Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 361 of 9,962

I just finished "The Swan Garden" by Anne Biggs. Although a novel, it is based on her birth mother's journals of her experiences in a Mother/Baby Home, the laundries, and of her life after. It was one of those good reads ; I couldn't  put  it down until I finished.     

jud

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 362 of 9,962

Read Susan Goslak's  Lexi Taylor and Ray Jansen mystery/romance series (testing The Waters and Keeping Promises can Be murder). Waiting for the third book(Scared To Death).

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 363 of 9,962

Just finished The Sisters of St. Croix (Diney Coster). The Swans of Fifth Avenue Melanie Benjamin). The Victoria Thompson series; Murder in --------. Collision Course (Alvin Moscow). The Stranger and the Statesman (Nina Burleigh). For our book club we are now reading The Great Gatsby (F.Scott Fitzgerald).

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 364 of 9,962

Love Susan Branch's books. Just read "Isle of Dreams". She writes her books in her own handwriting with photos and quotes. Very witty, inspiring and fun.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 365 of 9,962

Just read Wilde Lake by Laura Lippman.  Fantastic read!  Currently reading I almost forgot about you by Terry McMillan

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 366 of 9,962

Great to see you again Diane!  Of course I knew you didnt stop reading.   I try hard to not let this thread die, as it really is my favorite.  Sue (Doglover)  is a prodigious reader so she is instrumental in keeping us going.  I will endeavor to keep you and Pam around by hook or crook haha!

A friend gave me Love is Eternal by Irving Stone,  about Mary Todd Lincoln.  It appears Stone is out of fashion right now but his historical novels are a joy to read in my opinion.  I have ordered several books from the library and will report when I get them.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 367 of 9,962

@nyadrn   I just did a little internet search to learn more about books by authors Karen Harper & Jenny Milchman.  I will be looking for some of their books at library - thanks for mentioning them.  At the moment, Jenny Milchman's "Cover of Snow" particularly appeals, as a possible good read.

Karen Harper does historical novels, which generally appeal to me, especially if written by a female author. I don't like that I favor female authors when reading fiction, & I do try fiction by male authors.  But I end up reading fiction almost exclusively by females.  (Think I've previously mentioned one male author that I do read, Bill Pronzini, who writes the "Nameless Detective" mystery series.)  

I may pursue "Justice For Bonnie".  Can only take so much of that type topic/tragedy.  I read & then step away - the actual family & friends of such victims don't have that luxury, of course.

Thank you for the kind remark about the summaries I do - took me by surprise!    Pam

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 368 of 9,962

@gatorgorilla wrote:

I recently read "Alligator Candy:  A Memoir", by David Kushner.  In fact, I read it through several times, as it took place in the area of Tampa where I live.

"Alligator Candy:  A Memoir",  is the non-fiction account of how the author & his family dealt with the senseless, brutal murder of his older brother in the fall of 1973, by a pair of psychopaths.  One afternoon the older brother rode off to the nearby 7-Eleven, taking an often-used path through the woods, to get to the store.  He never returned home.  His abandoned bike was found within 24 hours.  His brutalized body was found a week later.>>

Though my situation was "at a distance" since it was not with a family member, but with a former student,  reading Kushner's book was helpful & enlightening to me, and I am surely glad he chose to write the book.  I am also glad I chose to read his book.   Pam

It is really scary how many books there are about this type of tradgedy.  You never realize how much really goes on and how many families are affected.

You always do a great summary!

I just read "Justice for Bonnie" which I actually purchased while on vacation.  It is also a true story of a mother's search for justice in the murder of her daughter.  It was in a local bookstore that we stopped in.    Written by Karen Foster and I.J. Schecter

Also recent reads:

"Down to the Bone" Karen Harper

"Cover of Snow"  Jenny Milchman

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 369 of 9,962

@LaDolceVita wrote:

Hi Gator,

I would like to read  these,  the Rougue series that is, which one do you recommend starting with?  BTW it is good to see you posting here.  I must ask Diane to visit once in a while, I love her book selections.

Hi and thanks : )

I havn't been here in awhile.. not sure why but you know I havn't stopped reading.  It keeps me company everyday on my commute to and from work on public transit as well as lots of other times !

Nice to see that this is another of the groups that are still active!   and I am always looking for good book ideas!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 370 of 9,962

I finished the Anne Tyler book" A Spool of Blue Thread" really enjoyed it.

The book I've just started is by another author I've never read,Annie Dillard. The book  contains 3 of her books in 1 volume "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek,An American Childhood,The Writing Life". Our minister at church has mentioned Dillard a couple times in his sermons,he likes her writing. He got me hooked on 2 other authors,Anne LaMott and Fred Beuchner Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Learn how to improve your problem-solving skills and enter the Love Your Brain sweepstakes from AARP Staying Sharp!