Get a newer and safer vehicle while saving money! Check out the AARP auto buying program.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Reading groups

Message 1 of 9

I retired a few years ago and one of my goals is to be in, or start up a book club.  I've never been in one and nor sure how to be invited.  These posts are helpful but a little uncertain about the leader aspect.  Who is the leader?  Does it change each time.  How does the leader know what to bring up for discussion or what questions to present for discussion?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

@nyadrn  I would think it would be worth a try since its so convenient, right in your building.  You may be surprised! 

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

No.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

I belong to a book club sponsered by the local Library and held at the local seniors meeting place.  The Library has a kit that they use for selection, based on how many members  you have and how many books will be available.  We meet once a month and go to lunch after the meeting.  We read fiction, bios, si fi just about anything.  One meeting a year we choose a subject, (2nd World War, Presidents, etc,) The members are then to read any book they choose on that subject and then discuss them. We have a grab bag and lunch for Christmas, no book discussions.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9
Here are some tips for forming a book group. 1. read anything-fiction, non-fiction, biographies, collection of short stories 2. make sure two members have read the book (you can always say 1 person) 3. don't have a membership of more than 20 4. meet once a month on the same day and same time such as 2nd Thursdays at 5:30 5. allow the leader to lead however she wants 6. we limited our group to women only 7. chat time before the discussion started was limited to about 10 minutes 8. the group can meet for dinner beforehand 9. whoever hosts served dessert & coffee 10. vote on those who would like to become members once a year. But first allow existing members to continue attending 11. at Christmas we had a potluck & donated children's books to organizations These suggestions will make for a relaxed and fun group.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

I've joined book clubs a number of times.  Be sure to follow this pattern.  They usually offer a number of books for a low price and a commentment to buy a certain number more.  As soon as you have bought your minimum, sent them a letter of membership cancellation and referrence your check number and membership number.  Put final payment and account closing with your membership number on the check.

Don't rejoin until they have built up an inventory of good books that you both want to read and haven't read.   I keep my cancellation letter on my computer and only change the membership number and check number.  

Always end with a statement that this is your final notice and that any books or materials shipped after the closing date on the check will be treated as gifts.  Usually in 4 to 6 months, they will be trying to sign you up as a new member.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

I enjoy my book group immensely.  Even if we read books in same general subject area, we all offer different views and life experiences which inform our discussion.  When you know how someone perceives a book, you begin to know that person more fully, and --usually-- find them far more interesting.  My world view has expanded since joining a book club.  I believe one at a time is enough, at least for now.  Read on, my friends!!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

Try it. Nothing to lose unless you're like me.

I'm only interested in sci-fi, and don't know of any groups around here that only read sci-fi. I wish I had broader interests in reading, but I spend so much time reading and watching international news programs, finance, health, that I only want to read 'escapist' lit (and travel stuff which is actually escapist too).

I have a good friend, and some acquaintances, who really enjoy this. The 'discussion' groups are more of a socializing outlet. Spend a bit of time talking about the book, and a lot of time just conversing.

Might be of interest to you (?).

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Reading groups

Message 9 of 9

Does anyone belong to a reading group that meets regularly to discuss selected titles and or authors?

Do you enjoy it?

We have a group that meets monthly here in our building but I am not sure if I would enjoy this kind of reading for the purpose of discussing etc.

Any thoughts?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Replies