Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 701 of 10,034
Pam,I don't follow the Politics discussions because they can become mean spirited,sometimes they get 'off topic',it gets confusing what people are posting to. A friend of mine read the book you're reading and enjoyed it Sue
Walkers Take It All In Strides
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 702 of 10,034

@doglover52 wrote:

The book I'm about to read is a memoir by one of my all time favorite TV actors,late Efrem Zimbalist,Jr. he died in May,age 95 The title is "My Dinner With Herbs",wasn't aware he wrote this until recently,book came out in 2004. I had a huge crush on him as a teenager,he was the star of the hit ABC show"The FBI",that's where it started for me.

One of my all time favorite detective shows was "Remington Steele'{'82-'85} which starred his daughter,Stephanie along with Pierce Brosnan. Efrem appeared in recurring role as "Daniel Chambers"playing Steele's mentor. It was always fun to watch him&his daughter in scenes together. I know some background about his family,hope the book details more. Sue

Sue,  It sounds like your should find Zimbalist's memoir quite interesting - and I hope you do!

I am currently 80 pages into Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker, a novel by Jennifer Chiaverini.  Have not read any reviews, so am not sure exactly where this novel will take me.  The Civil War has just begun and Willie Lincoln has died.  I cannot promise those of you who know me to be a "popcorn reader" that this is not "popcorn", but it is certainly well-written thus far, "popcorn" or not.

I have found that I am not absorbing written material very well when I have to read it off of an electronic screen.  I was somewhat dismayed when I realized that fact.  If I had to do all my reading via a screen, I imagine reading would no longer be one of my favorite diversions.  

Since all of us at this topic supposedly enjoy reading, I would like to ask:  do any of you try to actively follow the posts at Politics and Current Events, here at AARP site?  Some of those posts are so long and convoluted that I have given up trying to follow them.  But I am still capable of reading the Tampa Bay Times every day, and I do so.  So, I am giving myself a pat on the back for that.

Happy reading, everyone!   Pam

additional comment:  I know The Tampa Bay Times is not of Wall Street Journal, New York Times,  Washington Post, etc,  caliber, but it is our local paper, along with the Tampa Tribune of very few pages daily, so we subscribe and I read. My husband "has" to have local, as well as national, sports news to read every morning with his coffee, and he is not about to go on-line to do his reading.  Hence our subscription to The Tampa Bay Times (which I wish was still called The St. Pete Times...)

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 703 of 10,034

The book I'm about to read is a memoir by one of my all time favorite TV actors,late Efrem Zimbalist,Jr. he died in May,age 95 The title is "My Dinner With Herbs",wasn't aware he wrote this until recently,book came out in 2004. I had a huge crush on him as a teenager,he was the star of the hit ABC show"The FBI",that's where it started for me.

One of my all time favorite detective shows was "Remington Steele'{'82-'85} which starred his daughter,Stephanie along with Pierce Brosnan. Efrem appeared in recurring role as "Daniel Chambers"playing Steele's mentor. It was always fun to watch him&his daughter in scenes together. I know some background about his family,hope the book details more. Sue

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 704 of 10,034
Hi L'Chayim,i too welcome you to the group. We lost a lot of posters when the 'powers that be' decided to revamp the website in March. I'm glad you have found us,look forward to your future posts. Sue
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

What's everyone reading?

Message 705 of 10,034

I am between books right now - trying to catch up with four months of magazines, catalogs, etc.  We celebrate Christmas so it is an unusually busy time for us right now.  These are the books I have in line to read from the library:  Precious Thing by Colette McBeth, Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri, and two Debbie Macomber books - Mr Miracle an Trading Christmas.  These are all lighter reading for me (I think).

Highlighted
Social Butterfly

Message 706 of 10,034

I enjoy war history and cultural studies as well. L' Chayim is Hebrew for " To Life".

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 707 of 10,034

Hi L' Chayim.  Not sure if that is your name or something else.  Sorry.  Like you, I'm not a fan of science fiction or books about witches, etc.  Since I joined the book club at our library 5 or 6 years ago, I've found another whole kind of book.  The first book we read was Bookseller of Kabul and it sparked an interest to learn more about other countries around the world and I've read numbers of books about WWII, China, Africa, South America.  Some are novels based on history at the time and some are more current written by journalists.  One I found interesting was Out of Mao's Shadow.   guess I too young to really know or understand and my family didn't get into the horror's of war because for sure we were too young.  Because my grandparents came from English, I've always had an interest in the Kings and Queens and I'm still finding new books on varioius family members.

Anyhow, I'd like to welcome you to "the group".  Sally

Highlighted
Social Butterfly

Message 708 of 10,034

Hi Everyone, I was looking for a new book chat group. A few others I tried online were mostly twenty and thirtysomethings with rather diverse reading taste. I'm not really interested in vampire series or "The Fault in Our Stars"...really;)...

So maybe this is a group I'll fit into a bit better. A book I found by chance the other day is called "Number Our Days" by Barbera Myerhoff. I just started it, a cultural study of a community of Jewish seniors in CA. It was published in 1978 but the humor and wisdom are timeless.

Especially at this time of the year we need some gentle encouragement that perhaps being older can mean being better. Oy, that it's in the attitude...L' Chayim

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 709 of 10,034

"...R.I.P.  -  author P. D. James  (Phyllis Dorothy James)...".

Had no idea. Thanks for posting this.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 710 of 10,034

@doglover52 wrote:

I finished reading "The Boys In The Boat" by Daniel James Brown,true story of Univ of Washington 8 man rowing crew competing in the 1936 Berlin Olympics. It was a wonderful history lesson something I never knew about. I loved the book,highly recommend it. The book I'm reading now is Andy Williams memoir"Moon River &Me",always liked him,he died in 2012. Sue

Hi folks,

I posted here a long time ago while AARP was fooling with the site.  I've just rediscovered it and have been reading all your comments since August.  I've requested "The Boys in the Boat" from my local library (Kindle version) and will be discussing it with the book group on SeniorsLearn.  I think I'm also going to choose it for my book group for the month of January.

I've also read "City of Thieves" and thought it was a great read.  The story was shocking but well told.

Since Starz created "Outlander", I've been reading the book, "Outlander" and have the next three books on my Kindle.  Great stories!

Nancy

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards.

Solve your favorite crosswords on AARP Games to earn AARP Rewards points. Try your hand at the Daily Crossword, the Mini Crossword, and Let’s Crossword, the new member game you can play with family and friends. Play Now.