From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

THE STONER. THE WINO. AND THE RABBI

Message 1 of 1

After I left the gym late one evening and rushed to the bus stop, I saw a couple who looked like refugees. I recognized my downtrodden literate stoner acquaintance (he always reminds me of a spaced-out Adam Sandler) sitting crunched up against a store front. He nodded at me. Next to him was someone whom I had never seen before: an emaciated woman surrounded by some empty wine bottles. Without warning, she scooted towards me.  Her boozy breath was overpowering. I was anxious to get to the bus stop before midnight, but I didn’t want to be rude; so I remained where I was.

Then the stoner (as he always does) asked me about the crime novel I was reading. I gave him a short summary of City of the Lost, a book about a sanctuary village in the Yukon. Slurring his words, he replied “That’s cool, man.” Then the raspy-voiced woman thrust at me her favorite novel about an array of avenging superheroes, making sure that I read the cover blurb. When I did so and returned the book, she squirreled it away and stuck out her pock-marked hand for me to grasp. Not wanting to offend her, but a little leery at the same time (for I had never been touched by such a physically uncouth person before), I shook hands with her. Ever so slowly, she let go of me. I said goodbye and hurried away.

Because of my unplanned tete a tete with the street people, I may well have missed one of the infrequently scheduled buses that late at night, but I hoped that one would soon arrive. As I approached the bus stop, I noticed a stream of elegantly-dressed females parading next to me. I, on the other hand, sported an old muscle shirt and baggy exercise shorts. At the head of the caravan was a spiffy, stiff-necked bearded man wearing a black suit: a dark kippur was firmly attached to his head, and white-fringed tzitzit were hanging from his waist, two tell-tale signs that he was Jewish. I exuberantly greeted him with a Shalom Aleichem. He gave me a perfunctory glance and then mumbled that he was a Rabbi. Undeterred by his lukewarm response, I asked him if he lived in Hawaii.  While he was intently moving along, he brusquely said that he and his family were visiting. I would have liked to have spoken more with him and his retinue; but the stoplight changed, and they strode across the intersection. In the meantime, my bus came.

Then I had an epiphany. The self-contained Orthodox had no time to spend on his inferior (after all, I was attired as a secular Jew), just as I (a retired professor) preferred not to interrupt my schedule by fraternizing with the down-and-outs who congregate along the route I take to and from various bus stops.

Wanting to avoid someone whom you feel unjustifiably superior to (a non-threatening person who wants to converse with you) may perhaps be normal enough, but it erodes our humanity. I have to do better. It’s a mitzvah (a good deed) to engage people who genuinely want to reach out to me—no matter how uncomfortable I may initially feel.

Missing the bus is not a tragedy: missing the mark is.

schlomo
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season