There's always more to explore with your AARP membership. Explore your member benefits today.
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What myths or beliefs have you had difficulty giving up? And how old were you?

Message 11 of 12

On New Years Day we always had to eat some cabbage ( usually fried ). I was told it was to have good luck for the year ahead. We still have fried cabbage, usually with smoked suasage on New Years day.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

What myths or beliefs have you had difficulty giving up? And how old were you?

Message 12 of 12

Santa Claus and the †ooth Fairy are a couple of young life stories that elicit many different reactions.  

Then I found that the directive to "grow up" had a lot more than one meaning to it, and that all grown-ups weren't "in compliance" with what I thought my father was trying to tell me. This happened during my adolescence.

About that same time I found out that character and reputation could mean very different things about the same person.

Saying "I do" doesn't necessarily mean "I will."  (1st marriage)

Giving up being single doesn't mean giving up the habits of living singly. (2nd marriage)

Hearing "I will" from a man who had been empting my trash for 5 years meant I had a winner till the very end. (Last marriage and worth the wait) 

Questions about the afterlife are hard to discuss generally, but I do look forward to getting at least one answer after this life, if for no other reason than to be able to say THANK YOU for what I've left behind.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies