Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 331 of 9,951

The book I'm reading now is"The Secret Wisdom of the Earth" by Christopher Scotton

The story centers around 14yr old Kevin who witnesses the tragic death of his younger brother,Josh.Kevin&his mom go to live with his grandfather in a coal mining town in Appalachia. Kevin becomes friends with a local boy,Buzzy who teaches him the mysteries of the woods surrounding their homes.

Pops,Kevin's grandfather is the local vet,to help his grandson try to heal after the tragedy,brings him along and soon he becomes his valued assistant.

The book is 466pgs long but I can't put it down,started reading it 3 days ago.I've wiped away tears in some parts. This is a debut novel for the author

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 332 of 9,951

Yesterday,I finished reading "Voices in The Ocean" by Susan Casey,fascinating book about wild dolphins. I had trouble getting thru couple chapters when the author explains how bottlenose dolphins are captured/sold to the highest bidder to marine parks around the world. She mentions the AcademyAward winning documentary,"The Cove' which is located  in Japan,the unthinkable cruelty  the dolphin hunters do. She also mentions,Ric O'Leary who yrs ago trained the 5 female dolphins who played "Flipper' in TV show. He grew to dislike his job,now he is a very active dolphin advocate.

I enjoyed the book,just a tad too long 334 pgs.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 333 of 9,951

The book I've just started is "Voices in The Ocean: Journey Into the Wild&Haunting Life of Dolphins" by Susan Casey. The author had a profound experience swimming with dolphins off the coast of Maui. She wants to learn everything she can about these smart,wonderful creatures.

I've loved dolphins for yrs,it started when I watched the classic TV show "Flipper" '64-'68. Sue

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 334 of 9,951

I just finished Florence Henderson's memoir "Life is Not A Stage",enjoyed it. I learned some facts about her I didn't know.She is the youngest of 10 kids,her father was an alcoholic,sexually &verbally abused Flo when she&her older sister were 12 and 13. Their mother walked out of family when Flo was 12. To this day,she stays in contact with her "Brady Bunch kids". I recommend the book. Sue

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 335 of 9,951

@wilful wrote:

Hi Sue -   " how favorite TV stars started out in life".  

Growing up, I lived in MD.  My one year older sister attended The American Academy of Dramatic Arts in NYC.  One or 2 times - when she came home for a weekend - she brought her classmate (maybe roommate too) with her.  The classmate was Flo.  Of course, this was before she became famous.  She was a nice girl.

Will

Hi Will,how cool is that,how wonderful for your sister&you. I'm reading now where Flo has moved to NYC,about to go to her 1st audition at Amer Acad of Drama Arts. Thanks for telling me about the connection. Sue

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 336 of 9,951

Hi Sue -   " how favorite TV stars started out in life".  

Growing up, I lived in MD.  My one year older sister attended The American Academy of Dramatic Arts in NYC.  One or 2 times - when she came home for a weekend - she brought her classmate (maybe roommate too) with her.  The classmate was Flo.  Of course, this was before she became famous.  She was a nice girl.

Will

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 337 of 9,951

The book I'm about to start is another memoir by one of my favorite "TV Moms",Florence Henderson. The title is "Life Is Not A Stage: from Broadway Baby to a Lovely Lady and Beyond" co written with Joel Brokaw. I'm always interested in reading how favorite TV stars started out in life. Sue

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 338 of 9,951

I just finished reading a wonderful book"The Big Tiny: A Built-It-Myself" memoir by Dee Williams.

The author at age 41,had a heart problem which she continues to deal with. She decides life is too short wants to change her lifestyle,which she does.

In Dee's childhood,she was always interested in drawing buildings,took woodshop in high school,in college she studied architectural engineering,worked with friends who were carpenters.She spends countless hours at the library reading books/manuals.

Her close friends,Hugh&Annie offered Dee for her live in their backyard in Portland,Oregon where she lives today in her 84 square foot house. Dee said it cost her $10,000 to built it by herself,on occassion with help from her close friends.

If you are interested in reading this book,I recommend it Sue

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 339 of 9,951

The book I just finished,"The Inventions of Wings" by Sue Monk Kidd was terrific,I recommend it. At end of book,author describes in detail how she decided to include real people, e.g.Sarah Grimke,her sister Nina,others into the story. I found it fascinating.

The book I'm about to read is"The Big Tiny:A Built-It-Myself Memoir" by Dee Williams.

For the past couple of months,I've been addicted watching HGTV's show "Tiny Houses". People want a different lifestyle, they downsize drastically and either build the'tiny house'  themselves or buy one.

The author of book at age 41 was diganosed with a heart problem,realizes life is too short,she changes her lifestyle,decides to build her own 'tiny house'. Sue

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 340 of 9,951

The book I've just started reading is "The Invention of Wings" by Sue Monk Kidd. The story is set in 19th century,Charleston between,real person, Sarah Grimke who was a aboltionist&suffragette, her fictious slave,Hetty "Handful" Grimke which Sarah received as a present on her 11th birthday. The book follows these 2 women as they shape each other's destinities over a 35 yr span.

The only other book I've read by the author, is "The Secret Lives of Bees' which I loved,didn't like the movie version. Sue

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users