Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 101 of 9,922

I got completely carried away with English history, via Philippa Gregory.  Read all her books.  Maybe I should get started on French history.  However my son informed me he bought 10 books of a series by Robert Jordan.

I wish I could read a book with each eyeball, although I'm doing pretty good reading My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell you She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman, and, also, Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 102 of 9,922

Have just startd The Enemies of Versailles by Sallie Christie.  Fun and  somewhat light reading.  Learning a bit more about French history than I knew before.  French history has never been my favorite  and this is a fun way to learn..  Not too surprising the revolution followed soon after Louis XV.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 103 of 9,922

Just started

First Frost.

Sarah Addison Allen

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 104 of 9,922

Oh Boy!  Now you are into one of my favorites!  Author C.J Box and his Joe Pickett series.  I really like these a lot.  The author has lived all his life in Wyoming, so writes with great personal knowledge of all things Wyoming.  Great stories and character development.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 105 of 9,922

I've read all the Sue Grafton books in order over a number of years and when she passed away, just shortly after I'd finished Y is for Yesterday, I thought, she must have been ailing when she wrote it and that explained why it just dragged on and on and on.  There was so much in that book that didn't make a lot of sense and it was a sad end to her series.  Still, no wish to criticize her, I did enjoy the majority of the Kinsey Milhone series.

I've been reading the Joe Pickett books, a series about a game warden in Wyoming, by C. J. Box.  There are things I don't like and things I do, the author is currently up to the sixteenth in the series, having released about one a year, going back to about 2001.  I've read the first ten and liked the tenth one the best of all.  

I've started The Secret History by Donna Tartt, we'll see.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 106 of 9,922

So many people love Sue Grafton books and I am one of them.  I felt awful that she couldn't do the Z letter because all I could think of was zebras & wondered what she was coming up with.  Unfortunately, she couldn't finish the series because of her death but I wonder what Martin's excuse is for not giving us the last 2 Game of Thrones which he had promised.

I read the 5 and then, like everyone else, was left dangling.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 107 of 9,922

Am reading P is for Peril.  This is book number 16 in Sue Grafton's series of mysteries.  Each of her book titles starts with a letter of the alphabet.  The first one was A is for Alibi,, and so on.  The continuing character is a female,  twice divorced, former cop, private investigator.

Grafton's last alphabet based book ends with "Y" - as that one was published in August last year - She died last December.  RIP Sue.  You'll always be around thru people like me enjoying your books.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 108 of 9,922

I finished The Samurais Garden by Gail Tsukiyama yesterday.  In spite of the sadness of the book, I found it a very relaxing book.  It takes place in Japan at the time when they were warring on China.  The characters are a young man who is recovering from tuberculosis and is being taken care of by the caretaker of his late grandfather's house, and a woman who is a leper.  Sounds awful, but I loved the book.

I also started Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind last week.  As I said previously, I love sci-fi but this is a large book with a lot going on so I'm also reading No Man's Nightingale by Ruth Rendell, a much easier read.

I'm trying to catch up with my reading but, yesterday, I picked up 2 more books to add to the pile.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 109 of 9,922

Books, books, books.  It will never end.  My son called to tell me he found a book I'm going to love.  Something about wizards.  Did I mention I love sci-fi & fantasy?  In the meantime I had just come home from our transfer station, where we take trash & recyclables.  They also have a swap shop where people can bring things like dishes, furniture & anything else that they don't want but others can use.  I came home with 6 books.  Now I'll check them out on Amazon as to whether I want to keep them or donate them to our hospital.  The hospital puts the books in the waiting room & they're there for the taking.  It's amazing how many people come in just to find a book.  

It makes me feel good to know so many are reading "real" books.  I'm also impressed by the ages.  On Monday, the day I volunteer, I had a wonderful conversation with a guy, age about 24, about the book he was reading.  Turns out it's the sequel of a book that I finished last month which is good because the sequel is not a "stand alone" book.  The series, sci-fi, has to be read in order.  Good to know. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 110 of 9,922

Reading Eat Cake   Jeanne Ray

Good story about a family facing issues (as we all do) and how they deal with things.. 

Author also write Julie and Romeo.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views