Trusted Contributor

Summer Writing About Tomatoes?

7-10-18

Happy Summer to my Community,

It has been a while since I have written about my life this summer. I am still

in recovery mode two years after a 7 1/2 hr. Posterial Spinal Surgery. Getting 

better gradually , yet in physical therapy , and still under the care of my doctor.

To keep my mind off of Health I am trying to have a better “raised garden” and

with the help of my younger son  I’ll enjoy fresh vegetables ( will share with family and neighbors). One would be surprised how many vegetables can be planted in these  gardens. I have several and don’t have to bend over or to dig in the ground.

I enjoy the cluster vine tomatoes, my are they delicious! I learned how to grow my own and will have lots of them. I also am growing Roma tomatoes. Try this for growing your own: slice a tomatoe crosswise , put soil in a container, place the thin slice of tomatoe there, cover with soil, water and place in a sunny window.

In about 7-10 days your “tomatoe” slice will sprout. Wow! You are on your way to

saving money and enjoying fresh vine ripe TOMATOES for all kinds of dishes.

Hope this hint that I discovered will help you while gardening.

Have a wonderful summer to write about gardening with Tomatoes.

Enjoy!

Bronze Conversationalist

I plant in 4'X8' raised beds to keep the gophers out of my garden, and I garden organically.  I have lots of herbs that grow all the time such as lavender, rosemary, oregano, parsley, summer basil, and others.  Right now I also have Romaine lettuce, Swiss chard, kale, bell peppers, potatoes, zucchini, yellow crookneck squash, onions, carrots, leeks, and several types of tomatoes including purple tomatoes that are heirlooms and that I started from seed in my greenhouse.  The purple tomatoes haven't bloomed yet so I'm looking forward to seeing what they're like.  The summer heat has been up to 115 degrees lately so I've had to water constantly to keep my crops alive, but they're doing well.  It's such a pleasure to pick what I want for dinner and know that I'm the only one who has had their hands on my food, and that no pesticides have been used.  Here in  So. California I can garden year-round, so I plant what will tolerate each season's weather.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I just plant flowers.  If I planted any vegetables, the deer would eat them all up!

Summer flowers in Toms River, N.J.Summer flowers in Toms River, N.J.

Honored Social Butterfly

All this talk about tomatoes is making me so hungry for a really good home-grown one.  I've tried planting them a few times but I just don't have enough light in my yard.  The last time I planted some they ended up looking like "Jack's Beanstalk" in their effort to find the light.  I finally realized that I had to make a choice between trees and a garden.

My father always planted a huge garden with the best tomatoes.  One year he had a huge crop and so did my father-in-law.  Both brought their excess to my house.  I had all sizes and colors.  It was the first time I was introduced to the yellow tomatoes.  As it turned out, it was the same summer that I thought I needed to lose 10 lbs and an excess of tomatoes fit right in with that plan.

After about 3 weeks of having tomatoes as my primary diet I broke out in a very bad rash.  I didn't realize that tomatoes was one of those things where there can be too much of a good thing.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My father who is 90 has been trying to grow cherry tomatos this year.  We live in the DFW area and since mid May we have had over 90 degree heat with hardly any rain.  We don't get many tomatoes because of this and my father was so proud to plant them.  I try to take care of them because he gets tired sometimes. I wish I could have some "volunteer tomatos" when my father dies.

Trusted Contributor

My husband used to plant all kinds of tomatoes in our back yard. He died over four-and-a-half years ago and I am too disabled to keep up the garden. However, there are 'volunteer' tomato plants still growing back there. I like to tell my son, "Your dad is still feeding us."

Contributor

Amen.  What a comforting, warm thought!   I know those tomatoes are very luscious, feeding the stomach, heart and soul.  Enjoy!

Recognized Social Butterfly

Dear @sunday46,

Hope this post finds you feeling better. I too,  have a garden. I grow vegetables for a community share.  This year,  I grow a 10lb tomatoe. I only with my pumpkins would grow that size. Nancy 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @n566192l, that sounds interesting. How does the community share work?

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Well I volunteer with Food not Bombs,  we pick up or grow organic produce. One or two  members will make a meal.  On Sunday 'S we go to Asbury Park and have a share.  Everything is free to any one who comes.  There is a website,  Food not Bombs , Asbury Park,  NJ. This is a vegan group... Nancy 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Really enjoyed your essay, @sunday46. I can almost taste the fresh tomatoes. Now all I need is a little basil, mozzarella, and olive oil on top of my imagination 🙂

Would love to see some pictures of your garden!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png