Super Contributor

What's everyone reading?

Hi everyone,

Thought
I'd get my thread started here on what's everyone readingI'm currently
reading John Grisham's "The Summons".  It's very interesting and I hope to finish it
sometime todayWhat's on your coffee table, nightstand or end table?

Janese

Kudos
Views
Replies

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens is an interesting and enjoyable page turner.  Next up is New Iberia Blues by James Lee Burke - my all-time favorite author.

Contributor

Where the Crawdads Sing is an excellent book!
0 Kudos
Contributor

I read that during the winter and really loved it.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I absolutely loved Where The Crawdads Sing and will read it again!

Contributor

Agreed -- good coming of age story!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Anything by Jack Du Brul

0 Kudos
Contributor

I’ve listened to ‘Midnight at Chernobyl’. Didn’t get the physics but fascinating picture of the old USSR. 

Also highly recommend: ‘Leadership’ by Doris Kerns Goodwin. 

0 Kudos

I just finished reading "Postcards From a Stranger" by Imogen Clark. It deals with a woman whose father has Alzheimers and the secrets that have been kept from her that she discovers. Very good read!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

My wife and I've been reading books together for nearly 40 years, and the one we began yesterday is journalist Isabel Wilkerson's _Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents_. (A dear friend had recommended Wilkerson's _The Warmth of Other Suns_ and we bought a copy, which is still on our stack  : ) When we finish this recent one, that earlier one's going to move up several spaces on that teetering stack!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen and Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. Both reads will make you think!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Not to far back I complete "Wanderers" by Chuck Wendig.  I found it uncanny how so much of this novel about a pandemic mirrored what we are seeing happen in the US today.  I highly recommend it.  It is engrossing and thought provoking.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm currently reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Why I have reached sixty-three years old and never read any Capote?  He's a very good writer with a long list of creds.  If you like true crime, this is a good story.

0 Kudos

'Rocket Billionaires: Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and the New Space Race', by Tim Fernholz

A great book about the changing dynamics of space travel, and the effect that the new 'rocket billionaires' have on our plans for travel and exploration in space, and the advantages they have over established prior space companies, such as Lockheed-Martin, Boeing, etc.. Exciting, too, in that the new chapters in space are being written every day in the news.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I am reading The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead.  He had written the book The Underground Railroad.  The book is about a "school" for delinquents, highlighting the mistreatment of blacks in this reformatory vs the white boys.  It is  a brutal observation of our views on race, definitely not for everyone's taste.  A boy hitchhikes a ride to a school where he is hopeful to get a better education but the car is stolen and he is arrested along with the driver, as an accomplice.  He winds up in the Nickel School for Boys where he finds even minor infractions result in brutal punishment, as he tries to serve his time.  

Excellent book; I really enjoy Whitehead's writing, in this book, and on his others..

0 Kudos

This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel

A must read to help understand how a family handles a child born as one sex but displays a desire to behave as the other.   It is not an in your face account and is told as a novel.   A wonderful read on so many levels.

0 Kudos

I have been reading several series by Haper Linn, She has the Cupcake Series, Granny's Series, Scandal Savannah Series and Crepe Murder Series, and several others, you can get many for for free on Amazon Prime, really entertaining and just light fun reading.  They are mysteries, but not real intense. 

For a easy to read book for becoming a better person and understand ourselves.  Can be read alone or in a group Study. The book uses scriptures, new stories and self reflection. Tracie is a school teacher, and has many life struggles but still loves life and shines. book is available at BookBaby.com

https: //store.bookbaby.com/book/seeking-gods purpose

If you want to know more Instagram#TracieZweifelAuthor

0 Kudos

James Patterson, "The Invisible".  I think that this is one of his best novels.

I have also began to read all of the Lisa Gardner novels. They are all great. I have read about 15 of them. Can't go wrong. 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

B-17 Gunner by Craig Kleinsmith. It is the story of Charles Eyer who was a ball turret gunner in WWII. I knew Charlie and I also know Craig the author. Charlie was one of the nicest and funniest people I've ever known. To read about what he endured during his service is both sad and humbling. This man was a true American!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Nudge by Thaler and Sunstein. A surprisingly readable and enjoyable book that combines two complex subjects: Human Behavior and Public Policy.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am reading the Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths. I love the characters and the atmospheric setting in Norfolk, England. It combines archaeology with mystery and some interesting history. The characters so relatable.  It is a lot of fun. 

Conversationalist

Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents 

By Isabel Wilkerson

A great read!

Periodic Contributor

Next on my list‼️‼️
0 Kudos

I have just finished reading: Elizabeth Chadwicks:  The Summer Queen, The Autumn Throne and the Winter Crown (Eleanor of Aquitaine series).  Great reading and am now reading David Baldacci's A Minute to Midnight. 

Conversationalist

As I reflect on the lives and legacies of three civil rights icons, Congressman John Lewis, Rev C.T. Vivian who passed July 17, 2020 and Rev Joseph Lowery, March 27, 2020, I'm reading/rereading books/articles and listening to audios of speeches that focus  on their struggles, contributions and dedication to the movement and racial justice and equality for black Americans.

Currently, I'm rereading "Walking with the Wind: A Memoir of the Movement" by John Lewis

Contributor

nothing to say

0 Kudos
Contributor

nothing to say

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert. Very entertaining story about theater life in the 1940's. Very entertaining, and amusing. 

YOGI: A Life Behind The Mask by Jon Pessah. Sure to be the definitive biography of Yogi Berra. 

Social Butterfly

Team of Rivals

by Doris Kearns Godwin

Simon and Schuster  (2005)

Just starting the book. After his unlikely win, Lincoln talked his political rivals (all of whom thought they were better qualified to be president) into joining his cabinet. This is the story of how they fought the war together.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: Juggling Caregiving Amidst Coronavirus this Holiday Season

Join AARP's Family and Caregiving Expert Amy Goyer to uncover the best ways to navigate the holiday season with your loved ones. Ask and Learn Now.

AARP Members Only Games

Was Breakout your favorite Atari game? Ready to knock out some bricks? AARP Members, now's your chance.

Don't let the ball hit the ground!
AARP Members Only Games Atari Breakout
Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits.

Learn more now.
/html/assets/SS-Marketing-Image-300x155.jpg