With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

re: Things I need around Me: My Box of Words

Message 1 of 15
In Response to post:

rae1tom, let me say this as simply as possible---WOW!  You have a terrific writing ability,  I would say, you definately create pictures in the mind of the reader.  As to your box of words, I wished I was as organized.  I have things that I treasure, things I have made, or my children made or gave to me; but they seem to be scattered everywhere.  What a great idea your grandfather had to make you a special box, I'm sure he knew it would ultimately be a treasure to you.  I am curious, since you started as a budding artist, then discovered words, have you ever written and illustrated  anything like a childrens book?  Thanks again for the beautiful story. I, too, look forward to more of your writings. Sincerely, Trishamarie

Dear Friend,  Thank you for your kind words.  I have been working on several books for years, tweaking here and making changes there.  I have started to illustrate them, I have hundreds of drafts, and I have talked with several friends of mine that have actually illustrated books themselves.   One of whom has a gift/style that is exactly what I picture in my mind.  I may go with her.  My style is more botanical, hers is more Norman Rockwell or like the Hummels, she blends the colors so perfectly too.  Perfect for my stories.  But I will keep trying for myself first.  After all they are my babies.  Thank you again.  Your Friend with hugs....RaeDi

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15
In Response to Things I need around Me: My Box of Words:

My Box of Words

By….RaeDi © 2008

When I was young, I loved to draw. I would draw anything and everything. I would tape together with my Mom’s help typing paper to make a large drawing surface and would draw one of my favorite things, the earth from the globe sitting in our home library. I knew where everything was. I could not in the beginning read the words or know what each country was or where. However, I could draw a complete Atlas type picture showing everything that the globe showed, in minute details. My Mom would use a type of wall putty that she would hang the newest of maps on my wall, until I finished yet another one to replace it. I cannot tell you how I decided which maps that I drew would go into my word box and which ones I would give away, usually to my Grandpa Charlie when he came to visit. He would study it and show me everywhere he had been and where our family had come from and where they lived while on this earth. I found it so exciting to know that we had lived in so many places on my maps. When he departed after each visit, he would take the maps I had drawn, and I gave him many other pictures I had drawn, just for him. Those drawings were the pictures of things I knew Grandpa Charlie would love. We loved walking up to the twin parks and sitting on a bench and watching the cars and people go by. I remember drawing a picture of our bench and the trees in the park, and one was of the gazebo. He loved flowers so I would take hours drawing a perfect peony or dahlia; I knew he loved both of those flowers. Barns and country roads too, it was easy to know what to draw for Grandpa Charlie.

However, more important than my drawings was my box of words. My Grandpa Charlie had made me a special box of wood for my drawing and my cherished words. It was a big size for me when I was young. It was bigger than one of my dresser drawers. I kept it under my side of the bed. He had made it for me so my special things would always be safe.  I did not think I would ever have enough drawing or words to fill the box. How naive I was at the time.

After I started school, I learned my love of words was far greater than I could have imagined they could be. My first love, besides Sally, Dick, and Jane was the Weekly Reader that we got each week. From the very first week in school, I fell in love with this wonderful magazine full of information from around the world. I soon realized that my maps and my Weekly Readers were as one to me. At a very young age, I had started to make a list of the things I learned in my Weekly Reader, the list was of all the things I would someday go, visit, and see for myself. 

I soon learned reading opened up so many doors. I was learning so much about all the places I had drawn when I could not read. The words filled in my map with color. I soon found that I had a love of poetry and putting words together made for brilliant reading. I would look up where these authors lived on the globe. I would also take the time to write down the stories and poems and meticulously draw any illustrations that came with the poem or story. I would put these in my box of words. I had kept my Weekly Readers in this box, until I realized that I would need the space for my precious words and my special art the one I painstakingly had to pick what to keep and what I could give away. 

I started adding my words to my word box before I could really read for myself. If I heard a poem or story, I would ask to see it and copy everything precisely as it was in the book. I would write down who wrote the words that touched my soul. I kept a list of authors and artists in my box of words. Over the years, the box was reaching the point of having little room to add anything more. I have tried to part with some of it, but I have become so attached to each of these words. I have gone through this box countless times to retrieve some words that I would remember to share with others I thought would enjoy them as much as myself. These words have grown with me, they have fashioned my life and my soul. My art and its style are because of these words. The list that I made as a very young child reading the wonderful words in the Weekly Readers so long ago, I have gone and seen everything on this list but for one thing. I have seen the Concorde. I have had my picture taken next to the Saguaro’s that were so much bigger than I could have imagined, and seen that the desert is so alive with life I had no idea. I have seen the glaciers of blue in Alaska, the turquoise color water off the Islands of Hawaii.  The whales, I have seen more than I could possibly have dreamt of seeing.  I have been to the top of the Eiffel Tower. Seen Big Ben and the London Bridge, and what did I think when I saw it, the song London Bridge is falling down. I saved so much about our founding fathers, and I have visited each of their homes. I have climbed mountain high, and hot deserts low. I have walked by the rivers edges and valleys deep. I have seen the Mona Lisa, The Thinker, been to countless museums in countless countries and continents. I have gone to the theater from Broadway NYC to Paris, all because of my love of words. It all started with my simple love of drawing, and my Weekly Reader. The one place left on my list. Australia. The Kangaroo and the Koala Bear are what I have not seen that I put on my list of things to do so many years ago. In this box, I have put souvenirs (menus, handouts of plays, and movie tickets, pictures and so much more) of the places I have been with the list of things I wanted to do in this lifetime. In this box is the last letters my Grandpa Charlie wrote me and some very special letters and cards from my sister Jacquie that just passed a year ago. I have saved letters from other loved ones and special little paper art from my children. I found I saved the footprints of my twins when they were born. Their feet were just over an inch long when they made an early entrance into this world.  

My box of words, started as a very young girl, I could not yet read. It has moved with me from the Midwest to the Southeast. To the Northeast and again back down to the Southeast. Then it made it long journey with me to the Great Northwest. She has never been left behind, never out of my site. She was the first thing to go into the truck for our journey to each of our new homes. I did not trust the movers with my precious box of words. This box of words is my life it is my soul. It will be with me until the day my soul passes this world to the next. I do hope that my children will realize how much of me is in that old box of words, they each one are a part of me. 

To lose my box of words would be to lose my sense of self, my true bearings. It has made me me, it has matured my soul from a very young age. It has kept my eyes open and my heart beating, and even taken my breath away a few times. I have never been disappointed in my box of words. It has made my eyes see everything, my ears hear everything, and my hearts beat with all the adventures and beauty, my hands feel and even draw all this from the words of description I hold in my box of words. I could smell the flowers or the salt in the air from the words that I read. To feel the love, despair, laughter, and the sounds the words described and the colors, they each and all were alive to me at the moment of reading my words. My adventures have taken me around the world and back again. My box of words has been my soul keeper. I think I can say without pause, my box of words is I. I could not be without it, in all these years I could not say how many times I have been in and out of my box of words. Nevertheless, I have always held these papers, pictures with lightness, a grace, pure gentleness; I did not want to lose one word or drawing. The words were in a way a map to my world. All from drawing maps as a child that I could not yet read the words, these words I would love from the very beginning. My box of words is I. 

rae1tom, let me say this as simply as possible---WOW!  You have a terrific writing ability,  I would say, you definately create pictures in the mind of the reader.  As to your box of words, I wished I was as organized.  I have things that I treasure, things I have made, or my children made or gave to me; but they seem to be scattered everywhere.  What a great idea your grandfather had to make you a special box, I'm sure he knew it would ultimately be a treasure to you.  I am curious, since you started as a budding artist, then discovered words, have you ever written and illustrated  anything like a childrens book?  Thanks again for the beautiful story. I, too, look forward to more of your writings. Sincerely, Trishamarie

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15
In Response to post:

www.aarp.org/community/editor/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/thumbs_up.gif" />     What a wonderful memoir with the theme of your box of words taking you on adventures throughtout your life and you in turn giving life to your words.  What a wonderful marriage and world of words you've created from a very early age!  Bravo RaeDi!  Loved reading!  More!

Thank you for your kind words and you do indeed have a special style to your writing.  Your comment has given me pause, I hadn't thought of it like that, but it has been, thank you for joining the two of us together with this special way with words that you have my dear friend....RaeDi

Kudos
Views
MJ
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

My Box of Words

By….RaeDi © 2008

When I was young, I loved to draw. I would draw anything and everything. I would tape together with my Mom’s help typing paper to make a large drawing surface and would draw one of my favorite things, the earth from the globe sitting in our home library. I knew where everything was. I could not in the beginning read the words or know what each country was or where. However, I could draw a complete Atlas type picture showing everything that the globe showed, in minute details. My Mom would use a type of wall putty that she would hang the newest of maps on my wall, until I finished yet another one to replace it. I cannot tell you how I decided which maps that I drew would go into my word box and which ones I would give away, usually to my Grandpa Charlie when he came to visit. He would study it and show me everywhere he had been and where our family had come from and where they lived while on this earth. I found it so exciting to know that we had lived in so many places on my maps. When he departed after each visit, he would take the maps I had drawn, and I gave him many other pictures I had drawn, just for him. Those drawings were the pictures of things I knew Grandpa Charlie would love. We loved walking up to the twin parks and sitting on a bench and watching the cars and people go by. I remember drawing a picture of our bench and the trees in the park, and one was of the gazebo. He loved flowers so I would take hours drawing a perfect peony or dahlia; I knew he loved both of those flowers. Barns and country roads too, it was easy to know what to draw for Grandpa Charlie.

However, more important than my drawings was my box of words. My Grandpa Charlie had made me a special box of wood for my drawing and my cherished words. It was a big size for me when I was young. It was bigger than one of my dresser drawers. I kept it under my side of the bed. He had made it for me so my special things would always be safe.  I did not think I would ever have enough drawing or words to fill the box. How naive I was at the time.

After I started school, I learned my love of words was far greater than I could have imagined they could be. My first love, besides Sally, Dick, and Jane was the Weekly Reader that we got each week. From the very first week in school, I fell in love with this wonderful magazine full of information from around the world. I soon realized that my maps and my Weekly Readers were as one to me. At a very young age, I had started to make a list of the things I learned in my Weekly Reader, the list was of all the things I would someday go, visit, and see for myself. 

I soon learned reading opened up so many doors. I was learning so much about all the places I had drawn when I could not read. The words filled in my map with color. I soon found that I had a love of poetry and putting words together made for brilliant reading. I would look up where these authors lived on the globe. I would also take the time to write down the stories and poems and meticulously draw any illustrations that came with the poem or story. I would put these in my box of words. I had kept my Weekly Readers in this box, until I realized that I would need the space for my precious words and my special art the one I painstakingly had to pick what to keep and what I could give away. 

I started adding my words to my word box before I could really read for myself. If I heard a poem or story, I would ask to see it and copy everything precisely as it was in the book. I would write down who wrote the words that touched my soul. I kept a list of authors and artists in my box of words. Over the years, the box was reaching the point of having little room to add anything more. I have tried to part with some of it, but I have become so attached to each of these words. I have gone through this box countless times to retrieve some words that I would remember to share with others I thought would enjoy them as much as myself. These words have grown with me, they have fashioned my life and my soul. My art and its style are because of these words. The list that I made as a very young child reading the wonderful words in the Weekly Readers so long ago, I have gone and seen everything on this list but for one thing. I have seen the Concorde. I have had my picture taken next to the Saguaro’s that were so much bigger than I could have imagined, and seen that the desert is so alive with life I had no idea. I have seen the glaciers of blue in Alaska, the turquoise color water off the Islands of Hawaii.  The whales, I have seen more than I could possibly have dreamt of seeing.  I have been to the top of the Eiffel Tower. Seen Big Ben and the London Bridge, and what did I think when I saw it, the song London Bridge is falling down. I saved so much about our founding fathers, and I have visited each of their homes. I have climbed mountain high, and hot deserts low. I have walked by the rivers edges and valleys deep. I have seen the Mona Lisa, The Thinker, been to countless museums in countless countries and continents. I have gone to the theater from Broadway NYC to Paris, all because of my love of words. It all started with my simple love of drawing, and my Weekly Reader. The one place left on my list. Australia. The Kangaroo and the Koala Bear are what I have not seen that I put on my list of things to do so many years ago. In this box, I have put souvenirs (menus, handouts of plays, and movie tickets, pictures and so much more) of the places I have been with the list of things I wanted to do in this lifetime. In this box is the last letters my Grandpa Charlie wrote me and some very special letters and cards from my sister Jacquie that just passed a year ago. I have saved letters from other loved ones and special little paper art from my children. I found I saved the footprints of my twins when they were born. Their feet were just over an inch long when they made an early entrance into this world.  

My box of words, started as a very young girl, I could not yet read. It has moved with me from the Midwest to the Southeast. To the Northeast and again back down to the Southeast. Then it made it long journey with me to the Great Northwest. She has never been left behind, never out of my site. She was the first thing to go into the truck for our journey to each of our new homes. I did not trust the movers with my precious box of words. This box of words is my life it is my soul. It will be with me until the day my soul passes this world to the next. I do hope that my children will realize how much of me is in that old box of words, they each one are a part of me. 

To lose my box of words would be to lose my sense of self, my true bearings. It has made me me, it has matured my soul from a very young age. It has kept my eyes open and my heart beating, and even taken my breath away a few times. I have never been disappointed in my box of words. It has made my eyes see everything, my ears hear everything, and my hearts beat with all the adventures and beauty, my hands feel and even draw all this from the words of description I hold in my box of words. I could smell the flowers or the salt in the air from the words that I read. To feel the love, despair, laughter, and the sounds the words described and the colors, they each and all were alive to me at the moment of reading my words. My adventures have taken me around the world and back again. My box of words has been my soul keeper. I think I can say without pause, my box of words is I. I could not be without it, in all these years I could not say how many times I have been in and out of my box of words. Nevertheless, I have always held these papers, pictures with lightness, a grace, pure gentleness; I did not want to lose one word or drawing. The words were in a way a map to my world. All from drawing maps as a child that I could not yet read the words, these words I would love from the very beginning. My box of words is I. 

www.aarp.org/community/editor/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/thumbs_up.gif" />     What a wonderful memoir with the theme of your box of words taking you on adventures throughtout your life and you in turn giving life to your words.  What a wonderful marriage and world of words you've created from a very early age!  Bravo RaeDi!  Loved reading!  More!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15
In Response to post:

what a unique way of looking at your past--I want a box of words! You've had such great adventures, and what forethought and sense of purpose to go from Weekly Readers to world travel.

Hello Betsy,  Thank you for your kind words.  I had a curious mind as a child, I had so many questions each day, my Mother told me to save some for the next day.  I wondered about the globe and my Mother explained as best she could to a child pre-school, non reader and not knowing there was a big world out there, outside, my small world.  When I started putting the two together, it was just a child acquiring information and wanting to go and experience everything first hand.  But the Box of words became more than that, this is why I could never give up my box of words, I would lose my sense of self and my bearings.  The words fed me, the maps showed the way.....RaeDi  (PS I do not think it is ever to late to start a word box. )

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15
In Response to post:

Great Job!  I know I'm a newbie here, but from my perception of what the assignment was, I think you nailed it!  Easy to follow, written with passion, but laying the groundwork and following the lead of what was outlined as the assignment.  You even integrated the words used to outline the requirements of the assignment into your story.

Well done!

Bruce the Mystery Man

I wanted to take the time and thank you for your kind and very generous comment on my words.  Do you have a background in writing, or did you do a lot of writing in your careers.  You have a good handle on words and their usage.  You also have a good eye for detail.  You nailed it on the head, I had hoped that the way in which the words flowed would be from not reading and the maps I drew, to learning to read and knowing names for my map pictures and then all the words that gave me information, comfort, joy, happiness, excitement, hope, all the things that words can do to your soul, I wonder if everyone feels the same about 'words.'  They also took me on so many adventures to see, feel, taste, hear, everything first hand that I had read about and saved in my words.  I was never disappointed.  They are everything.  That is why I kept my box of words, they are everything in all ways!   Again thank you.  Your friend ....RaeDi

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15
In Response to post:

I am enthralled by your words.  The experiences you have had are the continuing chapters of this first writing?  You have much to say, and I cant wait to read it.  Well done, sister in words

Dear Friend,  Thank you for the kind words.  Yes Tom would agree with you that I have much to say!  But I do look forwards to being good at writing, and being able to find my mistakes.  Their are some very talented writers here in the group!  Your friend, sister in words....RaeDi

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15
In Response to post:

I love your writing, my friend.  I love the way you express yourself.  Please tell us more! The picture you paint with just the phrase "box of words",  that's so lovely!  First I imagined a box with with words carved out of wood, time worn from being handled by your little hands, as you took the carved words out of the box and learned the words!.  Then I imagined you painted the words, different colors, and then maybe different colors for different letters!.... See, my imagine went wild.!!.. More stories...more stories...please.!! Love and hugs..your friend,.Aubergine

Dear Aubergine,  Thank you for your kinds words, I love your imagination.  And with 'words' comes a great imagination and so much more.  The words open the world to me, it gave me the words for my maps, everything.  They made me who I am today.  Your Friend with love and hugs....RaeDi

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15
In Response to post:

RaeDi, I love this story. It reminds me so much of my own fascination with the world as a child (which I've carried into adulthood!). Reading your words brings all of that wonderment back to my mind's foreground--thank you!

Hello Amy,  I too have had a fascination since I was young, young enough to draw the maps and not know the countries by name.  But I knew when the world opened up to me with the Weekly Reader, there was so much out there I had to go and see,I did not even know they existed.  So I started making a list from my Weekly Reader.  You have to understand, where we were living at the time was a town of maybe 500, the school was first through 12th grade.  Their were two classes per room.  The out side world was a dream come true.  I wanted to go wherever the words took me and more.  I did and I loved it.  Thank you for your kind words. Your friend....RaeDi

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

My Box of Words

By….RaeDi © 2008

I love your writing, my friend.  I love the way you express yourself.  Please tell us more! The picture you paint with just the phrase "box of words",  that's so lovely!  First I imagined a box with with words carved out of wood, time worn from being handled by your little hands, as you took the carved words out of the box and learned the words!.  Then I imagined you painted the words, different colors, and then maybe different colors for different letters!.... See, my imagine went wild.!!.. More stories...more stories...please.!! Love and hugs..your friend,.Aubergine

Kudos
Views