Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 6791 of 9,922

In Response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What's everyone reading? by bonjovi

Janese,

Why do you suppose that there are asterisks in place of the word "of" in your post?

I read A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton and thought it was awesome.  Definitely a one-of-a-kind story.

Drats! I don't know how to reply to your post regarding Kinsey and the dentist because it is covered up. Sorry!

-Edie

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 6792 of 9,922

In Response to Re: What's everyone reading? by tntgranny

Omigosh!

I've never heard of the "Nook"!  I listen to books on my ipod through audible.com.  Is the Nook like this, or more like Amazon's Kindle?

-Edie

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 6793 of 9,922

Just got a Barnes & Noble "Nook" and am reading all kinds of books.  The nook came with some books already downloaded on it - Dracula one of them.  I have downloaded some classics - Complete Jane Asten for 1.99, Complete Sherlock Holmes, etc.  I have currently reading the Wizard of Oz - probably my favorite movie of all time.  The download included ALL 15 BOOKS in the series - and I'm looking forward to reading all of them.  I love my nook - it's unbelievable to me that I can carry over 1500 books in a device that is smaller than most books I used to carry.  Sorry if this sounds like an advertisement but I am so happy with it - I've read 4 books in the 6 days since I got it. 

null
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6794 of 9,922

In Response to Re: What's everyone reading? by Angel-Sally

I just finished The Postmistress, takes place in winter of 1941 in London and on Cape Cod. Girl reporter is covering London bombings and plight of European refuges trying to reach ships in Lisbon and the same time the life in Cape Cod as war reaches nearer. Wonderful book. Great characters.

Have just started Saturday and  also Shakespeare by Bill Bryson a very fav writer of mine. My to- read list is having lots of new books added. Good crop this year I think.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6795 of 9,922

What is with the narrow format on most of these posts???  One or two words to a line?  Taking up too much space! 

Anyhow, I'm reading Everything Is Broken:  A Tale of Catastrophe in Burma by Emma Larkin which states on the inside cover book flap "a deeply reported account of life inside Burma in the months following the disastrous Cyclone Nargis and an analysis of the brutal totalitarian regime that clings to power in the devastated nation."  I'm on page 77 and trying to decide whether or not to give up.  I want to finish it but it is frustrating because it seems repetitive - because the government had/has so much control, most of the detail is "second-hand" because few people were allowed in to see for themselves.  It is so hard to understand a government that won't allow humanitarian aid from other countries into their country to help all the people with food and water, health, etc.  Dead bodies and body parts laying around decomposed without anyone to bury?  I'm reading this trying to understand this country a little better.  There is enough interest for me to keep reading but it makes you want to scoop up the military leaders who are keeping the potential help out - and drop them into the middle of the ocean with no boat.  I know that is harsh but what they have done is unconsciousable - is that a real word???

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: KATHY

Message 6796 of 9,922

In Response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: KATHY by bonjovi

Hi J

Next in the pile that I just started is Sole Survivor another Koontz book and I am getting the feeling I have read this before.  I don't know about you but there have been books of the years that I start and then realize I have read them..  oh well.. I pass them along anyway .  Koonz is pretty good but not King.. imho of course : )

Isn't yours from the Author with the books that follow the alphabet? 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6797 of 9,922

In Response to Re: What's everyone reading? by dvansant

Sounds interesting and different.  Can't wait to hear your review.

Janese

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: KATHY

Message 6798 of 9,922

In Response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: KATHY by nyadrn

Hi Diane,

I tried Dean Koontz once but didn't care for him.  I've always preferred Stephen King and think he's far superior.  Just my opinion of course.   Thanks for stopping by.  What are you going to read next?  I'm finishing my Sue Grafton book N is for Noose and then I'll finish Brick Lane by Monica Ali.

J.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6799 of 9,922

My girlfriend just bought me the book "Bacon: A Love Story: A Salty Survey of Everybody's Favorite Meat."

Since I could probably eat bacon at every meal, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Will report back to the group once I'm done.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: KATHY

Message 6800 of 9,922

In Response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: KATHY by EDIENOW

Hi all you book readers over here..  you have been really busy.  Janese, you are a posting machine my friend.  wow  I am impressed : )

Just finished Dean Koontz  Relentess.  It was pretty good..  although I thought the end was kind of weak.. and they always put him up against King  and I think they are too different but it was def worth reading.

Diane

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera