Recognized Social Butterfly

Unexpected Treats a few Miles from Waikiki

Today at the grounds of the Kahala Hotel, I was mesmerized by the antics of animals (real and fanciful). Unleashed dogs cavorted with one another along the waterfront, harmlessly nipping and artfully tumbling and racing about, or single-mindedly chasing after balls and Frisbees that their owners would fling along the shore and towards the groves abutting the golf course. The dogs reveled in this play, and I appreciated the opportunity to witness their competitive camaraderie.

Another spectacular animal tour de force occurred at Dolphin Quest in the center arena of the hotel complex. On the way to the rest room, I saw that it was feeding time. Right after the trainer gave slivers of fish to the two dolphins in her care and then hand-motioned accordingly, the dolphins performed in sync: they back pedaled, slapped their fins against the water, twisted into somersaults, acrobatically plunged high into the air, and effortlessly dove back into the water. After repeating these rollicking choreographed feats, the dolphins scurried back to the platform one last time. Watching their trainer’s hand gestures, the dolphins emitted their trademark high-pitched sounds in order to get their last morsels of fish.

To top off the animal theme later on in the afternoon, an inflated rainbow-colored unicorn undulated in the calm waters of the protected cove. Eager children took turns guiding it across the outskirts of the shore.

This spirited day at Kahala elevated my mood: There was entertainment galore: frisky dogs, pyrotechnic dolphins, and a radiant unicorn: just another outing in paradise.

schlomo
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png