Today, 1 in 7 Seniors Live in Poverty -- AARP Foundation is Fighting to End Senior Poverty. Read More.

Super Social Butterfly

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 1 of 9,803
Thought I'd check out the reading section of the forum Smiley Very Happy

I just started reading "Alex & Me" by Irene Pepperberg.

Here is the description from Amazon.com:

On September 6, 2007, an African Grey parrot named Alex died prematurely at age thirty-one. His last words to his owner, Irene Pepperberg, were "You be good. I love you."

What would normally be a quiet, very private event was, in Alex's case, headline news. Over the thirty years they had worked together, Alex and Irene had become famous—two pioneers who opened an unprecedented window into the hidden yet vast world of animal minds. Alex's brain was the size of a shelled walnut, and when Irene and Alex first met, birds were not believed to possess any potential for language, consciousness, or anything remotely comparable to human intelligence. Yet, over the years, Alex proved many things. He could add. He could sound out words. He understood concepts like bigger, smaller, more, fewer, and none. He was capable of thought and intention. Together, Alex and Irene uncovered a startling reality: We live in a world populated by thinking, conscious creatures.

The fame that resulted was extraordinary. Yet there was a side to their relationship that never made the papers. They were emotionally connected to one another. They shared a deep bond far beyond science. Alex missed Irene when she was away. He was jealous when she paid attention to other parrots, or even people. He liked to show her who was boss. He loved to dance. He sometimes became bored by the repetition of his tests, and played jokes on her. Sometimes they sniped at each other. Yet nearly every day, they each said, "I love you."

Alex and Irene stayed together through thick and thin—despite sneers from experts, extraordinary financial sacrifices, and a nomadic existence from one univer­sity to another. The story of their thirty-year adventure is equally a landmark of scientific achievement and of an unforgettable human-animal bond.

Assume nothing. Question everything. And start thinking.
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 9,803

@AlysiaR758419wrote:

Hi, new joining you. I just finished a book by Robyn Carr and am starting one by Heather Graham. My favorite authors are James Rollins, Clive Cussler, Jayne Ann Krentz and Catherine Coulter. I prefer clean romantic suspense and adventure.

Welcome!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 9,803

Hi, new joining you. I just finished a book by Robyn Carr and am starting one by Heather Graham. My favorite authors are James Rollins, Clive Cussler, Jayne Ann Krentz and Catherine Coulter. I prefer clean romantic suspense and adventure.

Author
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 9,803

Am reading Conflict of Interest by Scott Pratt.  This is book #5 in his Joe Dillard series. These are easy to read, fairly exciting thrillers.  Murder mystery genre.

Message 5 of 9,803

The Good Girl  Mary Kubica

A really good thriller!

Message 6 of 9,803

@LaDolceVitawrote:

@nyadrn  I am still recovering from what has happened with mom.  Everything has changed. 

@LaDolceVita  I hope she is improving and I wish you the best!!!

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 9,803

Welcome to this thread all!  It has been long neglected unfortunately.  @doglvr  Historical fiction is one of my favorites too.

@nyadrn  I am still recovering from what has happened with mom.  Everything has changed. 

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 8 of 9,803

This is my 1st visit to the Community forums but the word books just "grabbed" me.  I'm an avid reader & am surrounded by books.  I read anything except romances.  Historical fiction is my favorite, followed by sci-fi.  I just started Ken Follett's World Without End, which is his sequel to Pillars of the Earth.  It took me a long time to start it as it's such a long book, but a page turner, because I have so many other books to get to. 

Is there such an addiction as books?  If there is I'm an addict who doesn't want to be cured.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 9,803
I finished reading "Momma's Chuckles - The Heartfelt and Humorous Journey Through Alzheimer's". Love it! My Momma fought the devastation of ALZ through her witty and humorous remarks! Only book avail with ALZHEIMER'S and Humorous in the same sentence.
Pls review and share. Released March 2018.
Info Seeker

Message 10 of 9,803

I read all kinds of books - old and new. Right now I'm reading Zane Grey's Riders of the Purple Sage, since I was in the mood for a western. I find it quite interesting.

~Michelle~