific!

Jeanette

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3084 of 9,930

In Response to The Concrete Blonde, Michael Connelly by Angel-Sally

Concrete Blonde is one of my all time favorite reads!!!  I am so glad you stumbled upon it!

I am reading Girls Like Us, an autobiography of Carly Simon, Carole King and Judi Collins.  I am loving it as it takes me right back to those crazy years and all the fun I had!  I am right there dancing around  in my Indian skirt and tie dye top.....don't remember much else......

Enjoy,

Em

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3085 of 9,930

In Response to RE: What's everyone reading? by gina333

Hi Gina & NanaDi,

There is no one who could make an entrance like Loretta Young on her TV show.  That flip of the skirt & beautiful smile.  She was so pretty & looked like a real lady.  I haven't seen any tapes of her shows, but they're bringing back so many of the old shows so who knows.I also think of Dinah Shore & her kiss at the end of the show.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3086 of 9,930

In Response to RE: What's everyone reading? by EDIENOW

Edie, that's why I go to the library book sale, garage sales, estate sales, and pick up my books there.  I picked up a book a couple of months ago that is the book for our October read at Book Club for $1.00.  Then I will pass it on or donate.  Of course, library is my main connection for books these days.  It is very seldom I can't get a book I want to read from the library.  I still buy a few books but those are mostly recipe books, gardening, or self-help books, or some kind of medical information that I want for reference.

No wonder the bookstores are going under...people like me.  But I've purchased my share of books throughout the years which little by little I'm giving away - some to the library for their book sales.

Sally

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3087 of 9,930

In Response to RE: What's everyone reading? by cindyak

Hi, Cindy,

Sorry you spent good money on that awful bio of Katherine Hepburn.  I'll stick to her movies, too!

Edie

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3088 of 9,930

In Response to RE: What's everyone reading? by Jeanette318

Hi, Jeanette,

I've not heard of The Paris Wife; who wrote it?

Edie

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

The Concrete Blonde, Michael Connelly

Message 3089 of 9,930

Hi everyone.  I spent several hours last night (until almost 2:00 am) reading Concrete Blonde by Connelly.  This is the first I've read by him and I hate to put the book down.  I started it yesterday and I'm over half-way through. 

It's a Harry Bosch mystery and is about a serial murderer known as the Dollmaker who Detective Bosch kills in the line of duty...or was it?  There is a big section on the trial of Detective Bosch and whether or not he was guilty of outright killing the "Dollmaker" because of something that happened in the detective's past.  Can't stay here long, I have to get back to reading.  Sally

P.S.  Michael Connelly reported on crime and the criminal courts for the LA Times and was a member of the newspaper staff that was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for coverage of the city's riots in 1992...so he surely had a lot of information to draw from for his novels.  This was his third Harry Bosch novel.  I'll be reading the others, that's for sure. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

RE: What's everyone reading?BONES OF PLENTY

Message 3090 of 9,930

In Response to RE: What's everyone reading? Bones A Plenty, Middlesex and Silence of the Trees by medvedfan

MONDAY,  August 14 is the title of chapter in this book. I remember shocks of wheat in North Dakota and Threshing and cooking..This past week, saw 2  beaus from those years.  Lucy and Douglas story  is only part of owning land in this area.

I asked " How are things?"

And he said, “They’re all right.”
“What are you doing nowadays?” I asked him.
He answered, “Well, I am working on farm."
“Oh, that’s interesting, still farming.”
“Yes. In fact, I work for the man who used to work for me.
I didn’t have any money to pay him, so I paid him in land. 
Now he owns my farm and I work for him.”
I said, “That’s a very sad story.”
And he replied, “Oh, no; he doesn’t have any money either, so he’s paying me back in land!”
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22