Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 601 of 9,922

MJhi,

Traveling Mercies is on my wish list.  I am glad to know that you are enjoying it.  I like her writing style, and this sounds like a book I could get in to.

Jan

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 602 of 9,922
I am glad to hear that Edie and Bev are both OK. I miss seeing them here.
Jan
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 603 of 9,922

Bon Jovi,

We missed you while you were gone.  A lot of people have not come back since this last change.  I keep hoping moire will find their way here, and that we would get the old camaraderie back.

Jan

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 604 of 9,922

Hi all and hello to Bon Jovi!  I used to drop in on "Golden Girls" and catch up from time to time.  I can't remember if my username was changed by then.  I used to be "mimi1921."  So glad to hear you've kept up with the others.  I wondered from time to time what happened to you, Edie and Beverly.

I just wanted to share with you all that I read Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.  I loved the book and I was glad to have finished it, even though the violence in the POW camps was difficult to get through.  I have a friend "in real life" who had to stop reading it because of the violence.  I think the message of forgiveness and Louie's ability to survive his life's seemingly insurmountable challenges through God's grace gives us all hope for the future and it is quite powerful to those of us who have found ourselves in difficult circumstances.

I am looking forward to seeing Angelina Jolie's treatment of the film version.  While I know that there will be some emphasis on the horrific maltreatment of LZ and the other prisoners in order to provide contrast for Louie's redemption, I think it is necessary for us to develop empathy for the characters.

I saw Brad Pitt's movie "Fury" last week.  The story was compelling but it was a war movie and the carnage portrayed was almost too horrible to comprehend.  I was nauseated and had nightmares after seeing it with my brother and son.  They were very quiet afterward and agreed it was pretty grim.  I feel I have to say, though, if the movie was actually based on reality...my heart has nothing but love and admiration for the soldiers who have fought as patriots for milennia.  I tend to think that if women ruled the world...war would be a thing of the past.  ~  Mimi

“The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
War With Honour, 1940 ~ A.A. Milne
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 605 of 9,922
Hi MJhi,I like some Anne Lamott's books . I loved read"Traveling Mercies,"Plan B,"Grace Eventually". Her others were ok"Imperfect Birds","Some Assembly Required" she co wrote with her son,Sam about the birth of his son. The other book"Stitches" is essays about life.Her new one was just published,I think its continuation of last book. Sue
Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 606 of 9,922

Hi!

Getting back in contact after a long hiatus.  Still reading, though!  Just finished reading (nonfiction) Anne Lamott's TRAVELING MERCIES:  SOME THOUGHTS ON FAITH.  Very good book on religious and Christian journey of a liberal, nonconformist author, though be warned it does have a number of f-bombs (and other cussin').  This is the author's way of speaking, not just added to be modern. 

I had heard of her books through friends, and had also seen an interview with her on the PBS program, "Religion and Ethics Newsweekly."  She writes both fiction and nonfiction. 

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 607 of 9,922
It is good to hear from you. I've never forgotten you or the many friends I made here. Some I still keep in touch with via facebook, etc. haven't had much time to read or post here. The last two years have been busy. Spent a year caring for my mom until she passed and cancer has hit my grandsons. Still some good things going on though. Managed a nice vacation to Georgia and South Carolina. What are you reading now? I'm still reading Unbroken. So far it's about his running and hasn't got to his war years. I think it will pick up then. Both Edie and Beverly are fine. Bev is on facebook and I keep in touch with Edie by mail and phone.
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 608 of 9,922

Bon Jovi, of course I remember you.  It's so nice to see you back.  I'm back after a year or so away myself.  When I had both my knees replaced in March 2013 I closed myself off all the sites where I knew I'd get way to many e-mails to catch up with.  While I was away, they changed the format and I couldn't find the site when I came back.  It just isn't as fun as it was back then when we jibber jabbed about books and other things.  As you may have seen, I inquired about Edie but no one knows where she went.  This site has been so frustrating over the years I've been on it.  No wonder, so many people have left.  .I'm so glad you are here.    Sally 

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 609 of 9,922
Don't know if anyone still remembers me but way back when I started this thread. Good to see some of my old friends are still here. Hi Angel Sally and La Dolce Vita. Not sure how this new site works but I will give it a shot. I'm currently reading Unbroken. Can't wait to see the movie and hope to finish the book before it gets here. There is even a story about it in my husband's legion magazine.
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 610 of 9,922

La Dolce Vita, I've noticed recently that some of the kinds of books I used to enjoy don't hold my interest any more.  I've come to the point where if something upsets me about the direction the book takes, I'm out of there also.  I'm not planning on reading Unbroken either.  It might have been on my list a while back but that was before I heard more about the story.

Kudos
Views