Staying Sharp empowers you to take control of your brain health as you age. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 41 of 9,925
"SHAME OF A NATION"- JONATHAN KOZOL;
"PLEXUS "- HENRY MILLER
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 9,925

Tina Turner A Love Story

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 9,925
HENRY MILLER'S "PLEXUS"- 1/3 OF HIS "ROSY CRUCIFIXION"- THE MAN CAN BE CRUDE& MISOGYNISTIC, BUT CAN ALSO WRITE STUNNING PROSE.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 9,925

20 years ago, when I first read Zadie Smith's "White Teeth" - I was really impressed. A work of fiction about a British family.  The unique style of writing that this 21 year old author developed was astonishing!  I loved it!   It immediately became a blow-away international best seller.  If you haven't read it - I highly recommend you do so.  Since "White Teeth" - I read a couple more of her books, but did not care much for them.  Am presently reading her "The Autograph Man".  It's going OK.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 9,925
I LIKED "ATLAS SHRUGGED" AS WELL AS AYN RAND'S OTHER BOOKS. THE BOOK CLUB I BELONG TO JUST FINISHED "CATCH22" BY JOSEPH HELLER. READ IT YEARS AGO, MAJOR IMPRESSION WAS THE DEFINITION OF "CATCH-22. BUT ON REREADING IT NOW, I FOUND IT HILARIOUS,WELL DONE,& MEMORABLE. YOSSARIAN IS A UNIQUE ANTIHERO. I SO MISS HIM SINCE I FINISHED THE BOOK.
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 9,925

I tried reading Atlas Shrugged many, many years ago and all I can say is Boring.  Most of the books I read are between 500-1000 pages so the length didn't bother me.   Reading is my addiction & I couldn't imagine wasting time on this book.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 9,925

@MarkL426001 wrote:

Everyone is reading Atlas Shrugged and the Bible judging by the number of sellingSmiley Very Happy 
I'm okay with the Bible, but the Atlas is an epitome of a bad taste the collective human consciousness has. The thing inspiring people here is that that book has the page count of more than a thousand and all this labor was performed by a WOMAN. I'm convinced that after the last chapter, she rolled the pages and set on it, releasing the tensionSmiley Very Happy And the hypocrisy of it just so good. It is supposed to be about the woman who was able to climb the social ladder all by herself. And what do we see in the story. She succeeded, yes, but by having sex with guys. That's just crazy, isn't it? And the division into a definitely bad and good guys is so talented and up to dateSmiley Very Happy
As for good books I've "Making money" by Terry Pratchett. It's a masterpiece in terms of storytelling, humor and the ability of comprehensive explaining of micro and macroeconomics by the means of stories. 
The other I would recommend is "
Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco. It wraps the huge number of historical, religious, linguistic concepts into a greatest detective story of all times. 
Highly recommending both of them. And as for the lists of books, please stop reading all the books from the lists like "100 one must read before they die" I won't explain why, just stopSmiley Happy
So far the best list of contemporary books I've found is this one, сheck a review, for example https://readsreviews.com/32/Madeline-75th-Anniversary-Edition. And it seems that the general public hadn't spoiled the review are written by intelligent people so far.

Apparently @MarkL426001 has a problem with women who write books. Or maybe he just has a problem with women... who knows/cares?

In any case, I'd have to say that his talent for reviewing books likely equals his talent for comedy.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 9,925

Currently reading G. Orwell's "1984" and for the first time on an e-book reader.  There is something about having the tangible book that I miss though.

Ironies....coincidences... quoting here:  "War is Peace...Freedom is Slavery...Ignorance is Strength".

"Doublethink"..."facecrimes" and the lovely "telescreens"

I can't believe that, I never read this previously in all the various books that I have read!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 9,925

RE -READING "BRAVE NEW WORLD" BY ALDOUS HUXLEY-IT IS AMAZING HOW  SOME SCIENCE FICTION (& OTHER) WRITERS SO APTLY  PREDICTED THE FUTURE IN THEIR FICTION. MARSHALL MCLUHAN  WROTE SOMETHING TO THE EFFFECT THAT ARTISTS & WRITERS ARE OUR TRUE PROHETS, FOR ONLY THEY CAN PREDICT THE FUTURE.

THIS BOOK PREDICTS WIDE-SPREAD  ANTI-DEPRESSANT USE( SOMA),& VIRTUAL REALITY("FEELIES"), ETC.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 9,925

Becoming Michelle Obama

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season