Super Contributor

What's everyone reading?

Hi everyone,

Thought
I'd get my thread started here on what's everyone readingI'm currently
reading John Grisham's "The Summons".  It's very interesting and I hope to finish it
sometime todayWhat's on your coffee table, nightstand or end table?

Janese

Kudos
Views
Replies
Social Butterfly

"I AM CHARLOTTE SIMMONS " BY TOM WOLFE-I'D READ ANYTHING HE'S WRITTEN- ALWAYS A GREAT NOVEL, ESPECIALLY "THE RIGHT STUFF',"BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES","HEAT", ETC.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

"Proust was a Neuroscientist" by Jonah Lehrer. It is hard to describe, but simply put pairs artists/poets/ creative types with the hard science disciplines that influenced them or vice-versa. Very thought-provoking & definitely worth a look. Some of the artists/writers included are George Eliot, Paul Cezanne, Gertrude Stein,Walt Whitman.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Periodic Contributor

My Tales Growing Up in Long Beach! 

amazon.com/author/chuckmosle

CM_MTG_RGB.jpg

Chuck Mosley - My Tales Growing Up in Long Beach
Periodic Contributor

My Tales Growing Up in Long Beach! 

amazon.com/author/chuckmosley

Chuck Mosley - My Tales Growing Up in Long Beach
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

"PHILOSOPHICAL DOCUMENTS IN EDUCATION"- JOHNSON^&REED; THOUGH A BIT ACADEMIC- WORTH READING.
Social Butterfly

I'm reading "What Does This Button Do?: An Autobiography" by Bruce Dickinson. 

New York Times Best Seller

A long-awaited memoir from the larger-than-life, multifaceted lead vocalist of Iron Maiden, one of the most successful, influential and enduring rock bands ever.

91fHl+6plyL.jpg

Recognized Social Butterfly

@BLSDFATIMA  Glad you posted this, sounds like one I will enjoy.  

I am glad to see all you new posters!  This thread goes back a long way and I would loveto see it continue.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I FINISHED IT & MISSED IT WHEN IT'S GONE ! TO ME, THAT IS THE MARK OF A GOOD BOOK AND/OR GOOD WRITER. IT'S DEFINITELY WORTH A READ!
0 Kudos
Contributor

I just finished the first book in a new cozy mystery series that features two women detectives - one is 67 years old and the other is 71!   The Ghost Busting Mystery is the first in the Shady Hoosier Detective Agency series from author Daisy Pettles

Ruby Jane and Veenie are lifelong besties who need more than their social security to get by, so they take jobs as sleuths (since they're nosy anyway) with the Harry Shades Detective Agency - also known as the Shady Hoosier Detective Agency, since Harry's a kind of shady guy...

Ghosts, murder, lost treasure, drunk dog, this book is hysterical fun to read.  Per Daisy's website, two more capers are in Ruby Jan and Veenie's future. 

Super Contributor

I just loved this book, 100 yr. Old Man etc.  I think I laughed at every page.  We don't get much to laugh at these days so this book was a godsend.  I recommended it to everyone & they all felt we need more books like this one.

I just listened to the audio book One Good Dog by Susan Wilson.  It's about a fighting pitbull who escapes & finds his way to a man whose whole life is coming apart.   I have the book Racing in the Rain by the same author which I haven't started yet.  Hoping it's as good as One Good Dog.

Social Butterfly

WHAT A GREAT TITLE! HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE AUTHOR'S STYLE ?
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The 100-hundred-year-old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am reading the one and only Ivan and wonder.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Not read those yet, but that age range is really for adults, too. Phantom Tollbooth, Indian in the Cupboard and From the Mixed Up Files.... are for all ages.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Becoming Michelle Obama

Social Butterfly

IF SHE WRITES AS WELL AS BARACK, A MUST READ!
Social Butterfly

"MY LIFE WITH THE CHIMPANZEES" - JANE GOODALL. IT'S WRITTEN FOR JUVENILES, BUT STILL WELL-DONE & FASCINATING.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I've just finished listening to a series of audiobooks by David Rosenfelt, read by Grover Gardner.  It's about a dog-loving attorney, Andy Carpenter, and his associates; and it's filled with intrigue, wit, humor, and warmth.  Enjoyed them so much!  Wish Mr. Rosenfelt and Mr. Gardner would crank them out much faster.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I RECOMMEND "MARLEY & ME" BY__? WELL DONE
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@BLSDFATIMA wrote:
I RECOMMEND "MARLEY & ME" BY__? WELL DONE

Really? I've been looking at that one but for some reason I haven't gotten it yet. Maybe I'll put it in my wish list...

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Just began the Queen's Lover by Francine Du Plessix Gray.  It is about Axel von Fersen,  Queen Marie Antoinette's paramour.   Wellwritten and entertaining if you enjoy historical fiction.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

"GO SET A WATCHMAN"- HARPER LEE'S FOLLOW UP TO "TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD".( OR WAS WRITTEN BEFORE & NOT PUBLISHED UNTIL A FEW YEARS AGO ?)"MOCKINGBIRD " IS A STUNNING BOOK& I'M REALLY GLAD TO REVISIT ANYTHING SHE WROTE.
Contributor

The Rooster Bar

By: John Grisham

0 Kudos
Contributor

I want to make AARP readers aware of my husband, Michael Connolly's, latest book … but few are chosen: A Different Path to Coming of Age. I think it will be particularly appealing to those who remember what growing up in the 1950s was like. I am the one who actually encouraged Michael and his co-authors to write this book after listening to them talk so enthusiastically about how their seminary experience had positively changed their lives.

…but few are chosen is the story of three boys coming of age in the mid-1950’s. Growing up in working class Irish Catholic neighborhoods in the Northeastern United States, they are desperate to escape lives of loneliness, petty crime, and violence. At the age of thirteen, ready to enter high school they each come to the same life changing, and possibly life-saving decision–to enter a seminary and begin their journeys toward the priesthood.
The book chronicles Mike, John, and Ollie’s fears, frustrations, hopes, and dreams while they proceed on their very unique path to adulthood via St. John’s Atonement Seminary in Montour Falls, New York. There, the three meet, eventually become lifelong friends, and begin the transition to being successful and contributing members of society. Lives that would undoubtedly have ended poorly are turned around in the structured, orderly, caring, and predictable life of the seminary. For the first time the boys come to realize that life is more than just raised voices and clenched fists. Led by priests on the faculty they learn responsibility, restraint, patience, and concern for others. They develop determination without aggression, and apply their new-found abilities to study, sports, and relationships.

What they’re saying about …but few are chosen

Compelling, plain-spoken account of growing up in 1950’s America.  Haunting and beautifully-written.  William Klaber, author of The Rebellion of Miss Lucy Ann Lobdell

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=but+few+are+c...

Regular Contributor

Recently read Wrong Side of Goodby. Still thrumming from it. What was left out was as spellbinding as what was written.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I LOOK FORWARD TO READING IT.
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I just finished The Nightingale (Hardcover) by Kristin Hannah.  It about the French covert reistance to the NAZI take over of their Country.

Well written and well worth reading.

Super Contributor

I loved that book.  I only read hardcovered books since most of the books I read are in the 400 & up pgs. and paperbacks of that size are hard to read while eating.  Also, they don't hold up well.

But that's just one of my quirks (of many)

Social Butterfly

I HAVE A SIMILAR QUIRK(& THE USE OF ONLY ONE HAND,) SO A BOOK OF OVER 300 PAGES IS VERY DIFFICULT TO HOLD & READ IN BED, AS IS MY CUSTOM. BUT IF IT'S AN INCREDIBLE BOOK ( LIKE "WAR & PEACE", FINNEGAN'S WAKE" OR THE COMPLETE WORKS OF ALLEN GINSBERG, I WILL TRY. READ ON!
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I'm now reading Above by Isla Morley.  I sometimes wonder where authors get their ideas.  The book is about a girl who is kidnapped & kept in a bomb shelter because Armaggeden (spelling?) is approaching.  Can't wait for the end to find out if she ever gets out.  Right now she's in there 6 yrs.

I finished reading Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind which was so intense I have to wait awhile before starting the 2nd book of the 3 book series.  If you like scifi/fantasy this is the author.

0 Kudos