You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 351 of 9,903

@pb40374959 wrote:

Just finishing Victoria Thompson's Murder in Murry Hill. Last week read Loving, Frank, about Frank Lloyd Wright, very interesting. Need to read the classic A Tree Grows In Brooklyn for our book club in 3 weeks.

@pb40374959  -  I love the Victoria Thompson "Gaslight Mysteries" series featuring midwife Sarah Brandt and Police Detective Sergeant Frank Malloy.

I've read "Murder In Murray Hill", all the previous books in the series, and the two books which follow "Murray Hill":  "Murder on Amsterdam Avenue" and "Murder on St. Nicholas Avenue".  Am looking forward to the next installment, "Murder in Morningside Heights", with publication date of 5/3/2016.

In "Murder on St. Nicholas Avenue" Sarah's parents & two other recurring characters solve the featured mystery & then resolve to form a detective agency.  The book ends on a comical note, as Sarah's father invites Frank to join their new agency. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 352 of 9,903

Raymond Chandler's Farewell, My Lovely. Convoluted plot, beautiful sentences.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 353 of 9,903

A couple days ago finished reading "Five Days at memorial: Life&Death at a Storm Ravaged Hosptial" by Dr Sheri Fink. This is a true story of what happened at a hosptial in new Orleans when hurricane Katrina&Rita swept thru the city. The author who is a correspondent for the NYTimes,spent 6 yrs investigating&interviewing hosptial personel who were there. Some patients lived others died. A couple months later a doctor and 2 nurses were criminally charged with injecting life threatening drugs to the patients that died. I use to work in a haosptial so I can imagine how frustrating&confusing it must of been for everybody during this time. i couldn't put the book down.

The book I'm reading now is "Endurance" by Alfred Lansing. The story is about British explorer,Ernest Shackelton who set sails for the Antarctia in 1914. I had heard the name Shackleton,always interested in reading about what really happened on the trip. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 354 of 9,903

To Linda re: All the Light we can not see.  I recently tired to "listen" to this book on Audible but could not get into it.  I have heard it is a great book.  You indicate that you usually don't read this type of book.  What type of book is it?  How would you classify it.  What was the best thing about completing it.  Thanks.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 355 of 9,903
Coconut Cowboy by Tim Dorsewy
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 356 of 9,903

My latest read is the Yellow Pages and it's fascinating!

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 357 of 9,903

I recently finished reading Still Alice by Lisa Genova, and my book club will be discussing it at our next meeting.  I feel the author did a great job of getting inside the mind of a woman with Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease.

Now I am reading As the World Watched by Carolyn Maull.  This book is about the bombing of a church in Birmingham, Alabama in 1963 and is written by a woman who lost her best friends in that bombing.  The author helps the reader to understand what it was like for those who lived through this time of such turmoil.  Reading the book is very enlightening; the author's account of her experience is so different from that of a news report since she describes her feelings and how she and other people reacted.

Both of these books tell how others have reacted to and coped with experiences they couldn't control.  They help me to appreciate the life I have and to have more compassion for those who are suffering.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 358 of 9,903

For me, I am re-reading the Dragonlance Chronicles (Annotated) by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.  I first picked it up and followed the series over 30 years ago, book by book, in a seemingly endless wait-state for each volume to be released and land on the bookseller's shelves.

Aside from the fun in the anticipation for each release, and thus the ability to dive in once again into the wonderful and fantastic adventure, the real joy WAS the adventure.

Written in a style that I found to be very Tolkein-esque, this storyline is littered with fantastic plots, subplots, poetry and prose, in a light, though sometimes serious, adventure of happenstance friends under dark clouds of war and oppression.

To pick it up again, after so many years, is akin to returning once again to that familiar place -- be it an old recliner, rocking chair, or perhaps that tree along the lake where years of fishing and nature agreed to grant you that lease to call YOUR fishing spot.  It is like wearing that old sweater, those worn out shoes, or even snuggling under grandma's quilt before the fireplace.

The Dragonlance series is a long story of many stories about friendship, time, danger, celebration, and heroes.  It has history, comedy, tragedy, love, romance, and even mourning.

In my opinion, as readers sometimes cherish and promote Tolkein's Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit as masterpieces, classics in the more modern fictionary realm of fantasy and adventure, so too should the Dragonlance saga be held in such esteem.

Weis, Margaret and Tracy Hickman. The Annotated Chronicles 2002 Wizards of the Coast, Wenton:WA. pp.1312  ISBN: 0-7869-1870-5

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 359 of 9,903

I am reading the latest book by Lisa Shearin called Wedding Bells, Magic Spells.  I am a long time fan of this bright and witty author of Fantasy novels.  Her books are action packed and filled with interesting characters and witty dialogue.  I highly recommend her work.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 360 of 9,903

Just finishing Victoria Thompson's Murder in Murry Hill. Last week read Loving, Frank, about Frank Lloyd Wright, very interesting. Need to read the classic A Tree Grows In Brooklyn for our book club in 3 weeks.

Kudos
Views