Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 481 of 9,930

@aberlaine wrote:

I just finished reading The Invention of Wings which has been a best seller for a few years.  It was okay but not one of my favorites.  Sue Monk Kidd was the author and I liked her book The Secret Life of Bees much better.  My book group has selected The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce but it's too early for me to start it yet.  I'll forget the whole thing by August 15th when we're meeting next.

After reading about the Ladies' Detective series, I remembered I bought two of the books in that series.  I think I'll read them first.  They are very easy to read.

Nancy

Hi Nancy,last summer I read "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye",loved it. It took me 2 days to finish reading it. I'll be curious to hear what your book group thought of it. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 482 of 9,930

I just finished reading The Invention of Wings which has been a best seller for a few years.  It was okay but not one of my favorites.  Sue Monk Kidd was the author and I liked her book The Secret Life of Bees much better.  My book group has selected The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce but it's too early for me to start it yet.  I'll forget the whole thing by August 15th when we're meeting next.

After reading about the Ladies' Detective series, I remembered I bought two of the books in that series.  I think I'll read them first.  They are very easy to read.

Nancy

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Message 483 of 9,930

I just finished this book.  I would consider it an allegory.  This is not something I usually read but the review sounded good so I got it from the library.  All in all it was interesting and I read it until the end.  From the inside flap: 

"Enchanting novel that has inspired a devoted following around the world.  This story, dazzling in its powerful simplicity and inspiring wisdom, is aout an Andalusin shepherd boy named Santiago who travels from his homeland in Spain to the Egyptian desert in search of a treasure buried in the Pyramids.  Along the way he meets a Gypsy woman, a man who calls himself king, and an alchemist, all of whom point Santiago in the direction of his quest.  No one knows what the treasure is, or if Santigo will be able to surmount the obstacles along the way. But what starts out as a journey to find worldly goods turns into a discovery of the treasure found within.  Lush, evocative, and deeply humane, the story of Santiago is an eternal testament to the transforming power of our dreams and the importance of listening to our hearts.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 484 of 9,930

I finished Malcolm Gladwell's book'David&Golaith',it was good,he just goes on a bit too long.

The book I'm about to read is "Some Luck' by Jane Smiley which is the first book of a trilogy. The story is set in Iowa,in 1928 involving the Langdon family and their 5 kids.

I read a couple of her books yrs ago,"Moo,A Thousand Acres{Pulitizer Prize winner} enjoyed them,like the way she writes. Sue

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 485 of 9,930

Last night,I finished "The Miniaturist" by Jessie Burton. It was different,an ok book.

The next up is "David and Goliath" by Malcolm Gladwell,I've read another one of his books"The Tipping Point",enjoy his writings. Sue

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 486 of 9,930

@cathi56 wrote:

try reading ..Louise Penny ...Gamache series...the town of 3 pines ...I am hooked

Welcome to our group.  We have lost many of our members and it is good to get new ones.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

The Miniaturist - What's everyone reading?

Message 487 of 9,930

Sue, I read The Miniturist and enjoyed it.  It was different...

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 488 of 9,930

I finished "The Handsome Man's Delux Cafe' this afternoon,took 3 days,its just as good as the other books in this series.

The book I'm reading next is "The Miniaturist" by Jessie Burton,her debut novel. The story is set in 17th century Amsterdam. Nellie Oortman,18 yrs old marries a merchant trader,Johannes Brandt. His unique wedding gift  to her is a cabinet sized replica of their home. Nellie wants to furnish it,she hires a miniatruist who creates tiny replicas of their furniture in surprising ways. This sounds interesting. Sue

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

What's everyone reading?

Message 489 of 9,930

Gee, thanks, Sue.  I think I've read a couple of them but I've listed them all and I will double check.  I'm still reading The Underground Girls of Kabul.  I'm reading it slowly - not because it is not interesting, but because I seem to have been keeping busy and falling asleep at night during my usual reading time.  Oh well.  I'll be finished with it in the next couple of days.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 490 of 9,930

@Angel-Sally wrote:

I really enjoyed this series.  I have not read this one and I may have missed one or two others.  Thanks for reminding me ... I'll check out what I've missed.  These are quick reads and you've got to love these down to earth people...with a bit of information about how these people live.  Another series I enjoyed very much was The Mitford series by Jan Karon.  I believe the first in the series is At Home in Mitford.  Through the series you get to know the people in this town...a heart warming series.

Hi Angel-Sally,here are the titles of last 4 books in this series:

#10-Tea Time for The Traditionally Built

#11-The Double Comfort Safari Club

#12-The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party

#13-The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection

#14-The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon

I've also read most of "The Mitford" series,loved them,well written,interesting characters in the small fictious town Sue

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs