Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly

Re: What's everyone reading? Kristin Levansdatter by Sigrid Undset

Message 611 of 10,034

This is is novel translated from Norwegian and published in the 1920s.  A different sort of novel and quite interesting, about a woman's life during medival times in Scandinavia. The author won the Nobel prize for literature partially for this trilogy and for the Master of Hestviken.   Her characters are quite complex & deep and the story could well take place at anytime in history including the present.

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 612 of 10,034

@doglover52 wrote:

I enjoyed the Garrison Keillor book finished it in a couple of days.

The book I've been reading is part history and find fascinating. Its called"Unreal Estate:MOney,Ambition and the Lust for Land In Los Angeles" by Michael Gross. He writes how some of the most expensive&private enclaves pieces of real estate came to be,who lived in these huge mansions over the yearssome of the addresses hve been torn down,celebrities I recognize,some not. The areas Gross writes about are familar names associated with L.A. Beverly Hills,Bel-Air,Holmby Hills,Beverly Park. Sue

The book you are currently reading sounds interesting, Sue.  I may have to give it a look.  Of course, you manage to make most everything you read sound interesting, which is a credit to your way with words, I think.  Smiley Happy

Right now I am re-reading the last 5 books in the Maisie Dobbs series of novels by Jacqueline Winspear.  I have become attached to the characters in this series, the same way many of us became taken with the characters in the TV series, "Downton Abbey."  It is like visiting with old friends, to read through these books again, and right now I am apparently in need of "comfort reading" such as this.  ("Comfort reading" being somewhat akin to "comfort eating", I guess...) 

Happy reading wishes to each of you!    Pam   

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 613 of 10,034

I enjoyed the Garrison Keillor book finished it in a couple of days.

The book I've been reading is part history and find it fascinating. Its called"Unreal Estate:MOney,Ambition and the Lust for Land In Los Angeles" by Michael Gross. He writes how some of the most expensive&private enclaves pieces of real estate came to be,who lived in these huge mansions over the years some of the addresses have been torn down,celebrities I recognize,some not. The areas the author writes about are familar names associated with L.A. Beverly Hills,Bel-Air,Holmby Hills,Beverly Park. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Highlighted

Re: What's everyone reading? The Keillor Reader

Message 614 of 10,034

This sounds good Sue, a change of pace.   I need  humor in my life. Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 615 of 10,034

In my previous post mentioned I was reading book about German shepard dog"Rin Tin Tin' by Susan Orlean,how this dog became famous. It was interesting but towards the end,felt the author rambled on too long,book is 320 pgs.

Next up "The Keillor Reader" by Garrision Keillor,40 yrs of stories where they all came from.I've always enjoyed reading his books,love his sense of humor,try to listen to "Prairie Home Companion'" every week on  the radio Sue

Highlighted

Message 616 of 10,034

Nancy, glad you are back!  I usually reading the books you report on.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 617 of 10,034

The Theory of Everything was the movie they were showing for our Senior Lunch and Movie yesterday but while we went for lunch, my husband didn't want to stay for the movie.  However,  had this on order from the library and low and behold it came into the library this week and I hope to watch it this evening (if there isn't a basketball game going on).  My sister went and she enjoyed it.

Don't think I'll read the book.

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 618 of 10,034

@aberlaine wrote:

I saw the movie "The Theory of Everything" with my daughter around Christmas.  I thought it was great.  I don't think I'll read the book.

My book group has just finished reading two great books: The Boys in the Boat by Danial James Brown and Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.  I won't forget either one very soon.

For our next meeting, we're reading Elizabeth and Hazel: Two Women of Little Rock by David Margolick.  This is the story of a black girl trying to enter, and desegregate, Little Rock Central High School, while an angry white girl stood behind her shouting epithets.  Their picture is one of the most harrowing and instantly recognizable photographs of the civil rights era.

Nancy

Hi Nancy also read "Boys In The Boat' and "Orphan Train",loved both of them. These were 2 books I didn't want to end Sue

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 619 of 10,034

I saw the movie "The Theory of Everything" with my daughter around Christmas.  I thought it was great.  I don't think I'll read the book.

My book group has just finished reading two great books: The Boys in the Boat by Danial James Brown and Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.  I won't forget either one very soon.

For our next meeting, we're reading Elizabeth and Hazel: Two Women of Little Rock by David Margolick.  This is the story of a black girl trying to enter, and desegregate, Little Rock Central High School, while an angry white girl stood behind her shouting epithets.  Their picture is one of the most harrowing and instantly recognizable photographs of the civil rights era.

Nancy

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

What's everyone reading?

Message 620 of 10,034

I have not read the book but my husband I will be seeing the movie in the near future.  Just too many books on my list right now and not enough time.  I don't want to see this site fail either and I sure miss all the conversations we had with so many people.  I'm hanging in here for the long run.  Saw this picture and wanted to share - message does not apply to this site but it is a good message.  I just liked this picture - when I was young and on summer vacation, my mother would get upset that I would spend too much time up in my bedroom reading.  I guess she was worried about me getting exercise even back in those days.

Its better to have your nose in a book than in some elses business.jpg

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards.

Solve your favorite crosswords on AARP Games to earn AARP Rewards points. Try your hand at the Daily Crossword, the Mini Crossword, and Let’s Crossword, the new member game you can play with family and friends. Play Now.