10 things you need to know before voting in the midterm election. Find out more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Summer Writing About Tomatoes?

Message 1 of 11

All this talk about tomatoes is making me so hungry for a really good home-grown one.  I've tried planting them a few times but I just don't have enough light in my yard.  The last time I planted some they ended up looking like "Jack's Beanstalk" in their effort to find the light.  I finally realized that I had to make a choice between trees and a garden.

My father always planted a huge garden with the best tomatoes.  One year he had a huge crop and so did my father-in-law.  Both brought their excess to my house.  I had all sizes and colors.  It was the first time I was introduced to the yellow tomatoes.  As it turned out, it was the same summer that I thought I needed to lose 10 lbs and an excess of tomatoes fit right in with that plan.

After about 3 weeks of having tomatoes as my primary diet I broke out in a very bad rash.  I didn't realize that tomatoes was one of those things where there can be too much of a good thing.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

I just plant flowers.  If I planted any vegetables, the deer would eat them all up!

Summer Flowers.JPGSummer flowers in Toms River, N.J.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

I plant in 4'X8' raised beds to keep the gophers out of my garden, and I garden organically.  I have lots of herbs that grow all the time such as lavender, rosemary, oregano, parsley, summer basil, and others.  Right now I also have Romaine lettuce, Swiss chard, kale, bell peppers, potatoes, zucchini, yellow crookneck squash, onions, carrots, leeks, and several types of tomatoes including purple tomatoes that are heirlooms and that I started from seed in my greenhouse.  The purple tomatoes haven't bloomed yet so I'm looking forward to seeing what they're like.  The summer heat has been up to 115 degrees lately so I've had to water constantly to keep my crops alive, but they're doing well.  It's such a pleasure to pick what I want for dinner and know that I'm the only one who has had their hands on my food, and that no pesticides have been used.  Here in  So. California I can garden year-round, so I plant what will tolerate each season's weather.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

My father who is 90 has been trying to grow cherry tomatos this year.  We live in the DFW area and since mid May we have had over 90 degree heat with hardly any rain.  We don't get many tomatoes because of this and my father was so proud to plant them.  I try to take care of them because he gets tired sometimes. I wish I could have some "volunteer tomatos" when my father dies.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

Amen.  What a comforting, warm thought!   I know those tomatoes are very luscious, feeding the stomach, heart and soul.  Enjoy!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

My husband used to plant all kinds of tomatoes in our back yard. He died over four-and-a-half years ago and I am too disabled to keep up the garden. However, there are 'volunteer' tomato plants still growing back there. I like to tell my son, "Your dad is still feeding us."

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

Well I volunteer with Food not Bombs,  we pick up or grow organic produce. One or two  members will make a meal.  On Sunday 'S we go to Asbury Park and have a share.  Everything is free to any one who comes.  There is a website,  Food not Bombs , Asbury Park,  NJ. This is a vegan group... Nancy 

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

Hello @n566192l, that sounds interesting. How does the community share work?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

Dear @sunday46,

Hope this post finds you feeling better. I too,  have a garden. I grow vegetables for a community share.  This year,  I grow a 10lb tomatoe. I only with my pumpkins would grow that size. Nancy 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

Really enjoyed your essay, @sunday46. I can almost taste the fresh tomatoes. Now all I need is a little basil, mozzarella, and olive oil on top of my imagination Smiley Happy

Would love to see some pictures of your garden!

Kudos
Views