Recognized Social Butterfly

UPLIFT

Uplift in Waikiki

Yesterday, I almost lost it on my final walk around the block. Watching a fairly young woman traipsing near me with her face mask on just her mouth, I said, “Lady, cover your nose, you idiot.” She didn’t acknowledge my advice; perhaps my low-registered voice was even more muffled by my mask, or perhaps she heard me and could have cared less what I cautioned her to do. I should have ignored her as well. Mea culpa!

But today was a different story. During my walk, I frequently noticed a properly masked middle-aged woman who unsuccessfully implored her dog to do its business. But when I saw them on my last lap, she used a different strategy. She started to rhapsodically dance about (variations on the two-step); her dog accommodated her with a huge dump that the woman quickly deposited in a Ziplock bag.

I could have been wrong. The woman had earplugs on; she might merely have decided to prance about to whatever music that appealed to her, regardless of her dog’s inclinations. Whatever her motivation, I was awed by her performance. I gained a newfound bounce to my own steps as I bypassed her and her ever-so-accommodating dog.

Some days, I scoff at the scofflaws who violate the mask mandates; but today, I appreciated someone who followed not only the regulations but also did so with elan.

schlomo
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png