Social Butterfly

Refresh: What are you reading?

I am avid reader (these AARP Community boards included) and see multiple posts for readers, but think this might be new and fun?

"44 books everyone should read" (https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/shopping-books-movies-tv/44-books-everyone-should-read-in-their-... source MSN).

I'd already been lucky enough to read more than half, and 'though my favorite Authors (includning Hunter S Thompson) aren't included, am learning (and enjoying) the books I haven't experienced previously, so appreciated this article so much.

Hope others enjoy!

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Conversationalist

I'm reading a book that is very interesting.  It takes place in the future.  What happens to convicts when they go to prison?  They train? For what?

The author is Spencer Baum, the title - The Tetradome Run-.

if your looking for excitement you will certainly get it.  Is your imagination way out there, then this book is for you!

0 Kudos

Just read Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly. Very interesting, fiction based on fact chronicling lives of three women leading up to time and during WW 2 and Ravensbruk Concentration Camp.

Tear jerker but worth the read.

Susan P.

Just read Beneath A Scarlet Sky, by Mark Sullivan.  A compelling and true WWII story of Pino Lella an Itallian youth who helped Jews escape via the Italian Alps to Switzerland to later joining the German Army and becoming a spy for the Allies.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Just finished "Where the crawdads sing".  Highly recommended.  

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

If you know anything about Georgia Tann, the notorious Georgia woman who stole and sold kids during the 1930's, then you will want to read Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate.  The book is about a family in Mississippi in the 1930's who are victims of this woman.  Stolen from their riverboat shanty and separated, it is a book of hard times and a bit of a mystery, that will leave you satisfied at the ending.

Periodic Contributor

Great book! I enjoyed reading even though it was heartbreaking at times!
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I also read Before We Were Yours and couldn't put it down. Excellent read.

My book club just read this book and it was excellent. Hadn't heard of Georgia Tann before reading this book. It was heartbreaking what she did to the children. Would recommend it as book club selection.

0 Kudos

Fellow retirees, get with new thrillers that take place in the heartland of USA--read The Line Between by Tosca Lee.  It has everything you want in a thriller and Tosca is a New York Times bestselling author. As Alex Kava of the New York Times said in his review, "everything you want in a thriller: suspense, intrigue, and, best of all, a truly captivating protagonist to cheer on...."

Laura L. Moncrief 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png