Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Conversationalist

Re: Promoting Your Book

Message 1 of 9

No, no. You were clear and your advice was excellent and welcome. Just thought I'd add the link to one of my readings. Thanks again. Valuable insights.

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 9

Whoops. Sorry. I'm not being clear.  The publishing industry produces what they call 'book' trailers'. Indies can do the same. A book trailer is a smartly produced video commercial, but generally a soft sell, that is between 1-2 minutes long. Longer than that is counter productive.

Make one of these, making sure to use motion, color, sound, et cetera to great advantage, and post that on your website. Video editing software comes with virtually every computer nowadays. If you have grandchildren I bet they are already well acquainted with it. Or perhaps you can find a marketing student at the local community college that needs a project. Smiley Happy 

Also post smartly edited reading videos. Caution: use short, snappy sections, say 3-5 minutes. Longer than that is counter productive. Smiley Happy Look for sections where you make eye contact with either the audience or the camera. If you don't have good footage already, set up a camera and make good snippets. :0) 

Best wishes.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Conversationalist

Message 3 of 9

There are a couple of videos in existence of my readings -- I must be braindead -- never listed the links on my website, something I'll do tomorrow. Great advice.

Here's one of the videos.  https://youtu.be/XtRSqqqSbok

Message 4 of 9

Don't forget the video trailer. And make great use of your photography. 

One of the maxims from the newsroom was: Put a picture in that story!  Because images draw eyes.  All the more so for moving images. Use the senses (color, sound, light/dark, motion, voice) to get as much across as you can in 190 seconds. :0)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Conversationalist

Message 5 of 9

Certainly no needs to apologize. I welcome your input. Yes, I do have a website -- I'm a photographer, painter, printmaker and a writer. My website is www.russdupontphotos.com and I do have a page devoted to my books BUT, I never did put up links to any of my readings. Glad you got back to me. Again, thanks.

Message 6 of 9

I'm back. Sorry. (But you got me started... Smiley Happy)

You do have a website, right?  You should. You can get one for free. Do that.

Then write short, engaging upbeat, witty, amusing, informative, spellbinding articles about the book, the characters, the inspiration, yourself, the writing process. Include a well made video of you reading some of your work. Also make a 1-2 minute 'trailer' they call them, about your book. Post these on your website. Push out (marketing term there, means: post to a wider audience with intent to draw them to the source) your website posts onto your Twitter and Facebook pages. And to whatever writers groups you belong to.

Have fun!

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 9

Thanks, Epster. I'm in the process of formatting the book for printing. I'll be out there peddling it when it's done

Message 8 of 9

Hi @Jake5432143 and welcome to the online community.

Back in the day when I was a member of various writing groups, there was a local author whose book (it might have been a series, actually) had such a strong niche market that her work was for a couple of years the most successful self published project ever. Somebody may have claimed that title by now, it doesn't really matter, because the point is that she had a strong niche market and she milked that like a pro. She traveled all over selling books out of the trunk of her car and at events. Made millions, as I recall. (Really)

So.

Does your work lend itself to a niche market? If so: do what she did. Smiley Happy

Can you get your book into bookstores? I know self published authors who managed that impossible feat. Or maybe just talk them into a signing inside their bookstore along with --here's that niche market again-- some relevant promotion they are holding.

Best wishes to you.

Conversationalist

Promoting Your Book

Message 9 of 9

I recently published a novel, King & Train, and am trying to gather as many suggestions as I can on how to promote the book without paying a marketing group. You may notice, I listed an announcement in this group; I've also promoted it on Facebook and LinkedIn; notified local newspapers. I've given readings and offered readings to libraries and groups but I'd still like to get more suggestions.

Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.