Staying Sharp empowers you to take control of your brain health as you age. Try it today!

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: The Shack

Message 6721 of 9,925

In Response to Re: re: What's everyone reading? by smatthews47

Loved the book it was a book club pick last year.  Please tell me some smut on Oprah!  I think K. Kelly is author and I read her book The Royals about 15 years ago.  I am new to this site and it is a challenge to say the least.  I have not read any Dan Brown as yet but I did like the movies.  I just read all of S. Larsson's books really liked his message sorry he is not around to give us more great reads.  I just read a book The Kitchen Boy it is about the Romanov family and their demise.  The author seems to have done his research and has traveled to Russia over the past thirty some years.

Paula

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

What's everyone reading? Book Talk works again....

Message 6722 of 9,925

Hi everyone,

I am finally getting emails from this group again and see that by clicking forum on the top of the page I am again able to move around to the different topics like we used to before the posts got all messed up. 

I'm always looking for different books suggestions, and even take some of those suggested to me by my online book seller.

I hope it working better for everyone and things will finally get back to "normal" the way they used to be in any event

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: HI, JANESE

Message 6723 of 9,925

I don't know if you'll see this before your surgery or afterwards, but I want you to know that I will be saying lots of prayers on Tues. (and afterwards) for an easy surgery and a quick recovery.  It's GREAT that your hubby will take the rest of the week off and be with  you -- that will be a big help.

We'll all be anxious to hear from you when you are able to post.

I haven't seen any improvements at all in this site, have you??  I have no idea what they are doing behind the scenes, if anything.  They sure haven't given us back any of our features.  In fact, in BOOK TALK here my yellow star does not work, so it is a "pain" to find out where I left off reading.

Also, I've had to make handwritten notes for those of you I want to answer in here because there is no way I could answer the various posts otherwise.

In fact, I just stopped doing my BOOKS UPDATE on Sun. mornings.  I was happy to do so as long as I could look at the "views" and see that I had quite a few faithful readers every week (usually between 60 and 100+ and once over 200!!!).  When I asked for the "views" to be reinstated, I was advised that "this new technology won't allow that".  So why should I go to the trouble when no one may have found their way to it??   GRRRR!!!!!

How were the block party and music festival?  Hopefully terrific and worth putting off the surgery for!!! 

How is your garden doing? How did the hanging tomato plant work out?   I'm envious of those who can have such home-grown goodies!!  I've always been a city gal and never had a garden.

Do you have many books lined up to read as you are recuperating? 

What did you think of DEAR JOHN?  Of course I am waiting to read the book before I move it up to #1 on my Netflix list.

I thought FROM PARIS WITH LOVE (John Travolta) was much better than I anticipated!!  He played the role so well, and I thought it was a "hoot" both the way he handled all the bad guys and tried to teach his young apprentice!!!

VALENTINE'S DAY was also better than I thought it would be.  What a cast!!!  WHEN IN ROME was lighter "fluff", and I now just got BEFORE YOU SAY I DO.  I am entertained by light romantic comedies.

Yes, HOT IN CLEVELAND is really funny!!  And I read it has already been renewed for a second season!!!  How about Betty White getting an Emmy nomination for her SNL performance??

I am enjoying AMERICA'S GOT TALENT (although I can't believe some of the awful ones the judges put through and then eliminated someone like Carlos, the wedding singer with the terrific voice).  I'll be glad to see the top ones finally start performing and people being able to vote instead of just the judges with their "quirky" sense of humor. 

Have you seen the new ROOKIE BLUE?  That is very good.  A couple of my favorites will be returning next week on USA - PSYCH and WHITE COLLAR.

I'm surprised that there will be two new episodes of EASTWICK on TV tonight.  I liked that show, but it was canceled sometime ago.  Apparently ABC is going to run some of the never-seen episodes of several canceled shows on Sat. night.  That would be fine with me!!  Usually there's nothing to watch unless there is a new movie on the Hallmark Channel, which I enjoy watching. 

Again, I am wishing you well, and I'll be anxious to hear how you are doing.

Jackie

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Re: Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 6724 of 9,925

In Response to Re: Re: What's everyone reading? by carolinagal

Thanks for telling me that Beth Hoffman wrote about Cee Cee.   I liked The Secert Life of Bees, although it reminded me of my own childhood in a bittersweet way.  I'll request Cee Cee from the library.

-Edie

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 6725 of 9,925

In Response to Re: What's everyone reading? by EDIENOW

Edie, Saving CeeCee Honeycutt is by Beth Hoffman.  It's really a good read,  It is kind of a read like The Secret Life of Bees.  It has a great plot that slips in quite a few life lessons. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 6726 of 9,925

In Response to What's everyone reading? by carolinagal

Billie,

Thanks for all the book suggestions!

Who wrote SAVING CEE CEE HONEYCUTT and what kind of book is it, as in comedy, romance, mystery, etc.?

I am reading another good (IMHO) mystery by Michael Rotham titled The Night Ferry.

-Edie 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

What's everyone reading?

Message 6727 of 9,925

In Response to : What's everyone reading? by EDIENOW

I'm new to  the site and joined this group because I am an avid reader. After browsing for a while and getting a nice list of good books to try, I felt that it was only polite of me to share some too.  As a southern girl, I've read all of the books by Dorothea Benton Frank, Mary Kay Andrews, Mary Alice Monroe, and Anne Siddons Rivers. Loved them all.  I also love a good mystery so I've read a good many from Harlen Coben, Lisa Gardner, and James Patterson.  As for what I'm reading now, I'm just finishing the 3rd book on the trilogy of the The Girl Who.... Books.  Love them all.  I recently finished The Help and Saving CeeCee Honeycutt.  Loved both of them. I haven't seen Saving CeeCee Honeycutt mentioned and it was a great read.  I also have read all of the novels by Ron Rash.  Superb!!! Anyway, just wanted to tell you something about what I like to read and mention a couple of books that I've read lately. Hope to continue to get good ideas from all of you.  I really prefer reading books that REAL people say are page turners so thanks for all the sharing.

Billie

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6728 of 9,925

Wow, there is some serious reading going on here. I feel like i'm going to be quite slow in getting reviews posted.

At any rate, I just bought Thomas Sowell's book Black Rednecks and White Liberals.  It takes a look at the myths behind stereotypes and why we should avoid them.

This will be my third book by Sowell. He's such a fantastic writer and economist.  Will report on it sometime in the far off future. =)

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 6729 of 9,925

In Response to  What's everyone reading? by bonjovi

Janese,

It is so good to see you here again!

Right now, I am fresh out of library books, so I'm catching up on baseball by reading some of my son's books about it. BTW, Boston dropped two in a row to Tampa this week!  Boo!

I'm listening to Deliver Us From Evil by David Baldacci on my ipod; so far, so good.

Yesterday I requested more books from the libray online.  One of them is Sue Grafton's U is for Undertow , starring Kinsey White Teeth (No, I've never read that one). 

-Edie

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6730 of 9,925

Just finished Juliet by Anne Fortier...it was great.  It won't be out until August, but I had won it on a book website. Reviews for Juliet have been posted on Goodreads, LibraryThing, and Shelfari.

Currently I am reading another book I won The Clouds Beneath the Sun by MacKenzie Ford.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season