Super Contributor

What's everyone reading?

Hi everyone,

Thought
I'd get my thread started here on what's everyone readingI'm currently
reading John Grisham's "The Summons".  It's very interesting and I hope to finish it
sometime todayWhat's on your coffee table, nightstand or end table?

Janese

Kudos
Views
Replies
Regular Contributor

You've roused my curiosity...I'm try to find and read it.  Sally

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I am in the process of reading three books (just depends where I'm sitting when I pick one up)

1) Judge and Jury - James Patterson ( really like his books)

2) The Cat in the Window  - Callie Smith Grant (series of short true life essays about the furry ones)

3) Jefferson Davis, American - William J. Cooper (a very good biography)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hi Everyone!  I have been browsing thru a book which some of you might find of interest.  The book is My Bookstore:  Writers Celebrate Their Favorite Places to Browse, Read, and Shop, edited by Ronald Rice and Booksellers Across America, and published in 2012.  The book includes write-ups by 84 writers, on their favorite bookstores.  A few of the 84 writers include:  Isabel Allende,  Rick Bragg, Louise Erdrich, Fannie Flagg, John Grisham, Pete Hamill, Nancy Thayer, Abraham Verghese, Brian Selznick, Kate Niles, and Tom Robbins.  It is kind of fun to see what each writer focuses on and how they express themselves about a topic that is so dear to their heart. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I just finished reading "The Girl You Left Behind" by Jojo Moyes,finished it in 3 days.,loved it The story goes from 1916 to present day,its all about a stolen French painting who is the rightful owner. As i was reading,it reminded me of "The MOnuments Men" by Robert Edsel,true story of U.S.&allys finding&retrieving priceless artifiacts the Germans stole during WW2.

The book I'm reading now is"Hothouse" story behind the most celebrated publishing house,Farrar,Straus&Giroux by Boris Kachka Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have been reading City of Thieves by David Benioff.  It is kind of a departure from my normal reading material, but I am finding it interesting.  It is a story of two young men who are sent on an unusual mission during the siege of Leningrad.  I am about half way through it, and I think I would recommend it as worth reading.

Jan

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

@jgaff55 wrote:

I have been reading City of Thieves by David Benioff.  It is kind of a departure from my normal reading material, but I am finding it interesting.  It is a story of two young men who are sent on an unusual mission during the siege of Leningrad.  I am about half way through it, and I think I would recommend it as worth reading.

Jan

Jan, I read the the synopsis on Amazon and it sounds pretty heavy but very interesting.   Adding to my list.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I finished reading "The Boys In The Boat" by Daniel James Brown,true story of Univ of Washington 8 man rowing crew competing in the 1936 Berlin Olympics. It was a wonderful history lesson something I never knew about. I loved the book,highly recommend it. The book I'm reading now is Andy Williams memoir"Moon River &Me",always liked him,he died in 2012. Sue

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

@doglover52 wrote:

I finished reading "The Boys In The Boat" by Daniel James Brown,true story of Univ of Washington 8 man rowing crew competing in the 1936 Berlin Olympics. It was a wonderful history lesson something I never knew about. I loved the book,highly recommend it. The book I'm reading now is Andy Williams memoir"Moon River &Me",always liked him,he died in 2012. Sue

Hi folks,

I posted here a long time ago while AARP was fooling with the site.  I've just rediscovered it and have been reading all your comments since August.  I've requested "The Boys in the Boat" from my local library (Kindle version) and will be discussing it with the book group on SeniorsLearn.  I think I'm also going to choose it for my book group for the month of January.

I've also read "City of Thieves" and thought it was a great read.  The story was shocking but well told.

Since Starz created "Outlander", I've been reading the book, "Outlander" and have the next three books on my Kindle.  Great stories!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Nancy,

I am so glad you found us again. I have been out of touch for the last few weeks, and now I have to catch up on all of the posts I missed.

I loved the Outlander books, and I thought the series was well done.

Jan
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

@jgaff55 wrote:
Nancy,

I am so glad you found us again. I have been out of touch for the last few weeks, and now I have to catch up on all of the posts I missed.

I loved the Outlander books, and I thought the series was well done.

Jan

As I write this, we are exactly one month away from Outlander, episode nine.  I'm not quite finished with the first book in the Outlander series, but want to be finished by April 4th, when the TV series begins again.  Lots of reading to do!

Nancy

0 Kudos

@aberlaine wrote:

@doglover52 wrote:

Hi folks,

I posted here a long time ago while AARP was fooling with the site.  I've just rediscovered it and have been reading all your comments since August.  I've requested "The Boys in the Boat" from my local library (Kindle version) and will be discussing it with the book group on SeniorsLearn.  I think I'm also going to choose it for my book group for the month of January.

I've also read "City of Thieves" and thought it was a great read.  The story was shocking but well told.

Since Starz created "Outlander", I've been reading the book, "Outlander" and have the next three books on my Kindle.  Great stories!

Nancy

Good to see you back Nancy.  I was wondering if you would post again after all the changes.   My life is too hectic these days and I dont get much reading done, only about 30 minutes before I fall asleep.  Still reading non fiction from Allison Weir to fill in the gaps of my knowledge of early  English history.  A bit dry as she goes off on tangents but good reading for the most part.   

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

doglover, I added this book to my list.  I've read numbers of books about this time period - and this will teach me more.  I'm really enjoying Looking for Me and have maybe 20 more pages left to read.  I was hoping to do that this morning but my husband was in a talking mood this morning so he spent the morning reminiscing about his growing up days and about when he came to Cleveland from Morgantown, WV and took a job with General Motors. I've heard this many times before but it is best I just listen.  So I'm going to sneak some time and try to finish it today.

0 Kudos

Smiley Happy  Just the thought of Andy Williams makes me smile.   We f really liked  him too.  We have lost so many memorable personalities in the last few years.  

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi LDV,it took me 3 days to finish the book. I learn some interesting things about him I had no idea about. I highly recommend the book,its in paperback Sue
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

'Death Come Quickly', by Susan Wittig Albert.  She usually writes this series, featuring China Bayles, with the name of an herb in the title, but not this time.  These are what I call 'light' mysteries because they are in small towns and 'solved' by amatuers.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

LeCherie,

I am a fan of the China Bayles books, but I haven't read this one yet.  I am adding it to my list.  Thanks.

Jan

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I like Susan Wittig Albert.  I read a couple of her books but not lately.  I'm reading a really good book right now and I'll write it up another time.  TGhe Name is Looking For Me and it takes place between a small farming town she grew up in and Charleston, South Carolina.  The main person has a way with refinishing and refurbishing old furniture which she has done since she was 11 when she found an old chair on the side of the road in her country town.  I believe there will be a love interest but it hasn't come to that yet.  The main theme seems to be the woman believes she does not have a close relationship with her mother and can't seem to please her.  It's really good - I'm reading it for book discussion.  This is what I would call a "homey" kind of read.

0 Kudos

@Angel-Sally wrote:

I like Susan Wittig Albert.  I read a couple of her books but not lately.  I'm reading a really good book right now and I'll write it up another time.  TGhe Name is Looking For Me and it takes place between a small farming town she grew up in and Charleston, South Carolina.  The main person has a way with refinishing and refurbishing old furniture which she has done since she was 11 when she found an old chair on the side of the road in her country town.  I believe there will be a love interest but it hasn't come to that yet.  The main theme seems to be the woman believes she does not have a close relationship with her mother and can't seem to please her.  It's really good - I'm reading it for book discussion.  This is what I would call a "homey" kind of read.

Sally I am unable to make out the name of the book due to the typo.  Would you mind also sharing the name of the author?  It sounds like a book I would like to read.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Good Morning LaDolce Vita.  The name of the book is LOOKING FOR ME by Beth Hoffman.

I just finished another book SAFE WITH ME by Amy Hatvany which I really enjoyed.

I would highly recommend either one of these books.  And, I'll be looking for other books the authors have written.

0 Kudos

Thanks Sally, I was just trying to edit my post to let you know I figured out the title of the book from the posts which followed yours.  The system would not let me  change my post.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Sally,

Looking For Me is on my wishlist. I am interested in hearing what you think about it.  

Jan

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Looking for Me - I really enjoyed it and hope to make it to the book club next Monday.  At the beginning of this year I had scheduled four luncheons with former high school women friends and this is on the same date.  I can leave the luncheon early and get there for Book Club since it is only five minutes from where our luncheon is being held.  Story of a girl raised on a farm who grew up to move to a big city where she refurnishes old furniture in an antique shop which she later buys when the owner retires.  She has a brother who was very into nature compassionate with all sorts of animals and birds and he disappears and there is that thread all through the book.  Does she every find him, read the book and find out.  You'll enjoy it, Im sure.

I just finished another book that I thoroughly enjoyed though the very beginning almost made me send it back to the library. The name of the book is Safe With Me.  In the first chapter, a woman's young daughter rides her bicycle down the driveway and out into the street and is killed by a driver going by.  Not the driver's fault.  I think you would enjoy this one once you get past that point.  I had a hard time putting it down.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Sally,  You have me convinced that I want to read both Safe With Me and Looking For Me - thanks for mentioning them.  Hope your plan to make it to both luncheon and book club works out.  Those luncheons sound like fun!  Pam

p.s. Sue, after I made this post, I noticed your post about Girl You Left Behind and Hothouse.  You have made them sound intriguing, so I will be taking a look at them also - thanks for mentioning them!  Pam 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi, I'm new to AARP so this is my first time here. I am finishing up reading "An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon and then will be starting her next book " Written in my own Heart's Blood" I'm hooked on her books.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Welcome to the group, ks89791218.  I have enjoyed Diana Gabaldon's books since the very first one came out in paperback.  I have not yet read "Written In My Own Heart's Blood", but it is on my list.  I am waiting for it to be available at the library.

Jan

0 Kudos

@ks89791218 wrote:

Hi, I'm new to AARP so this is my first time here. I am finishing up reading "An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon and then will be starting her next book " Written in my own Heart's Blood" I'm hooked on her books.

Good to have you on board.  I watched  "The Outlanders" based on Diana Gabalson's book on youtube, but do not have  the Starz channel so I will not be able to see the series until it comes to Netflix.   I have not read the books but have gotten quite a few of them for my mom from the library.

BTW, has anyone noticed there is a direct picture link on the Home Page to our thread?  There is one to a Front Porch thread too.   I am very happy to see this because Booktalk used to be one of the most popular threads and it was buried within this new site.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi ks,welcome aboard to AARP,and to 'what's everybody reading? group. I've read the first 2 books in'94"Outlander&"Firefly",then in '97 read"Drums of Autumn",really enjoyed the books.I think its a good idea to start reading the books in order,so you don't get confused with the time warp Claire goes thru in each book.
On the premium channel,"Starz" a new tv show based on the first book"Outlander" started airing last week Weds at 9pm. Sue
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Welcome to our reading group.  Always glad to have new members.  I've heard that author's name but haven't read anything by her yet so I've added it to my list.

0 Kudos

I was browsing our home book shelves and found the above title.  Must be my mom's book and surprisingly I have not read it before.   Beautifully written and very entertaining.  I have followed up by requesting The Private Life of Mona Lisa by the same author.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

Hi folks!  I did not want to be absent for so long but more troubles came my way.  I found my mom on the floor one morning last week and she ended up in the hospital for 3 days.  Played havoc with my schedule.  She is well now and doing some physical therapy.   The bandage is still on her nose.

I was about half way through the Marsh King's Daughter and gave up.  Supposed to be historical fiction.   Well, It was just fiction set in another century and not very interesting.  I'm reading the Light in the Ruins but have only just begun.  I have lots of books o my list but no time to order them right now.

Jan I am so glad to hear yo will not be without a library.  

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
AARP Members Only Games

AARP Members, play Pong, the game that started it all! Grab your paddle, play the angles and score to win.

Paddles up!
AARP Members Only Games Atari Pong
Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits.

Learn more now.
/html/assets/SS-Marketing-Image-300x155.jpg