AARP members get more! Take a look at your member benefits.

Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

What's everyone reading?

Message 601 of 9,930

I am between books right now - trying to catch up with four months of magazines, catalogs, etc.  We celebrate Christmas so it is an unusually busy time for us right now.  These are the books I have in line to read from the library:  Precious Thing by Colette McBeth, Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri, and two Debbie Macomber books - Mr Miracle an Trading Christmas.  These are all lighter reading for me (I think).

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 602 of 9,930

I enjoy war history and cultural studies as well. L' Chayim is Hebrew for " To Life".

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 603 of 9,930

Hi L' Chayim.  Not sure if that is your name or something else.  Sorry.  Like you, I'm not a fan of science fiction or books about witches, etc.  Since I joined the book club at our library 5 or 6 years ago, I've found another whole kind of book.  The first book we read was Bookseller of Kabul and it sparked an interest to learn more about other countries around the world and I've read numbers of books about WWII, China, Africa, South America.  Some are novels based on history at the time and some are more current written by journalists.  One I found interesting was Out of Mao's Shadow.   guess I too young to really know or understand and my family didn't get into the horror's of war because for sure we were too young.  Because my grandparents came from English, I've always had an interest in the Kings and Queens and I'm still finding new books on varioius family members.

Anyhow, I'd like to welcome you to "the group".  Sally

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 604 of 9,930

Hi Everyone, I was looking for a new book chat group. A few others I tried online were mostly twenty and thirtysomethings with rather diverse reading taste. I'm not really interested in vampire series or "The Fault in Our Stars"...reallySmiley Wink...

So maybe this is a group I'll fit into a bit better. A book I found by chance the other day is called "Number Our Days" by Barbera Myerhoff. I just started it, a cultural study of a community of Jewish seniors in CA. It was published in 1978 but the humor and wisdom are timeless.

Especially at this time of the year we need some gentle encouragement that perhaps being older can mean being better. Oy, that it's in the attitude...L' Chayim

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 605 of 9,930

"...R.I.P.  -  author P. D. James  (Phyllis Dorothy James)...".

Had no idea. Thanks for posting this.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 606 of 9,930

@doglover52 wrote:

I finished reading "The Boys In The Boat" by Daniel James Brown,true story of Univ of Washington 8 man rowing crew competing in the 1936 Berlin Olympics. It was a wonderful history lesson something I never knew about. I loved the book,highly recommend it. The book I'm reading now is Andy Williams memoir"Moon River &Me",always liked him,he died in 2012. Sue

Hi folks,

I posted here a long time ago while AARP was fooling with the site.  I've just rediscovered it and have been reading all your comments since August.  I've requested "The Boys in the Boat" from my local library (Kindle version) and will be discussing it with the book group on SeniorsLearn.  I think I'm also going to choose it for my book group for the month of January.

I've also read "City of Thieves" and thought it was a great read.  The story was shocking but well told.

Since Starz created "Outlander", I've been reading the book, "Outlander" and have the next three books on my Kindle.  Great stories!

Nancy

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 607 of 9,930

R.I.P.  -  author P. D. James  (Phyllis Dorothy James)

August 3, 1920  -  November 27, 2014

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 608 of 9,930

We remember you and miss you!!   I was just thinking about you the other day.  We have not heard from you since your mom died.   My life is getting increasingly hectic but I visit here several times a week.  So glad to see you and dont  be a stranger.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 609 of 9,930

MJhi,

Traveling Mercies is on my wish list.  I am glad to know that you are enjoying it.  I like her writing style, and this sounds like a book I could get in to.

Jan

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 610 of 9,930
I am glad to hear that Edie and Bev are both OK. I miss seeing them here.
Jan
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs