Credit freezes are free under a federal law that just went into effect. Learn how to protect your credit.

Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What myths or beliefs have you had difficulty giving up? And how old were you?

Message 1 of 9

Are you saying there is no tooth fairy 🧚🏽‍♀️ or Santa 🎅?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What myths or beliefs have you had difficulty giving up? And how old were you?

Message 2 of 9

I don't know for sure if this is a myth or belief but one of the main things I remember when I was young (4 or 5) is my favorite book that my mom used to read to me:  Little Black **bleep**.  I don't ever remember wondering why he was black, I just loved the book.  I've always thought that maybe that's the reason that, as I've 'grown up', I've never had a prejudiced bone in my body.  I don't condemn people because of their race/color of their skin, religion, employment status, profession, choice of lifestyle, etc.   Why use up my energy griping, seething, angry, etc....over someone who looks or thinks differently than I do?  I could go on and on but I think you get my gist.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

Don't remember my age but learning that Santa was not real felt like a betrayal by my parents.  They lied to me and set me up to feel foolish.

Left religion behind when I was very young but at the time it was not a problem.

In my high school days I followed many supernatural or fringe beliefs such as Alchemy, UFOs, strange occurences, ghosts, talking to the dead, Velekovsky, alien abductions, etc.  But after high school my skepticism (learned) kicked in and all that Woo would fall by the wayside.  Wish I'd had skeptical training earlier in my life.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

Religeon is nothing more than a group of people trying to prove they know how other people should live their lives. However, Jesus is not a religeon. Coming to know Jesus as ones personal Savior is a blessed relationship that will last all the way through eternity. 

I am so sorry that no one ever told you what to do to be saved thus never feeling completely alone again. Jesus loves you so much that he came down to earth to die and rise again that His shed blood would cover all your sins. Only through the grace of God and the love of the Son can you have eternal life with the Trinity..Too bad the nun was too concerned with hats to find out about what God is concerned with. Read Romans 10:9-13 and find a church that only preaches the Bible. May God be with you as you continue your life here on earth.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

I still have some trouble with this on occasion - believing that someone really is who they show themselves to be.  Who people really are depends on the situation, the people they are with and what their goals are from a relationship.  My parents were just who they were no matter who was around. Getting married at 18, I finally realized what my mother meant by street angel - house devil.  Spent the next 18 years listening to my new family tear down everyone they knew while being so sweet to their face.  (You know they are tearing you down when you're not there.)  Saw my kids learn to do it.  Came to the conclusion only a few people are like that.  Learned most people are like that when I moved out of state, made new friends, went through their dumping me, ghosting me, shunning me when the bottom fell out of my world both in terms of finances and health.  I really love and trust the friends I have had for 30 to 50 years who have proven to be who they say they are.  They are back home and I have one friend here.  At 72, I will never make another real friend because I no longer believe that people are who they claim to be or show themselves to be.  All one has to do is look at political, community, and religious leaders.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

I was eight years old when I realized that religion was mean and not worth my time.  

My Dad had sent me to Mass one Sunday morning by myself because my Mom was sick and he needed to stay with her and my baby brother.  

I went into the church and took my usual seat where my family always sat.  Shortly after Mass began, a nun came to our pew and motioned for me to follow her.  She grabbed me by my arm just below my shoulder (very hard) and literally dragged me to the back of the church.   In the vestibule she slapped me on the back of my head and shoved me out of the door- when I started to cry, she hissed, “that should teach you not to come into the Lord’s house without a hat.”  

It was a cold January day in Massachusetts.  I guess my Dad had sent me out without even thinking of the weather.  When I got home, my tears were frozen on my face.  I didn’t really have much difficulty drifting away from the church after that.  (I’m 73 now and remember that morning like it was yesterday)

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

Add blackeye peas and that was my family's tradition growing up.  I carried it into my adulthood for many years but I no longer follow this on a regular basis.  It is pretty much hit-and-miss these days.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

On New Years Day we always had to eat some cabbage ( usually fried ). I was told it was to have good luck for the year ahead. We still have fried cabbage, usually with smoked suasage on New Years day.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

What myths or beliefs have you had difficulty giving up? And how old were you?

Message 9 of 9

Santa Claus and the †ooth Fairy are a couple of young life stories that elicit many different reactions.  

Then I found that the directive to "grow up" had a lot more than one meaning to it, and that all grown-ups weren't "in compliance" with what I thought my father was trying to tell me. This happened during my adolescence.

About that same time I found out that character and reputation could mean very different things about the same person.

Saying "I do" doesn't necessarily mean "I will."  (1st marriage)

Giving up being single doesn't mean giving up the habits of living singly. (2nd marriage)

Hearing "I will" from a man who had been empting my trash for 5 years meant I had a winner till the very end. (Last marriage and worth the wait) 

Questions about the afterlife are hard to discuss generally, but I do look forward to getting at least one answer after this life, if for no other reason than to be able to say THANK YOU for what I've left behind.

Kudos
Views
Replies