Super Contributor

What's everyone reading?

Hi everyone,

Thought
I'd get my thread started here on what's everyone readingI'm currently
reading John Grisham's "The Summons".  It's very interesting and I hope to finish it
sometime todayWhat's on your coffee table, nightstand or end table?

Janese

Kudos
Views
Replies
Recognized Social Butterfly

I am currently reading Doc by Mary Doria Russell.  Very enjoyable, I like her writing and have ordered another one of her books from the library.

Janese, I have not moved!!  Phone & address still the same.  But I would like to move, and I have the town picked out.  Cant do it for a while though. 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Glad to hear you are still keeping up on your reading.  What is Doc about?  I'm currently reading Absolute Power by David Baldacci.  I love everything he has written.  Just finished Murder at the Ooera by Margaret Truman.  Her books all take place in DC and they always remind me of my visits there.  I have been very busy. Lately but will answer your private message soon.

Hi Janese,

Doc is about Doc Holliday, his girlfriend & the Earp brothers.  I just ordered several more books from the library by Mary Doria Russell, I enjoyed her writing, it was easy and relaxing reading to end stressful days!!

Silver Conversationalist

Just finished "ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE" by Anthony Doerr.

It is a winner of the Pulitzer Prize.

A really excellent story,  extremely well written.  I loved it!

Highly recommend to everyone!

Super Contributor

Thank you for the great recommendation. It is on my future reading list.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi bonjovi,
I am currently reading Dragons Lost by Daniel Arenson (it's fantasy). He writes some fantastic trilogies about the dragons of Requiem which are about the trials and tribulations of the humans that can turn into dragons (Vir Requis). As a history major and world events watcher, his stories reflect on the nature of humans not willing to accept any one different from them (the Vir Requis).
Lindy Witz
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hi Lindy Witz,
Sounds like an interesting read. I have not read much in the way of fantasy. I like mysteries, true and fictional histories and an occasional biography.
Janese
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Since you like mysteries you may want to check out the "Captain Lacey" mysteries by Ashley Gardner. There are 12 books so far and I know another one is in the works. I have started to post reviews of the books I read.
Lindy Witz
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Hi IS9270 - I'll put Ashley Gardner on my list of authors to look into.  I do like mysteries a lot.  Have read most of the books by Baldacci, C.J. Box, Clancy, Connelly, Cornwell,Crichton, Demille, Grisham, Kellerman, Lescroat, Patterson and S. King - as well as many lesser known writers.

My favorite mystery writer is Stephen White.  He is a clinical psychologist/author living in Colorado.  His main character in most of his books is a clinical psychologist living in Colorado.  He really knows whereof he writes. Smiley Happy

Happy Reading

Regular Contributor

Hi willful,
I discovered Ashley Gardner when I discovered I could get free ebooks from B&N for my Nook. I cannot remember how many I go free(or really cheap) and got hooked on them (I really am more of a Sci/Fi - Fantasy reader - my escape from real life). My income is fixed so I have to be real careful about how much money I spend. I get a lot of free books or ones that just cost $.99 or no more than $4 or $5. In a bit I will be posting a link to a website where you can get books for free.
Lindy Witz
Periodic Contributor

Samaritan by Richard Price.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Targon Tales - Sky Hunter by Chris Reher.   For those of you who enjoy SciFi you need to check out this author.

Lindy Witz
0 Kudos
Contributor

The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks

0 Kudos

@VaBluebird51 wrote:

The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks

I love Geraldine Brooks & this is a must read for me.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

The book I'm about to start is "The Nine: Inside the Secret World of The Supreme Court" by Jeffrey Toobin. He is senior legal analyst at CNN. I've always been interested in this topic,book was written 8 yrs ago. I have some knowledge about the legal system. My dad was a lawyer,my 1st job was working at a local law firm as a 'gofer'. The pay was lousy but I learned how a law firm operates. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Regular Contributor

I am currently read "The Book of Deacon Anthology" by Joseph Lallo. It is a fantasy. It is a fantastic read and even though it is over 1700 pages, I will probably finish it this weekend. For those interested in SciFi/Fantasy this is a book you will want to get. I will not give any part of the book away.
Lindy Witz
Trusted Social Butterfly

The book I'm reading now is "The Star Wars Trilogy" by George Lucas,Donald F.Glut,James Khan.

When the original 3 movies came out"Star Wars' in '77,"The Empire Strikes Back" in '79,"The Return of The Jedi" '83,saw 3 or 4 times loved them all.

The main reason I'm reading this book,it helps me to remember how it all started with these beloved characters so many fans around the world couldn't get enough of. Last Dec,I saw the latest installment"Star Wars:Force Awakening" twice,loved it perfect sequel to "Return of The Jedi". I never liked the other movies that were made in between this one Sue

Trusted Social Butterfly

I finished "The Love Song of Queenie Henessey" by Rachel Joyce. It was a little longer than her previous book "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry",but I enjoyed it. I recommend both books Sue

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I finished reading the book "The Monopolists:Scandal Behind the World's Favorite Boardgame" by Mary Pilon. It was interesting for awhile,towards the end I skimmed thru pages.

The book I'm reading now is "The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy" by Rachel Joyce which is a sequel of sorts.In her previous book"The Unlikely Prilgrimage of Harold Frye",Queenie writes a farewell note to her friend from a hospice.When Harold gets the note,he decides to walk from his house to where she is to say goodbye..He sends her postcards asking her to 'hold on' until he gets there.

In this book,we learn about Queenie's childhood,where&when she&Harold became friends,what secret she never told him.I loved the previous book,took me 2 days to finish.This one is longer,just as good. Sue

Trusted Social Butterfly

I just finished reading "Endurance" by Alfred Lansing,true story of British explorer,Ernest Shackleton's trip to Antarctica, was interesting reading what Shackleton&his men had to deal with.

Next up is"The Monopolists: Obession,Fury,and The Scandal behind the World's Favorite Board Game" by Molly Pilon. I'm always interested in reading these type of books whenever there is a scandal involved. Sue

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

Raymond Chandler's Farewell, My Lovely. Convoluted plot, beautiful sentences.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png