Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 71 of 9,902

I'm now reading Above by Isla Morley.  I sometimes wonder where authors get their ideas.  The book is about a girl who is kidnapped & kept in a bomb shelter because Armaggeden (spelling?) is approaching.  Can't wait for the end to find out if she ever gets out.  Right now she's in there 6 yrs.

I finished reading Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind which was so intense I have to wait awhile before starting the 2nd book of the 3 book series.  If you like scifi/fantasy this is the author.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 9,902

The Rooster Bar

By: John Grisham

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 9,902
I HAVE A SIMILAR QUIRK(& THE USE OF ONLY ONE HAND,) SO A BOOK OF OVER 300 PAGES IS VERY DIFFICULT TO HOLD & READ IN BED, AS IS MY CUSTOM. BUT IF IT'S AN INCREDIBLE BOOK ( LIKE "WAR & PEACE", FINNEGAN'S WAKE" OR THE COMPLETE WORKS OF ALLEN GINSBERG, I WILL TRY. READ ON!
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 9,902
I LOOK FORWARD TO READING IT.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 9,902

I want to make AARP readers aware of my husband, Michael Connolly's, latest book … but few are chosen: A Different Path to Coming of Age. I think it will be particularly appealing to those who remember what growing up in the 1950s was like. I am the one who actually encouraged Michael and his co-authors to write this book after listening to them talk so enthusiastically about how their seminary experience had positively changed their lives.

…but few are chosen is the story of three boys coming of age in the mid-1950’s. Growing up in working class Irish Catholic neighborhoods in the Northeastern United States, they are desperate to escape lives of loneliness, petty crime, and violence. At the age of thirteen, ready to enter high school they each come to the same life changing, and possibly life-saving decision–to enter a seminary and begin their journeys toward the priesthood.
The book chronicles Mike, John, and Ollie’s fears, frustrations, hopes, and dreams while they proceed on their very unique path to adulthood via St. John’s Atonement Seminary in Montour Falls, New York. There, the three meet, eventually become lifelong friends, and begin the transition to being successful and contributing members of society. Lives that would undoubtedly have ended poorly are turned around in the structured, orderly, caring, and predictable life of the seminary. For the first time the boys come to realize that life is more than just raised voices and clenched fists. Led by priests on the faculty they learn responsibility, restraint, patience, and concern for others. They develop determination without aggression, and apply their new-found abilities to study, sports, and relationships.

What they’re saying about …but few are chosen

Compelling, plain-spoken account of growing up in 1950’s America.  Haunting and beautifully-written.  William Klaber, author of The Rebellion of Miss Lucy Ann Lobdell

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=but+few+are+c...

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 9,902
JUST FINISHED A WONDERFUL NOVEL BY RICHARD RUSSO-"NOBODY'S FOOL"& AM NOW RE-READING MY "ZEN BIBLE"-"ZEN MIND, BEGINNER'S MIND" BY SHUNRYU SUZUKI. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND BOTH BOOKS!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 9,902

I loved that book.  I only read hardcovered books since most of the books I read are in the 400 & up pgs. and paperbacks of that size are hard to read while eating.  Also, they don't hold up well.

But that's just one of my quirks (of many)

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 9,902

I just finished The Nightingale (Hardcover) by Kristin Hannah.  It about the French covert reistance to the NAZI take over of their Country.

Well written and well worth reading.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 9,902

@doglvr  I love Philippa Gregory.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 9,902

I got completely carried away with English history, via Philippa Gregory.  Read all her books.  Maybe I should get started on French history.  However my son informed me he bought 10 books of a series by Robert Jordan.

I wish I could read a book with each eyeball, although I'm doing pretty good reading My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell you She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman, and, also, Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind.

Kudos
Views