Super Contributor

What's everyone reading?

Hi everyone,

Thought
I'd get my thread started here on what's everyone readingI'm currently
reading John Grisham's "The Summons".  It's very interesting and I hope to finish it
sometime todayWhat's on your coffee table, nightstand or end table?

Janese

Kudos
Views
Replies

A Dance to the Music of Time. This is a series of 12 books, the narrator's experiences from just before WW1, into the 1970's. Characters appear and disappear, only to turn up decades later. The books are a kaleidoscope of life in the UK and sometimes in the USA, and will keep the reader enthralled for many happy hours. 

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Black Bottom Saints: by Alice Randall 

Historical Fiction about a Detriot neighborhood (Black Bottom) known for jazz, sports and politics. Excellent, clever, and educational. A must read.

0 Kudos

Sarah McCoy is a great author of historical fiction.  I have read The Mapmaker and The Baker's 

Daughter.  Great reads!

0 Kudos

Charlotte printess children of the ice one of the best historical fiction books I've read it about 15 times wonderful read

0 Kudos
Contributor

I posted this once but do not see it.  Forgiveness in the First Degree is an easy read àbout the journey of a murderer and the son of the man who was murdered.  It is a true story.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Forgiveness in the First  Degree by Rondol Hammer and Phillip Robinson is an excellent view into the mind of the son of a  store keeper and the man who killed him. It is a quick read.

0 Kudos

Just finished listening to 'Becoming' by Michelle Obama (narrated by her). Oh my! Wonderful! Who does not have or has not gained some respect for this family after listening to this has a heart of stone (IMO of course 😉).

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

My daughter urged me to read Mary Trump's TOO MUCH AND NOT ENOUGH.

It is well written and engaging. If you remove the Trump name it is like a novel

about a very dysfunctional family.  Psychiatrist must be happy to have a light

shown of such damaging events.

It is an interesting read.

Periodic Contributor

Great book The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek  by Richardson  Great read about the depression 

Periodic Contributor

I'm reading A Minute to Midnight by David Baldacci; Fierce, Free, and Full of Fire by Jen Hatmaker (one chapter per day); B is for Burglar by Sue Grafton (the one in my purse and a reread); and Kickbacks, Kayaks, and Kidnapping by Tonya Kappes (ARC for proofreading and review by release date).

0 Kudos

I am reading "Floaties: A Rude Awakening" by Mike Haszto.  It is a sci-fi suspense thriller about the Earth taking back it's planet from the human race.  A bit edgy with language as he sets up and develops his characters, the story settles into excitement with each page and new chapter.  An easy read, it's tough to put down!  His 13th novel.  A++

0 Kudos

Virgil Wander by Leif Enger is excellent. It is a quiet story with engaging characters. The story reminds me somewhat of Garrison Keillor's stories from Lake Woebegone. This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger tells the story of four orphans to travel down the MS River escaping from an abusive orphanage run by the unscrupulous and mean "Black Witch." It is a story of the power of people to overcome tragedy and hardship.

0 Kudos
Contributor

My NAME iS EVA.  by Suzanne Goldring. Such a delightful read. Mrs. E.T. Clarke is in a nursing home and has everyone believing she has dementia. In truth, she is 100% sane and hiding secrets from her past life when she worked in worn torn Germany at the Forbidden Village. It is comical when she is responding in her dementia "mode" and at the same time she is also thinking out loud her next move in order to outwit them. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Countdown 1945: The Extraordinary Story of the Atomic Bomb & the 116 days that changed the World. Chris Wallace 

So very gripping as the author takes you as an observer along as the historic players of this decision and outcome of WWII. Very readable and engaging. If you wish to read a page turning historic book this fall, consider this book.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Nora Roberts "Shelter in Place". Had been waiting for the mass market paperback format!

0 Kudos
Contributor

The Person You Mean to Be by Dolly Chugh 

How to battle biases (in ourselves), include and advocate for others.  Ideas on how to confront difficult issues help us to stand up for our values.   I found this book as a recommendation from a book group. Just starting it.  Looking for practical applications and strategies to participate when connecting is strained or tense.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi everyone, Great story that a lot of people don't know about

Dark Tide: The Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919 .

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi, I just finished reading Sacred Privilege Your Life And Ministry As A Pastor's Wife by Kay Warren.  If you are a pastors wife you know how hard it can Kay helps you get through the hard times with humor and prayer. If you are new to being a pastors wife , I think you will enjoy this book even if you have been a pastors wife for some time this is a enjoyable book.

0 Kudos
Contributor

God’s plan for Israel and the Earth.  Available at Amazon. Very timely. 

0 Kudos

In honor of the Centennial Celebration of the passage of women's suffrage, I just finished a terrific book, "Why They Marched, Untold Stories of the Women Who Fought for the Right to Vote", by Susan Ware. Looking beyond the national leadership of the suffrage movement, acclaimed historian Susan Ware gives voice to the thousands of women from different backgrounds, races and religions whose local passion and protest resounded throughout the land. It devotes each chapter to the individual inspiring stories of dedicated women and men who carried the banner in communities across the nation.

Bonnie

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have discovered Louis Penny and Three Pines with her array of characters that grow and come more alive with every book. I have absolutely fallen in love with this series and reading through the whole series again for second time as I wait for the release of her newest book in September.

Mystery and crime with a heart and awesome characters. Although this place of Three Pines is imaginary I have learnt so much about food language history of Quebec and Montreal I run and Google everything I hear that is unfamiliar. REALLY a GREAT series to get into

0 Kudos

I picked up Celeste Ng's "Little Fires Everywhere."  The portrayal of Shaker Heights, Ohio, its history, it's desire to achieve Black-white integration, also socio-economic integration, was fascinating -- all within the context of a story of two families from different sides of the tracks (literally), whose children became fast friends.  Made me want to visit this little suburb.

0 Kudos

little fires everywhere -- good series on hulu

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have two books that are great.   A Dog's Purpose and A Dog's Way Home.

I have dogs myself and i was told to read the first one a while ago but then i found his later book myself.  They are so well written in the context of the dog talking.  Not a child's book, these are adult books.  

I also just finished a series by Guideposts. Mysteries of Wayfarer's Inn.  they arrived each month and i couldn't wait for the arrival to find out what next happened.   Civil War background history,  story is written in current times,  it is fascinating to see the mystery and figure it out.  You get one of the famous inn's recipes at the end.  I wish it would go on and on but i finished the series. darn it.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Looking for a fun read? One with satire, belly laughs, sharp insight into humanity, politics,. A book that will make you laugh & think. Actually not a book; but, 41 books all written by Terry Pratchett. You can start with any book – maybe Witches Abroad or Guards, Guards. Just go to wherever you get your books. Your local library is a good place to start.

0 Kudos

Hi. My name is Carol Colbert and I am a senior and write books. All of my books are clean and cozy most are very funny. I have 33 books available in PRINT, E-Format and all are being put on audio right now, with 9 titles already up. Available on audio at Amazon. Print and Ebook formats Amazon and where ever books are sold on line. Romance, Ghost Series, Drama,  Mystery, something for everyone. All of my books are set in Michigan, with a nod to the downriver area. I hope you check me out. On FB at Books by Carol Colbert and my website of the same name.  Thank you for your consideration. .

0 Kudos
Contributor

I just finished the book by Nicholas Sparks, "Every Breath".  Set in North Carolina, a chance encounter with a visitor from Africa leads to a romance but time and family commitments separate the two characters over several years.  I won't spoil the rest of the story 😉

0 Kudos
Contributor

Just finished, "The Henna Artist" by Alka Joshi.  Loved it!  Set in India in the 1950's.  Take your time and enjoy it.  This is her first book and took her 10 years to write.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I highly recommend The Huntress by Kate Quinn. A story set during WWII, Quinn puts women back into history where they belong. This is a story that includes the female Russian bomber pilots (The Night Witches) and female Nazi hunters. I couldn't put this book down. Very exciting. And the story about the Night Witches of Russia I never knew until I read The Huntress.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: Juggling Caregiving Amidst Coronavirus this Holiday Season

Join AARP's Family and Caregiving Expert Amy Goyer to uncover the best ways to navigate the holiday season with your loved ones. Ask and Learn Now.

AARP Members Only Games

Was Breakout your favorite Atari game? Ready to knock out some bricks? AARP Members, now's your chance.

Don't let the ball hit the ground!
AARP Members Only Games Atari Breakout
Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits.

Learn more now.
/html/assets/SS-Marketing-Image-300x155.jpg