From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 281 of 9,919

@doglover52 wrote:

The book I'm reading  is"Our Souls At Night" by Kent Hauf.

The story is about 2 neighbors,Addie Moore and Louis Waters,who have known each other for yrs in the small town they live in ,Holt,Colorado. They both lost their spouses,have been living alone for yrs. Addie surprises Louis one day by asking him to come spend the night with her. What I've read so far is wonderful. This will be a quick read,179 pgs. Sue

I finished the book last night,it was wonderful,recommend it. I had read another book of his "Plainsong" which is also good. The author passed away in 2014.

Next on my reading list is "Biography of Jim Henson" by Brian Jay Jones". I know Henson was creator of "Muppets" but not much else. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 282 of 9,919

The book I'm reading  is"Our Souls At Night" by Kent Hauf.

The story is about 2 neighbors,Addie Moore and Louis Waters,who have known each other for yrs in the small town they live in ,Holt,Colorado. They both lost their spouses,have been living alone for yrs. Addie surprises Louis one day by asking him to come spend the night with her. What I've read so far is wonderful. This will be a quick read,179 pgs. Sue

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 283 of 9,919

@doglover52 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

Starting Inside the O'Briens   Lisa Genova

About a Boston police officer who is diagnosed with Huntington's disease and the effects of the disease on his family and his life.

Hi Diane,thanks for this. I've read another book by this author in 2008 "Still Alice". The story is about an English professor who at age 50 has early signs of Altzheimers. It was made into a movie last yr with Julianne Moore,Alec Baldwin and Kristen Stewart. Moore won Best Actress Oscar for her role.

The book and movie are both good Sue

Sue

I saw the move "Still Alice" but have not read that book.. this one was good.  These are hard topics and they are done well.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 284 of 9,919

I read halfway through the "History of Saturday Night Live" but stopped. It became boring because I got tired of reading about  how unhappy actors/comedians,their feuds  with their cast mates,producers,writers. Jane Curtain seemed to me the only sane person during 75-'80 yrs,she didn't do drugs,had a life outside the show,still married to her husband.

The book I'm about to read is"Spymistress" by William Stevenson,true story of  Vera Atkins who became England's  greatest female secret agent during WWII. I've never heard of her,sounds fascinating

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 285 of 9,919

The book I'm about to read is "LIve From New York:Complete,Uncensored History of NBC's long running hit,"Saturday Night Live" written by James Andrew Miller&TV critic,Tom Shales.It may take me awhile since its 745 pages. Sue

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 286 of 9,919

@doglover52 wrote:

The book I've just started is "The Book of Speculation" by Erika Swyler.

The story is about Simon Watson, a research librarian, who has an interesting family thread. His grandmother,mother and sister  joined a traveling circus at different times in their lives. One day he receives an old book from an antique bookseller who tells him he made recognize a name in the book which turns out to be Simon's grandmother. Simon begins to find out what this book means to him&his family.

This is another new author and her debut novel. Sue 

I finally finished this book,yesterday. I didn't like it,became too confusing for me since she goes back in time and to the present,book was too long. Sue

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 287 of 9,919

I have read these three books and enjoyed them greatly. As a comparison I have gone back and read a couple Sherlock Holmes books recently. No comparison in the two, hate to say it but the modern writing is, in this case, much better. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 288 of 9,919

The book I've just started is "The Book of Speculation" by Erika Swyler.

The story is about Simon Watson, a research librarian, who has an interesting family thread. His grandmother,mother and sister  joined a traveling circus at different times in their lives. One day he receives an old book from an antique bookseller who tells him he made recognize a name in the book which turns out to be Simon's grandmother. Simon begins to find out what this book means to him&his family.

This is another new author and her debut novel. Sue 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 289 of 9,919

@nyadrn wrote:

About a Boston police officer who is diagnosed with Huntington's disease and the effects of the disease on his family and his life.

Hi Diane,thanks for this. I've read another book by this author in 2008 "Still Alice". The story is about an English professor who at age 50 has early signs of Altzheimers. It was made into a movie last yr with Julianne Moore,Alec Baldwin and Kristen Stewart. Moore won Best Actress Oscar for her role.

The book and movie are both good Sue

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 290 of 9,919

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors