Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 541 of 9,993

I finished Clive Davis autobiography"The Soundtrack of My Life' with Anthony DeCurtis. I really enjoyed it because he explained how he chose songs for the artists that he signed to his record labels,Arista and then J Records,many became hit records for the singers. There was 1 singer in the beginning of his career at Arista didn't want to sing other songwriters songs. These 2 songs were monster hits for him,Barry Manilow.

"I Write the Songs" written by "Beach Boy',Bruce Johnston

"Weekend in New England' Randy Edeleman

The first act he signed when he was at Columbia Records was "Big Brother&Holding Company' with lead singer,Janis Joplin in 1966. Its amazing to read the 'who's who' of singers/rock bands he signed to the various record companies he worked at from early 60's up til today.

I never knew he went to Harvard Law School,started out as chief counsel at Columbia records.

The chapter on Whitney Houston was tough for him to write. He met her when she was 19,was there for her thru out her career&persoanl life. He gave the eulogy at her funeral.

My only complaint,book was too long at 550pgs. Its a wonderful book,recommend it to anybody who wants to learn about the music business Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 542 of 9,993

I just finished reading Jane Smiley's book "Some Luck' which is the 1st book in a trilogy. It was a wonderful book starting in the year 1920-1953. What I like about it each chapter,she describes what happens to the Langdon family,mother Roseanna&husband,Walter,their 5 kids. This book ends in 1953. I hope to read next 2 books when they come out in paperback.

Next book is "The Soundtrack of My Life' written by music legend,Clive Davis and Anthony De Curtis a contributor to Rolling Stone magazine. I know who Davis is,he founded the record label,Arista ,was an early mentor to the late,Whitney Houston among others.  Sue

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Cider qwith Rosie by Laurie Lee

Message 543 of 9,993

I'm 25 pages in and so far so good.  This is a memoir of the author born in 1914 in Slad, Gloucestershire in what was then a remote corner of the Cotswold Valley. 
The large family was miraculously brought up by a single mother, and as the second youngest brother surrounded by doting sisters, Lee experienced life with a raw intensity and innocence that is magically conveyed in a lush, expressive prose that provides the child's side of the journey into adulthood.

It starts with Lee as a baby, and it closes with him experiencing his first kiss.  In the interim, he takes in the cadence of village and family life while suffering all the agonies and awkwardness of adolescence.  This beautiful memoir narrates this sense of both his lost youth, and the passage from innocence to experience with a llyricism that is poignant and powerful.  Dazzling verbal imagery.

The first page hooked me in.  I saw this book advertised in Bas Bleu - a catalog of books and gifts.  Check it out on-line and order the catalog if you see anything interesting.  That's what I did.  I've picked some very good reading from that catalog.

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 544 of 9,993

@aberlaine wrote:

I just finished reading The Invention of Wings which has been a best seller for a few years.  It was okay but not one of my favorites.  Sue Monk Kidd was the author and I liked her book The Secret Life of Bees much better.  My book group has selected The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce but it's too early for me to start it yet.  I'll forget the whole thing by August 15th when we're meeting next.

After reading about the Ladies' Detective series, I remembered I bought two of the books in that series.  I think I'll read them first.  They are very easy to read.

Nancy

Hi Nancy,last summer I read "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye",loved it. It took me 2 days to finish reading it. I'll be curious to hear what your book group thought of it. Sue

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 545 of 9,993

I just finished reading The Invention of Wings which has been a best seller for a few years.  It was okay but not one of my favorites.  Sue Monk Kidd was the author and I liked her book The Secret Life of Bees much better.  My book group has selected The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce but it's too early for me to start it yet.  I'll forget the whole thing by August 15th when we're meeting next.

After reading about the Ladies' Detective series, I remembered I bought two of the books in that series.  I think I'll read them first.  They are very easy to read.

Nancy

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Message 546 of 9,993

I just finished this book.  I would consider it an allegory.  This is not something I usually read but the review sounded good so I got it from the library.  All in all it was interesting and I read it until the end.  From the inside flap: 

"Enchanting novel that has inspired a devoted following around the world.  This story, dazzling in its powerful simplicity and inspiring wisdom, is aout an Andalusin shepherd boy named Santiago who travels from his homeland in Spain to the Egyptian desert in search of a treasure buried in the Pyramids.  Along the way he meets a Gypsy woman, a man who calls himself king, and an alchemist, all of whom point Santiago in the direction of his quest.  No one knows what the treasure is, or if Santigo will be able to surmount the obstacles along the way. But what starts out as a journey to find worldly goods turns into a discovery of the treasure found within.  Lush, evocative, and deeply humane, the story of Santiago is an eternal testament to the transforming power of our dreams and the importance of listening to our hearts.

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 547 of 9,993

I finished Malcolm Gladwell's book'David&Golaith',it was good,he just goes on a bit too long.

The book I'm about to read is "Some Luck' by Jane Smiley which is the first book of a trilogy. The story is set in Iowa,in 1928 involving the Langdon family and their 5 kids.

I read a couple of her books yrs ago,"Moo,A Thousand Acres{Pulitizer Prize winner} enjoyed them,like the way she writes. Sue

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 548 of 9,993

Last night,I finished "The Miniaturist" by Jessie Burton. It was different,an ok book.

The next up is "David and Goliath" by Malcolm Gladwell,I've read another one of his books"The Tipping Point",enjoy his writings. Sue

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 549 of 9,993

@cathi56 wrote:

try reading ..Louise Penny ...Gamache series...the town of 3 pines ...I am hooked

Welcome to our group.  We have lost many of our members and it is good to get new ones.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

The Miniaturist - What's everyone reading?

Message 550 of 9,993

Sue, I read The Miniturist and enjoyed it.  It was different...

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Pen Pal Safety

Take pen pal safety precautions.
Learn more.

Top Authors