Know someone over 50 who is making a difference? Nominate them for the AARP Purpose Prize. Nominations close March 31!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

TWO RECENT COINCIDENCES

Message 1 of 1

Two Coincidences

Years ago, I stopped watching two TV series:  the crime dramas The Wire and Luther. Both shows had too much unintelligible dialogue for me to bother with. But now that I have access to close captioning, I can enjoy any program, whether it has Baltimore inner city mumblings (in The Wire) or rapid-fire British conversations (in Luther).

Yesterday, my wife and I finished watching the final season of The Wire. One of the most charismatic characters is Idris Elba, an articulate, Machiavellian gangster. I lamented that he was eliminated before the last two seasons. But just by chance, I suggested that we revisit Luther. I was delightfully taken aback when I realized that the main character was Idris Elba, a tormented chief detective. A remarkable coincidence that extends my pleasure in seeing Elba on screen for eight seasons of Luther!

In the first few episodes, the unreformed Luther and his sidekick Ripley have a memorable **bleep** for tat about how Luther’s headstrong and potentially disastrous decisions are wrong but right at the same time.

“Ripley: What you’re doing is wrong.

Luther: Yeah, I know.

Ripley: Why do it then?

Luther: Cause it’s right.”

Before going to bed, I started reading Gregg Hurwitz’s novel Orphan X. The caption at the front of the book quotes the same dialogue between the two investigators. Another astounding coincidence!  I soon found out that I had already read Orphan X. If I had known that earlier, I would not have borrowed the book from the library. But I’m sure glad that I did. 

Whether he has a native British accent or he adopts an American one, Idris Elba is magnificently wired for any role. He has even played an officious character in The Office.

schlomo
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies