From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

re: What's everyone reading?

Message 9721 of 9,922
In Response to post:

Edie,

Yes, my message about the letter is two pages back, but it's no biggie.  I just brought it to your attention because of all the trouble you and I have had. Did you notice on the Non-fiction thread that someone has a pink background to the post?  That's something we don't have yet!

I'm still working through The Devil in the White City.  I think I will be on it a while.  It moves slower than fiction and is not a short  book.  It's really good though.

Nice to have a three day weekend!

Kathy

Kathy,

I saw Anne's (ramblyn) pink background; I think that happened right before they took the whole yellow-background-little-squares-jumping-text away.

I've finished William Kent Krueger's Thunder Bay and am thinking of what book to start now.   It will either be Rose Connors' Maximum Security or Disturbing The Dead by Sandra Parshall (this is a find by Spinner).

The winners of the Boston Marathon came in over an hour ago... now the rest of the 20,000 plus runners are coming in.  The woman winner this year is from Ethiopia.  The guy who came in first this year is from Kenya.  The wheelchair winners are always impressive.  Van Dyke from Holland won first place again in the men's wheelchair race and a Japanese woman won first place in the female wheelchair race.

-Edie 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9722 of 9,922
In Response to post:

Hi
Edie,

I'm
really
sorry
that
I
can't
helpI
don't
know
of
any
number
that
you
can
call
other
than
whoever
you
called
when
you
needed
help
getting
on
boardMaybe,
you
could
send
a
community
help
and
tell
them
your
problem

Hope
you
have
a
great
weekendWe
are
getting
a
rain/snow
mix
but
it's
not
staying
on
the
ground
since
we've
had
so
much
rain
and
the
ground
is
too
wetWarm
up
this
weekCan't
wait.

Have
a
good
weekend.

Janese

I have one more chapter left to read in a new book entitled "The Teapot Dome Scandal" by Laton McCartney.  It's one of those books that's hard to put down.  I've always known how important it is to know the full story and the specifics about things, and the opening of this books shows that.  Previously, I've only read that Albert Fall had persuaded Edwin Denby to transfer the oil reserves to the Department of the Interior, but no more.  This book explained the kind of person Denby was, which threw light on why the transfer was made so easily.  I highly recommend this book.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9723 of 9,922
In Response to post:

Kathy,

I've forgotten about the letter... Is it here, in this thread? 

The little squares, along with the yellow background, have gone away! Smiley Very Happy

Yes, not being able to read after you've come to love it, is a tough situation.

We have a three day holiday weekend because tomorrow we celebrate Patriots Day and The Boston Marathon.  This is always a fun day.

-Edie

Edie,

Yes, my message about the letter is two pages back, but it's no biggie.  I just brought it to your attention because of all the trouble you and I have had. Did you notice on the Non-fiction thread that someone has a pink background to the post?  That's something we don't have yet!

I'm still working through The Devil in the White City.  I think I will be on it a while.  It moves slower than fiction and is not a short  book.  It's really good though.

Nice to have a three day weekend!

Kathy

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9724 of 9,922
In Response to post:

Hi Cathy,

So I'm not the only one with the jumpy typing! I thought it might have something to do with my using the Firefox browser but I guess not.

As I'm typing this reply everything is working beautifully. No jumping type and no yellow highlights. I wonder if someone changed something?

I ran across Wm. Kent Krueger accidently at the library's new book section a couple years ago. I started in the middle of the series, which is not the way to go, but I liked the book anyway. If I could just get the next one in line, which I requested six weeks ago, I would like to get back to him.

I typed all of this witn no problems at all!!!!  Maybe things are looking up.

Spinner

Spinner,

I'm glad to say I don't get the jumping or yellow anymore either.  I hope things are holding up at your end.  I do find the whole operation incredibly slow.  I wonder if anyone else notices this.  I don't think it's my computer because it is the only site where I have the problem.  This morning, on other threads, I saw that some posts were on a "lovely" pink background.  Haven't got that yet!

I am reading Erik Larson's "The Devil in the White City".  I don't generally read non-fiction, but my son had read this and thought I would like it.  It follows two men, who actually don't meet each other but whose lives affect each other.  One is the architect of the 1893 Chicago Worlds Fair and the other is a killer who lures his victims into the fair.  It's 400 pages of small print in one of those oversized paperbacks, so I imagine it will take a while to read.  Non-fiction moves slower for me.  It's fascinating though.

Kathy

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9725 of 9,922
In Response to post:

Edie,

You have no idea how I can relate to what you said about not being able to read.  Twenty years ago, an event in our family caused me to lose the concentration needed to read and I fought it for a year.  I couldn't listen to music either.  But my daughter and daughter-in-law  kept me busy and pulled me out of whatever depression I was in.  I'm sure it was a kind of depression, although I was never down and out like so many people get.  I finally reached the point where I said "enough".  I didn't like being that way.  Gradually I was able to return to the reading that was so much a part of my existence.  I'm glad you were able to do the same.

I am intrigued by the little squares you keep mentioning.  Where do they appear and are they all over the place? That is something I haven't seen.  I am not having trouble typing anymore, but if I want to change anything, the powers that be don't seem to like it.  Did you get my message telling about the letter I got, by the way? I knew you would understand my chuckles about that.

Kathy

Kathy,

I've forgotten about the letter... Is it here, in this thread? 

The little squares, along with the yellow background, have gone away! Smiley Very Happy

Yes, not being able to read after you've come to love it, is a tough situation.

We have a three day holiday weekend because tomorrow we celebrate Patriots Day and The Boston Marathon.  This is always a fun day.

-Edie

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9726 of 9,922
In Response to post:

Kathy,

The post where I asked if you'd typed in the box is meant for my son, as you might have noticed already.

Sveral years ago, I went through a traumatic event and was not able to read; a friend suggested that I take some books on tape out of the library... This, plus a lot of therapy brought me back to reading again.  Anyway, Victoria Holt was one of the authors I remember listening to and I've never been able to read a book by her or other authors I heard "on tape", since I came back to reading regularly again.  I think I associate their names with a lot of painful feelings I had.

Hooray! Maybe the yellow background, jumping typing and little squares are HISTORY!  Smiley Very Happy

-Edie  

Edie,

You have no idea how I can relate to what you said about not being able to read.  Twenty years ago, an event in our family caused me to lose the concentration needed to read and I fought it for a year.  I couldn't listen to music either.  But my daughter and daughter-in-law  kept me busy and pulled me out of whatever depression I was in.  I'm sure it was a kind of depression, although I was never down and out like so many people get.  I finally reached the point where I said "enough".  I didn't like being that way.  Gradually I was able to return to the reading that was so much a part of my existence.  I'm glad you were able to do the same.

I am intrigued by the little squares you keep mentioning.  Where do they appear and are they all over the place? That is something I haven't seen.  I am not having trouble typing anymore, but if I want to change anything, the powers that be don't seem to like it.  Did you get my message telling about the letter I got, by the way? I knew you would understand my chuckles about that.

Kathy

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9727 of 9,922
In Response to post:

Edie,

Just as I posted my reply to you, another message came from you.  Such timing!  The post I was confused about was the one concerning typing in a box.  I don't know what you mean.

Thank goodness your son can help you.  Again I am noticing that the jumping typing is gone and there is no yellow.  But it takes so long for this reply form to appear.  I hope they fix that.

Since we were talking about Phyllis Whitney, I wondered if you ever read Victoria Holt, Dorothy Eden, or Mary Stewart.  They all wrote during the same time and about similar themes.  I read an awful lot of those books.  Mary Stewart did a set of four about King Arthur that I didn't read, but I read all the rest of hers.  The other two put out a huge list of books.  I really enjoyed them.

Kathy

Kathy,

The post where I asked if you'd typed in the box is meant for my son, as you might have noticed already.

Sveral years ago, I went through a traumatic event and was not able to read; a friend suggested that I take some books on tape out of the library... This, plus a lot of therapy brought me back to reading again.  Anyway, Victoria Holt was one of the authors I remember listening to and I've never been able to read a book by her or other authors I heard "on tape", since I came back to reading regularly again.  I think I associate their names with a lot of painful feelings I had.

Hooray! Maybe the yellow background, jumping typing and little squares are HISTORY!  Smiley Very Happy

-Edie  

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9728 of 9,922
In Response to post:

Edie,

I don't understand what you meant by this message.  As far as I know, I haven't done anything different.

Thanks for having your son write me.  You must be royally frustrated by all that is happening.  Hey, I just noticed that the typing is not jumping and I see no yellow.  Spinner said the same thing earlier, so maybe some repair work has been done.

Somewhere, you said that you felt you had to answer right away or you would lose friends.  Believe me, that would never happen.  You are too vital to this thread and a super-nice person besides!

Let me know what your most recent posting to me meant.  I'm curious.

Kathy

Kathy,

My recent post to you was meant for Pablo!  We were working back and forth until I got it.

Sorry to be confusing ,

-Edie

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9729 of 9,922
In Response to post:

Kathy,

You are probably wondering what in the world is going on here with these strange messages.  My son Pablo works in Bermuda and he just helped me get back online here.

Yes, at one time I did read some books by Phyllis Whitney and I came to the same conclusion... Who needs this mystical hocus pocus?

O.K., there are undoubtedly people who enjoy reading about the spirit world, but they probably know what books would attract them.

Oh, well... I hope this message goes through and that you are enjoying the weekend.

-Edie

Edie,

Just as I posted my reply to you, another message came from you.  Such timing!  The post I was confused about was the one concerning typing in a box.  I don't know what you mean.

Thank goodness your son can help you.  Again I am noticing that the jumping typing is gone and there is no yellow.  But it takes so long for this reply form to appear.  I hope they fix that.

Since we were talking about Phyllis Whitney, I wondered if you ever read Victoria Holt, Dorothy Eden, or Mary Stewart.  They all wrote during the same time and about similar themes.  I read an awful lot of those books.  Mary Stewart did a set of four about King Arthur that I didn't read, but I read all the rest of hers.  The other two put out a huge list of books.  I really enjoyed them.

Kathy

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9730 of 9,922
In Response to post:

You actually typed in the box?

Edie,

I don't understand what you meant by this message.  As far as I know, I haven't done anything different.

Thanks for having your son write me.  You must be royally frustrated by all that is happening.  Hey, I just noticed that the typing is not jumping and I see no yellow.  Spinner said the same thing earlier, so maybe some repair work has been done.

Somewhere, you said that you felt you had to answer right away or you would lose friends.  Believe me, that would never happen.  You are too vital to this thread and a super-nice person besides!

Let me know what your most recent posting to me meant.  I'm curious.

Kathy

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera