Super Contributor

What's everyone reading?

Hi everyone,

Thought
I'd get my thread started here on what's everyone readingI'm currently
reading John Grisham's "The Summons".  It's very interesting and I hope to finish it
sometime todayWhat's on your coffee table, nightstand or end table?

Janese

Kudos
Views
Replies
Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita   Earlier this year, over at TV Talk forum, I picked up on a novel that Diane had apparently mentioned to another poster, "While We Were Watching Downton Abbey", by Wendy Wax.  This book portrays three women who live in same building, in modern day Atlanta.  What I really love is that they are obviously Southern-bred women, but not in that over-the-top, stylized fashion you get in way too many novels.  I just dove right into these women's lives and lost myself for awhile.  It was great!

So, yes, I'd have to agree with you - Diane has some good suggestions, bookwise.  Smiley Happy

Honored Social Butterfly

I recently read "Alligator Candy:  A Memoir", by David Kushner.  In fact, I read it through several times, as it took place in the area of Tampa where I live.

"Alligator Candy:  A Memoir",  is the non-fiction account of how the author & his family dealt with the senseless, brutal murder of his older brother in the fall of 1973, by a pair of psychopaths.  One afternoon the older brother rode off to the nearby 7-Eleven, taking an often-used path through the woods, to get to the store.  He never returned home.  His abandoned bike was found within 24 hours.  His brutalized body was found a week later.

The book is a "probing, poignant memoir about tragedy, grief, and trying to cope".  It is dark reading, of course, but a strong memorial to Kushner's lost brother.  The book also serves as a fine tribute to Kushner's parents & their handling of the tragedy.  It helped me to read how this family coped, over the years, and got on with their lives.  I learned how detailed aspects of the tragedy only gradually became known to the author, who was four years old when he lost his brother.

I wanted to read how such a tragedy was dealt with, and the author does an excellent job of describing the years following the tragedy.  My particular point of reference involved a former student of mine, who was brutally murdered by a psychopath (a tragedy which received national news coverage some years ago).  That type tragedy is not something you readily discuss with others, a fact/reality the author makes abundantly clear, and which was what I experienced.     

Though my situation was "at a distance" since it was not with a family member, but with a former student,  reading Kushner's book was helpful & enlightening to me, and I am surely glad he chose to write the book.  I am also glad I chose to read his book.   Pam

Honored Social Butterfly

@gatorgorilla wrote:

I recently read "Alligator Candy:  A Memoir", by David Kushner.  In fact, I read it through several times, as it took place in the area of Tampa where I live.

"Alligator Candy:  A Memoir",  is the non-fiction account of how the author & his family dealt with the senseless, brutal murder of his older brother in the fall of 1973, by a pair of psychopaths.  One afternoon the older brother rode off to the nearby 7-Eleven, taking an often-used path through the woods, to get to the store.  He never returned home.  His abandoned bike was found within 24 hours.  His brutalized body was found a week later.>>

Though my situation was "at a distance" since it was not with a family member, but with a former student,  reading Kushner's book was helpful & enlightening to me, and I am surely glad he chose to write the book.  I am also glad I chose to read his book.   Pam

It is really scary how many books there are about this type of tradgedy.  You never realize how much really goes on and how many families are affected.

You always do a great summary!

I just read "Justice for Bonnie" which I actually purchased while on vacation.  It is also a true story of a mother's search for justice in the murder of her daughter.  It was in a local bookstore that we stopped in.    Written by Karen Foster and I.J. Schecter

Also recent reads:

"Down to the Bone" Karen Harper

"Cover of Snow"  Jenny Milchman

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn   I just did a little internet search to learn more about books by authors Karen Harper & Jenny Milchman.  I will be looking for some of their books at library - thanks for mentioning them.  At the moment, Jenny Milchman's "Cover of Snow" particularly appeals, as a possible good read.

Karen Harper does historical novels, which generally appeal to me, especially if written by a female author. I don't like that I favor female authors when reading fiction, & I do try fiction by male authors.  But I end up reading fiction almost exclusively by females.  (Think I've previously mentioned one male author that I do read, Bill Pronzini, who writes the "Nameless Detective" mystery series.)  

I may pursue "Justice For Bonnie".  Can only take so much of that type topic/tragedy.  I read & then step away - the actual family & friends of such victims don't have that luxury, of course.

Thank you for the kind remark about the summaries I do - took me by surprise!    Pam

Recognized Social Butterfly

Pam thanks for all the great recommendations & information.  I need some light reading. 

Regarding the story of your student who was mudered, actually that sounds uncomfortably close, especially as details must have been given in the media.

Another hectic day awaits.  I have had no time for reading the last few days.  It seems that by the time the chickens turn in it is almost time for me to turn in.  Then I spot something on TV that interests me and I do not read.  I have been trying to watch Mary Beard's Ultimate Rome series and cannot get one  uninterrupted hour to do do.  Its good to be busy I suppose  Woman Happy.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita    Yes, it is good to be busy, but not so busy that you don't find time to enjoy a bit of reading!  The days can really get away from us - always seems to be something needing attention/doing.  My reading gets put aside more often than I would prefer.  Hope we both find some time to read in the days ahead.  Smiley Happy     Pam

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita   The books in this series can be read out of order and still be entertaining, I believe.  But I suggest you begin with "An Arranged Marriage", which is the first book in the Rogue series, and introduces you to the leader of the Rogues, Nicholas Delaney, & The Company of Rogues in general.

This is a Regency romance series, so be prepared for very light, unchallenging reading.  I think you have to love the particular romance that is brewing - that is what always draws me to some romances more than others.  I read/skimmed this first book in the series several times, before I felt I truly understood and accepted the romance between Nicholas & Eleanor.  

Each of the members of The Company of Rogues eventually gets his own book/story, along with some books feauturing a few individuals in the "supporting cast" of characters who people this series.

If you like "An Arranged Marriage", I would suggest reading the series in order, if possible.

The second book in the series is "An Unwilling Bride".  Both the first and second books are favorites of mine.  My other two particular favorites in the series are "The Devil's Heiress" and "To Rescue A Rogue".  Everyone has their own special favorites, of course.  If you give this series a try, I hope it will provide you with some entertaining escapism, LaDolceVita.  I freely admit that's what it does for me!   Pam

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

The book I'm reading now is "The Favored Child" by Phillpa Gregory. The story is set in the 18th century in England,2 young children,cousins Julie and Richard are growing up together in the Wildacre Estate but only one is the true heir to the Lacey.

I like historical  novels and so far this book is good. I've read a couple other books by the author,like the way she writes. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Regular Contributor

I am re-reading all of my David Eddings books - they are fantastic fantasy books with the usual theme of good trying to over come evil.  Once I re-read these books I will get back to reading all the ebooks that I haven't read.

Lindy Witz
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

It's been a long time since I posted here.  I started this group and would love to get it going again.  Not quite sure how it works now.  I left because I didn't care for the changes but miss everyone so hopefully I will figure it out.

Currently reading Murder at the Opera by Margaret Truman.  It is in large print making it a very easy read.  I've read a few others by her and have always enjoyed them.  Love reading about the Washington D.C. area since I have been there several times and know exactly where she is referring.

Janese, it is so good to see you.  I am still posting here but have been too busy to breathe for the last 2 months or so.  Please do visit often!!

We all miss Edie and wonder how she is doing.  So many friends and great readers have stopped posting.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Great hearing from you too.  Sent you a Christmas card but it came back.  Guess you moved.  Message me your new address.

0 Kudos

I am currently reading Doc by Mary Doria Russell.  Very enjoyable, I like her writing and have ordered another one of her books from the library.

Janese, I have not moved!!  Phone & address still the same.  But I would like to move, and I have the town picked out.  Cant do it for a while though. 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Glad to hear you are still keeping up on your reading.  What is Doc about?  I'm currently reading Absolute Power by David Baldacci.  I love everything he has written.  Just finished Murder at the Ooera by Margaret Truman.  Her books all take place in DC and they always remind me of my visits there.  I have been very busy. Lately but will answer your private message soon.

Hi Janese,

Doc is about Doc Holliday, his girlfriend & the Earp brothers.  I just ordered several more books from the library by Mary Doria Russell, I enjoyed her writing, it was easy and relaxing reading to end stressful days!!

Silver Conversationalist

Just finished "ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE" by Anthony Doerr.

It is a winner of the Pulitzer Prize.

A really excellent story,  extremely well written.  I loved it!

Highly recommend to everyone!

Super Contributor

Thank you for the great recommendation. It is on my future reading list.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi bonjovi,
I am currently reading Dragons Lost by Daniel Arenson (it's fantasy). He writes some fantastic trilogies about the dragons of Requiem which are about the trials and tribulations of the humans that can turn into dragons (Vir Requis). As a history major and world events watcher, his stories reflect on the nature of humans not willing to accept any one different from them (the Vir Requis).
Lindy Witz
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hi Lindy Witz,
Sounds like an interesting read. I have not read much in the way of fantasy. I like mysteries, true and fictional histories and an occasional biography.
Janese
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Since you like mysteries you may want to check out the "Captain Lacey" mysteries by Ashley Gardner. There are 12 books so far and I know another one is in the works. I have started to post reviews of the books I read.
Lindy Witz
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Hi IS9270 - I'll put Ashley Gardner on my list of authors to look into.  I do like mysteries a lot.  Have read most of the books by Baldacci, C.J. Box, Clancy, Connelly, Cornwell,Crichton, Demille, Grisham, Kellerman, Lescroat, Patterson and S. King - as well as many lesser known writers.

My favorite mystery writer is Stephen White.  He is a clinical psychologist/author living in Colorado.  His main character in most of his books is a clinical psychologist living in Colorado.  He really knows whereof he writes. Smiley Happy

Happy Reading

Regular Contributor

Hi willful,
I discovered Ashley Gardner when I discovered I could get free ebooks from B&N for my Nook. I cannot remember how many I go free(or really cheap) and got hooked on them (I really am more of a Sci/Fi - Fantasy reader - my escape from real life). My income is fixed so I have to be real careful about how much money I spend. I get a lot of free books or ones that just cost $.99 or no more than $4 or $5. In a bit I will be posting a link to a website where you can get books for free.
Lindy Witz
Periodic Contributor

Samaritan by Richard Price.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Targon Tales - Sky Hunter by Chris Reher.   For those of you who enjoy SciFi you need to check out this author.

Lindy Witz
0 Kudos
Contributor

The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks

0 Kudos

@VaBluebird51 wrote:

The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks

I love Geraldine Brooks & this is a must read for me.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

The book I'm about to start is "The Nine: Inside the Secret World of The Supreme Court" by Jeffrey Toobin. He is senior legal analyst at CNN. I've always been interested in this topic,book was written 8 yrs ago. I have some knowledge about the legal system. My dad was a lawyer,my 1st job was working at a local law firm as a 'gofer'. The pay was lousy but I learned how a law firm operates. Sue

Regular Contributor

I am currently read "The Book of Deacon Anthology" by Joseph Lallo. It is a fantasy. It is a fantastic read and even though it is over 1700 pages, I will probably finish it this weekend. For those interested in SciFi/Fantasy this is a book you will want to get. I will not give any part of the book away.
Lindy Witz
Trusted Social Butterfly

The book I'm reading now is "The Star Wars Trilogy" by George Lucas,Donald F.Glut,James Khan.

When the original 3 movies came out"Star Wars' in '77,"The Empire Strikes Back" in '79,"The Return of The Jedi" '83,saw 3 or 4 times loved them all.

The main reason I'm reading this book,it helps me to remember how it all started with these beloved characters so many fans around the world couldn't get enough of. Last Dec,I saw the latest installment"Star Wars:Force Awakening" twice,loved it perfect sequel to "Return of The Jedi". I never liked the other movies that were made in between this one Sue

Trusted Social Butterfly

I finished "The Love Song of Queenie Henessey" by Rachel Joyce. It was a little longer than her previous book "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry",but I enjoyed it. I recommend both books Sue

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png