Introducing the Problem-Solving Strategy Challenge, the latest interactive brain exercise from Staying Sharp! Get started now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 511 of 9,930

In my previous post mentioned I was reading book about German shepard dog"Rin Tin Tin' by Susan Orlean,how this dog became famous. It was interesting but towards the end,felt the author rambled on too long,book is 320 pgs.

Next up "The Keillor Reader" by Garrision Keillor,40 yrs of stories where they all came from.I've always enjoyed reading his books,love his sense of humor,try to listen to "Prairie Home Companion'" every week on  the radio Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 512 of 9,930

Nancy, glad you are back!  I usually reading the books you report on.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 513 of 9,930

The Theory of Everything was the movie they were showing for our Senior Lunch and Movie yesterday but while we went for lunch, my husband didn't want to stay for the movie.  However,  had this on order from the library and low and behold it came into the library this week and I hope to watch it this evening (if there isn't a basketball game going on).  My sister went and she enjoyed it.

Don't think I'll read the book.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 514 of 9,930

@aberlaine wrote:

I saw the movie "The Theory of Everything" with my daughter around Christmas.  I thought it was great.  I don't think I'll read the book.

My book group has just finished reading two great books: The Boys in the Boat by Danial James Brown and Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.  I won't forget either one very soon.

For our next meeting, we're reading Elizabeth and Hazel: Two Women of Little Rock by David Margolick.  This is the story of a black girl trying to enter, and desegregate, Little Rock Central High School, while an angry white girl stood behind her shouting epithets.  Their picture is one of the most harrowing and instantly recognizable photographs of the civil rights era.

Nancy

Hi Nancy also read "Boys In The Boat' and "Orphan Train",loved both of them. These were 2 books I didn't want to end Sue

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 515 of 9,930

I saw the movie "The Theory of Everything" with my daughter around Christmas.  I thought it was great.  I don't think I'll read the book.

My book group has just finished reading two great books: The Boys in the Boat by Danial James Brown and Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.  I won't forget either one very soon.

For our next meeting, we're reading Elizabeth and Hazel: Two Women of Little Rock by David Margolick.  This is the story of a black girl trying to enter, and desegregate, Little Rock Central High School, while an angry white girl stood behind her shouting epithets.  Their picture is one of the most harrowing and instantly recognizable photographs of the civil rights era.

Nancy

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

What's everyone reading?

Message 516 of 9,930

I have not read the book but my husband I will be seeing the movie in the near future.  Just too many books on my list right now and not enough time.  I don't want to see this site fail either and I sure miss all the conversations we had with so many people.  I'm hanging in here for the long run.  Saw this picture and wanted to share - message does not apply to this site but it is a good message.  I just liked this picture - when I was young and on summer vacation, my mother would get upset that I would spend too much time up in my bedroom reading.  I guess she was worried about me getting exercise even back in those days.

Its better to have your nose in a book than in some elses business.jpg

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 517 of 9,930

I finished this afternoon,"Flying Shoes" by Lisa Howorth which I mentioned in my previous post. She is new author,I enjoyed the book. What I didn't realize is,story is a fictious account of the real life abduction and unsolved murder of her 9 yr old brother,Steven. My only complaint is book was too long at 322pgs.

The book I'm about to start is "Rin Tin Tin,Life and Legend" by Susan Orlean. Its the true story how this one particular German Shepard became a movie icon. I'm a life long dog lover,I've read rave reviews for this book which came out in 2011. Sue

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading? Pompeii by Robert Harris

Message 518 of 9,930

I finally finished the above book, nice somewhat light reading.  I love books about ancient civilizations, especially Roman.  I have had very little time to devote to reading, only about 1/2 hour per day.  Should have more leisure time in the summer and I hope to return to regular posting here.  I really do not want this thread to die.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 519 of 9,930

@doglover52 wrote:

I just finished reading Jane Hawking's memoir"Travelling to Infinity,My Life with Stephen". It was a terrific book,what she went thru during their 25yr marriage was incredible She had no inkling of how her&their 3 kids lives would change forever when Stephen's disease would become more complicated. After reading this my opinion of Stephen is an ego maniac who loves being in the 'spotlight and all the publicity that comes with his fame'. His 2nd marriage to his nurse Elaine lasted only 12yrs. Jane remarried in '97,still married to husband,Jonathan. If you haven't seen the movie"The Theory Of Everything" which was excellent,read this book,its the basis of the movie Sue

I finally saw the movie last week.  Quite good.  I did not know it was based on Jane Hawking's book.  I cannot wait to read it, thanks for the extra info.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 520 of 9,930

. I'm always looking for new authors,Tues I was in the independent bookstore which I'm a member of,the book I bought sounded interesting. The name  Is "Flying Shoes' by Lisa Howorth. The story is set in Mississippi,30yrs ago Mary Bryd Thorton's family dealt with heartbreak. She gets a call from police to return to her home state of Virginia because the cold case has been reopened.

What I've read so far is good,the book reminds me of the detailed description of the South in another book'The Help' Sue

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs