Super Contributor

What's everyone reading?

Hi everyone,

Thought
I'd get my thread started here on what's everyone readingI'm currently
reading John Grisham's "The Summons".  It's very interesting and I hope to finish it
sometime todayWhat's on your coffee table, nightstand or end table?

Janese

Kudos
Views
Replies
Social Butterfly

I am enjoying the most interest book written by Mary Gabriel about a woman with

a hell-raising history.  Among many other things, she was the first woman to ran

for President.  She and her sister were the first women to open an office on Wall Street. Her life was like a live soap opera. She was ahead of her time and perhaps ahead of our own.

The title is Notorious Victoria. It is well research and rich in Victorian history.

I think men would find it as interesting as women do.

Conversationalist

"Race Against Time" by Jerry Mitchell. Investigation into the murders of James Chaney, Medgar Evers and the 16th Church bombing in a effort to make those responsible accountable for their crimes.

Periodic Contributor

I am currently reading J.K. Rowling's, "The Casual Vacancy". It's better than it's title.  And it's worth reading if you like to try to understand a little something about human interactions and maybe why we humans treat each other the way we do. Very interesting.

Contributor

Just started reading Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver.

Trusted Contributor

I like all of Barbara Kingsolver's books.  My favorite two are "The Bean Trees" and "Pigs in Heaven".

I read both at least once a year.

I am currently reading "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards.

Trusted Contributor

Killers of the Flower Moon - The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI

"In the 1920s, the richest people per capita in the world were members of the Osage

Nation in Oklahoma.  Then, one by one, the Osage began to be killed."

Interesting story of the attempt to steal the Osage's land with oil reserves.

Trusted Contributor

Who   wrote that? Would like to take a look.Have become a big fan of William Least Heat-Moon's work(Blue Highways, etc.)& he speaks of Osage heritage.

EVEN A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES BEGINS WITH A SINGLE STEP.
Honored Social Butterfly

In Cold Blood. Truman Capote

what can I say. It is a classic. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Social Butterfly

NOW ENGROSSED IN HEAT-MOON'S ROADS TO QUOZ"- AN AMERICAN MOSEY"-I'D RECOMMEND ANYTHING HE'S WRITTEN. HE ADDRESSES N.A. ISSUES IN A LOW-KEY WAY. IF YOU WANT TO LISTEN TO CURRENT, AS WELL AS TRADITIONAL. N.A. MUSIC& INFO, RADIO STATION KNON 89.3 (COMMUNITY RADIO- THE VOICE OF THE PEOPLE) IN FORT WORTH, HOSTS "BEYOND BOWS AND ARROWS " PROGRAM SUNDAY NIGHTS 6-8 P.M. CDT.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Social Butterfly

CORRECTION- KNON 89.3 IS BASED IN DALLAS, NOT FORT WORTH.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The Clockmaker's Daughter.  Kate Morton

This story moves through different times and told through different characters and is sometimes hard to follow but so far it is a very interesting story. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Recognized Social Butterfly

@nyadrn   Hi, good to see you post here.  The  Clock Maker'sDaughter sounds good I think I will order from library.  @TomD857140   Great suggestion, the Killers of the Flower Moon, I plan on ordering that one too. 

I have been reading historical fiction by Anne O'Brien and and C W Gortner.  They write novels about historical figures other writers have pretty much ignored.

Super Contributor

Downloaded & now reading Killers of theFlower Moon.  Thanks for recommendation.  Now will download The Clockmaker's Daughter.

I'll never catch up with my reading.

Regular Contributor

This was a Huge Eye Opener for me when I read it. Our Native Americans were treated so poorly in the advancement of our govt seeking land expansion and control. What a shame.  Wonderful book. 

Conversationalist

I'm currently reading "Overstory" by Richard Powers. It was a Christmas gift. Just finished re-reading several of Toni Morrison's books. 

Social Butterfly

JUST FINISHED RE-READING  WILLIAM LEAST HEAT MOON'S "BLUE HIGHWAYS"- WOW- SO GREAT I DIDN'T WANT TO FINISH IT. AM STARTING HIS  "ROAD TO QUODZ " NEXT. IN THE MEANTIME, GRAHAM GREENE SHORT STORIES- ENGROSSING,  EASY READ &  VERY WELL-WRITTEN.

Regular Contributor

I am re-reading Moon Hunt by W Michael Gear & Kathleen O'Neal Gear. This is the third novel in the Morning Star series. I went back to read the first & second novels again after reading the 4th novel because I forgot alot of the details. The series are fast paced, thrilling stories of mystery, historical facts and love. 

Contributor

Snowfly by Joseph Heywood, Once upon a River by Bonnie Jo Campbell, State University of Murder by Lev Raphael and Terminal Uprising by Jim C. Hines.

Snowfly is a teriffic parable about obsession.

...River is a mid-west noir of a girl's journey.

Lev's newest is a murder mystery amoung the dysfunctional faculty of a mid-west university... no M.S.U.

Uprising-- space janitors, 'nuff said.

Contributor

I recently got interested in the New Sherlock Holmes stories that are written in the last ten years or so. The idea of Sherlock Holmes trying to solve the Jack the Ripper serial murders was intriguing, and I became hooked on this type of mystery story. I'm looking for more great mystery stories and hope that others can give me an idea where to go from here.Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

read John Gresham latest book and a  clive Cussler fan. I am planning to to read more books by local authors for 2020. trying to put aside book for the cold winter months,but keep reading them. i just finshed "A Death in Harlem'

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

FOR ACLASS NOAM CHOMSKY- ONE OF THE MOST DRY& DENSE READS EVER, BUT AN IMPORTANT LINGUISTICS THEORIST. ALSO JUST FINISHED "PRARYERTH, A DEEP MAP" BY WILLIAM LEAST HEAT MOON- ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BOOKS I'VE EVER READ.
Contributor

A few that I have just finished with in the last few months are: Where the crawdads sing, Robin Roberts book-everybody's got something and the silent sister.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Love Where the Crawdads Sing! I devoured it and at the same time didn’t want it to end!

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Am reading John Ellsworth's  Thaddeus Murfee  legal, mystery series.  Easy reading on the Kindle Reader.  All from Amazon's Kindle Unlimited Books program.  It works well. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I am reading Star Path, a novel of North America's Forgotten Past by W Michael & Kathleen O'Neal Gear.  This is the 4th book in the People of Cahokia series.  Their books take me out of today's world and back to the pre-historic civilizations of our Native Americans. 

Social Butterfly

IN A SIMILAR VEIN, AM READING "PRAIRYERTH"(A DEEP MAP) BY WILLIAM LEAST HEAT MOON. FIRST MET HIM IN "BLUE HIGHWAYS" IN 1999 OR SO. THIS IS NEXT BOOK AFTER THAT- DESCRIBES IN (POETIC) DETAIL A SINGLE COUNTY(CHASE) IN SOUTHEASTERN KANSAS. IT IS BEYOND TRAVELOGUE AND REFLECTIONS ON THE ROAD. BEAUTIFUL PROSE & A VERY "DEEP MAP"
Super Contributor

I just finished Sharpe's Escape by Bernard Cornwell.  It's historical fiction, which I love.  Am now reading Dean Koontz's From the Corner of His Eye.  On audio I'm listening to The Egyptian and on my Kindle, The Road to Ruin which is about an Italian who fought with the German army and, now that the war is over, is on his way home.

@doglvr  I have read The Egyptian, loved it.

0 Kudos

So nice to see this thread continue.  One of these days my life will slow down enough to post here again!  

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I'm reading WHY SINATRA MATTERS by Pete Hamill.  This is not a fluffy bio.

Like most of his books Hamill accounts some history, in this case Italiana and Irish immigrants in NY.   It's quite timely.