Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 41 of 9,922

20 years ago, when I first read Zadie Smith's "White Teeth" - I was really impressed. A work of fiction about a British family.  The unique style of writing that this 21 year old author developed was astonishing!  I loved it!   It immediately became a blow-away international best seller.  If you haven't read it - I highly recommend you do so.  Since "White Teeth" - I read a couple more of her books, but did not care much for them.  Am presently reading her "The Autograph Man".  It's going OK.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 9,922
I LIKED "ATLAS SHRUGGED" AS WELL AS AYN RAND'S OTHER BOOKS. THE BOOK CLUB I BELONG TO JUST FINISHED "CATCH22" BY JOSEPH HELLER. READ IT YEARS AGO, MAJOR IMPRESSION WAS THE DEFINITION OF "CATCH-22. BUT ON REREADING IT NOW, I FOUND IT HILARIOUS,WELL DONE,& MEMORABLE. YOSSARIAN IS A UNIQUE ANTIHERO. I SO MISS HIM SINCE I FINISHED THE BOOK.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 9,922

I tried reading Atlas Shrugged many, many years ago and all I can say is Boring.  Most of the books I read are between 500-1000 pages so the length didn't bother me.   Reading is my addiction & I couldn't imagine wasting time on this book.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 9,922

@MarkL426001 wrote:

Everyone is reading Atlas Shrugged and the Bible judging by the number of sellingSmiley Very Happy 
I'm okay with the Bible, but the Atlas is an epitome of a bad taste the collective human consciousness has. The thing inspiring people here is that that book has the page count of more than a thousand and all this labor was performed by a WOMAN. I'm convinced that after the last chapter, she rolled the pages and set on it, releasing the tensionSmiley Very Happy And the hypocrisy of it just so good. It is supposed to be about the woman who was able to climb the social ladder all by herself. And what do we see in the story. She succeeded, yes, but by having sex with guys. That's just crazy, isn't it? And the division into a definitely bad and good guys is so talented and up to dateSmiley Very Happy
As for good books I've "Making money" by Terry Pratchett. It's a masterpiece in terms of storytelling, humor and the ability of comprehensive explaining of micro and macroeconomics by the means of stories. 
The other I would recommend is "
Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco. It wraps the huge number of historical, religious, linguistic concepts into a greatest detective story of all times. 
Highly recommending both of them. And as for the lists of books, please stop reading all the books from the lists like "100 one must read before they die" I won't explain why, just stopSmiley Happy
So far the best list of contemporary books I've found is this one, сheck a review, for example https://readsreviews.com/32/Madeline-75th-Anniversary-Edition. And it seems that the general public hadn't spoiled the review are written by intelligent people so far.

Apparently @MarkL426001 has a problem with women who write books. Or maybe he just has a problem with women... who knows/cares?

In any case, I'd have to say that his talent for reviewing books likely equals his talent for comedy.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 9,922

Currently reading G. Orwell's "1984" and for the first time on an e-book reader.  There is something about having the tangible book that I miss though.

Ironies....coincidences... quoting here:  "War is Peace...Freedom is Slavery...Ignorance is Strength".

"Doublethink"..."facecrimes" and the lovely "telescreens"

I can't believe that, I never read this previously in all the various books that I have read!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 9,922

RE -READING "BRAVE NEW WORLD" BY ALDOUS HUXLEY-IT IS AMAZING HOW  SOME SCIENCE FICTION (& OTHER) WRITERS SO APTLY  PREDICTED THE FUTURE IN THEIR FICTION. MARSHALL MCLUHAN  WROTE SOMETHING TO THE EFFFECT THAT ARTISTS & WRITERS ARE OUR TRUE PROHETS, FOR ONLY THEY CAN PREDICT THE FUTURE.

THIS BOOK PREDICTS WIDE-SPREAD  ANTI-DEPRESSANT USE( SOMA),& VIRTUAL REALITY("FEELIES"), ETC.

SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 9,922

Becoming Michelle Obama

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 9,922

I like to read the books written by Debbie Macomber.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

The Winning Mindset That Saved My LIfe

Message 49 of 9,922

I am thrilled to announce that my new book was released last Thursday,   The Winning Mindset That Saved My Life, has already achieved #1 seller in 3 categories on Amazon!   It is the inspirational story of my journey from overcoming cancer to crossing the finish line at the most difficult, one-day endurance race in the world and becoming a leading advocate for cancer research and finding a cure for this horrible disease. 

As Michael Sokoloff, M.D., F.A.C.S. writes in the Foreword of the book, “This is an inspirational journey and one that any patient with cancer or other life-threatening or life-altering obstacle should read and incorporate into their daily routines and rituals.  I highly recommend it for my patients and my colleagues as every person confronts tribulations, impediments, and challenges that can be overcome with a winning mindset.” 

All net proceeds from the sale of the book will be donated to cancer research and education.

The Winning Mindset That Saved My Life has a second bottom line; an impact where the book is leverage, a tool for visibility; a means of expressing a higher message and platform. The larger purpose or calling of the book will enable me to educate and again fundraise for ZERO Cancer.  ZERO’s pedigree continues to increase.  It is ranked a four out of four-star philanthropic organization by Charity Navigator.  A key financial performance metric is the percent of a charity's total expenses spent on the programs and services it delivers – ZERO’s is 94.4%.

It is widely reported that cancer mortality rates have dropped; down nearly two percent since 2015. On the surface, it’s a good step toward minimizing the pain and suffering endured by many families, but one important detail that the media and medical advisors have glossed over is that prostate cancer deaths jumped 10 percent last year. It’s the largest jump in prostate cancer deaths in a decade, according to the American Cancer Society. A man dies every 18 minutes from prostate cancer.  1 in 9 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer (1 in 6 African American).  To put that in perspective, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer.   

This is very much a grass roots endeavor, e.g. self-published, no agent, social media.  

If this book impacts just one person; that’s my definition of success.  As the widow of a prostate cancer victim says, “As a caretaker, fellow advocate, and recent widow of one of Tom Hulsey’s brothers in the fight against Prostate Cancer, Tom’s book uplifted me and showed me the road to begin overcoming my grief and loss. His inspiration is helping heal my anger and face my denial as I learn to live without the love of my life. I will be forever thankful to know Tom, and to have gained from his story of hope and perseverance.” - Casey Fults

I’ve grown to appreciate the value of serving a greater cause than my own self-interest; making a positive impact on Humankind!  To quote Jackie Robinson, “A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives. 

Evangelizing & Advocating for Men’s Health, 

Tom Hulsey

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 9,922

Sure Supergirl – I’d be happy to do that.

Here is a partial synopsis (don’t want to give too much away):

The breathtaking story of five brothers who bring each other up in a world run by their own rules. As the Dunbar boys love and fight and learn to reckon with the adult world, they discover the moving secret behind their father’s disappearance. 

At the center of the Dunbar family is Clay, a boy who will build a bridge—for his family, for his past, for greatness, for his sins...more

Here is a link:  www.goodreads.com/book/show/7767276-bridge-of-clay

The style is really indescribable; don’t know that I’ve ever encountered this style …  Maybe – eclectic?

And – it is fiction.

Kudos
Views