Caring for a loved one? Find a part-time job that fits your schedule. Search the AARP Job Board.

Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 1 of 9,878

RE -READING "BRAVE NEW WORLD" BY ALDOUS HUXLEY-IT IS AMAZING HOW  SOME SCIENCE FICTION (& OTHER) WRITERS SO APTLY  PREDICTED THE FUTURE IN THEIR FICTION. MARSHALL MCLUHAN  WROTE SOMETHING TO THE EFFFECT THAT ARTISTS & WRITERS ARE OUR TRUE PROHETS, FOR ONLY THEY CAN PREDICT THE FUTURE.

THIS BOOK PREDICTS WIDE-SPREAD  ANTI-DEPRESSANT USE( SOMA),& VIRTUAL REALITY("FEELIES"), ETC.

SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9,878

Becoming Michelle Obama

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9,878

I like to read the books written by Debbie Macomber.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

The Winning Mindset That Saved My LIfe

Message 4 of 9,878

I am thrilled to announce that my new book was released last Thursday,   The Winning Mindset That Saved My Life, has already achieved #1 seller in 3 categories on Amazon!   It is the inspirational story of my journey from overcoming cancer to crossing the finish line at the most difficult, one-day endurance race in the world and becoming a leading advocate for cancer research and finding a cure for this horrible disease. 

As Michael Sokoloff, M.D., F.A.C.S. writes in the Foreword of the book, “This is an inspirational journey and one that any patient with cancer or other life-threatening or life-altering obstacle should read and incorporate into their daily routines and rituals.  I highly recommend it for my patients and my colleagues as every person confronts tribulations, impediments, and challenges that can be overcome with a winning mindset.” 

All net proceeds from the sale of the book will be donated to cancer research and education.

The Winning Mindset That Saved My Life has a second bottom line; an impact where the book is leverage, a tool for visibility; a means of expressing a higher message and platform. The larger purpose or calling of the book will enable me to educate and again fundraise for ZERO Cancer.  ZERO’s pedigree continues to increase.  It is ranked a four out of four-star philanthropic organization by Charity Navigator.  A key financial performance metric is the percent of a charity's total expenses spent on the programs and services it delivers – ZERO’s is 94.4%.

It is widely reported that cancer mortality rates have dropped; down nearly two percent since 2015. On the surface, it’s a good step toward minimizing the pain and suffering endured by many families, but one important detail that the media and medical advisors have glossed over is that prostate cancer deaths jumped 10 percent last year. It’s the largest jump in prostate cancer deaths in a decade, according to the American Cancer Society. A man dies every 18 minutes from prostate cancer.  1 in 9 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer (1 in 6 African American).  To put that in perspective, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer.   

This is very much a grass roots endeavor, e.g. self-published, no agent, social media.  

If this book impacts just one person; that’s my definition of success.  As the widow of a prostate cancer victim says, “As a caretaker, fellow advocate, and recent widow of one of Tom Hulsey’s brothers in the fight against Prostate Cancer, Tom’s book uplifted me and showed me the road to begin overcoming my grief and loss. His inspiration is helping heal my anger and face my denial as I learn to live without the love of my life. I will be forever thankful to know Tom, and to have gained from his story of hope and perseverance.” - Casey Fults

I’ve grown to appreciate the value of serving a greater cause than my own self-interest; making a positive impact on Humankind!  To quote Jackie Robinson, “A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives. 

Evangelizing & Advocating for Men’s Health, 

Tom Hulsey

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9,878

Sure Supergirl – I’d be happy to do that.

Here is a partial synopsis (don’t want to give too much away):

The breathtaking story of five brothers who bring each other up in a world run by their own rules. As the Dunbar boys love and fight and learn to reckon with the adult world, they discover the moving secret behind their father’s disappearance. 

At the center of the Dunbar family is Clay, a boy who will build a bridge—for his family, for his past, for greatness, for his sins...more

Here is a link:  www.goodreads.com/book/show/7767276-bridge-of-clay

The style is really indescribable; don’t know that I’ve ever encountered this style …  Maybe – eclectic?

And – it is fiction.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9,878
just realized I already commented about this book, I better head over to the cognitive area and exercise my brain, sorry
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9,878

"The Addiction Spectrum"  This book just came out a few weeks ago and I've just started reading it.  It is written by a pediatrician Dr. Paul Thomas who I follow on You Tube.  I have no addiction that I know of... unless its a food addiction.  Which is what Im exploring.  The main reason I got this book is because I really like Dr. Thomas and as a nurse I like reading and learning.   https://www.harperacademic.com/book/9780062836885/the-addiction-spectrum/

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9,878
CAN YOU INCLUDE A LINK TO SYNOPSIS OR DESCRIBE THE AUTHOR'S STYLE? FICTION OR NON-FICTION?
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 9,878

"A Bridge Of Clay" by Narkus Zusak.  It just came out, so I don't even have it yet,but will order soon.  This is the author who wrote the great story "The Book Theif" (one of the best books I ever read). 

It has taken the author 13 years to write this book!!  Am really looking forward to it.

Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 9,878
"I AM CHARLOTTE SIMMONS " BY TOM WOLFE-I'D READ ANYTHING HE'S WRITTEN- ALWAYS A GREAT NOVEL, ESPECIALLY "THE RIGHT STUFF',"BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES","HEAT", ETC.
Kudos
Views