Get the information you need to help care for your eyes at the AARP Eye Center. Visit it today!

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

re: NYO THE DOG IS HAVING A DIFFICULT DAY

Message 1 of 10
In Response to post:

Hi Lady in Red,

I'm glad your cat got an extra hug due to Nyo's ordeal.  Nyo has gone through some hard times in her twelve years.  I'm writing about her in my journal if you're interested.  She is sleeping peacefully near the computer right now.  She didn't exactly  "chow down" on her own.  The big plastic cone surrounds her face; and, she has trouble getting to her bowl.  I've been feeding her from my hand.  She's agreeable to that.

Take Care,

Lzeenyo

Lzeenyo,

Being a pet "parent," I’m always interested in any stories, pictures, or day-to-day accounts of a much loved pet. It’s really wonderful to have another ’being’ that gives unlimited love & free kisses, as our pets do. They don’t hold back with anger or spit even when we do not give them all the attention, treats, food, or walks that they deserve. Unlike humans, they will come right back to your love, kisses, & hugs even 5 minutes after you yell at them.

When my Joey Kacz, AKA the hairy black son, has been squirted with a squirt gun (most humane punishment) for hopping up on our table, or rubbing his paws against the very expensive speakers of our sound system, he will return to my side with those big, black eyes and purr/ meow until I pick him up, stoke him, and say kind words to him. Of course, he is probably hearing:  "Blah, blah, blah, blah, good boy, Jo-Jo."

I guess for all the above reasons & more, I’m so happy to be Joey Kacz’s servant. I’m lucky that my allergies do NOT go into overdrive and Joey will remain a ’member’ of our little family as long as he wants. Finding Joey in the cat shelter I adopted him from, letting him sit on my lap during the long drive home (I was NOT driving), and not displaying sneezing nor runny nose experiences during the whole interval are really a blessing from God. Yes...I do believe that animals give us additional and much needed humanity toward all Earth’s occupants!

My Joey Kacz actually jumps up and sits/ or lays near my computer keyboard, monitor,  scanner and/or printer. But it is still worth it, even when my husband must pull apart the computer hard drive and vacuum out the copious amounts of hair!!!

I’ll keep a good health wish in mind for Nyo and you, her faithful servant!

Peace,

Kacz

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10
In Response to post:

Thank you for your kind words.  Nyo is sleeping peacefully now.  I think she's accepted that I'm not removing the collar.  I wonder how many dogs get wishes for their good health from people throughout the United States.

Lzeenyo

Yeah, those cone collars are not much fun are they? Napoleon has had to wear one a couple of times. My shepherd mix, "Molly", also known as "Boo Boo" has to take a pill twice a day for a thyroid condition that affected her coat. But you do what you have to in order to keep them healthy. The vets have us over a barrel and they know it. We finally got lucky and found a good vet here we use and are really happy  with him. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10
In Response to post:

The techs really do deserve the majority of you cost...seeing as how the vet only wrote of high $ treatments from which I have to assume he would have gotten a substancial kick back.  Sort of like some Drs. and pharmaceutical companies.  Glad to hear she, Nyo is doing better and you are a good and caring parent/friend for her.  Love that you are feeding her by hand.....those collars are a nasty bit of work.  Had to have one on one of my Dobermans once.

Really enjoyed your story Lzeenyo.

Charlotte

Thank you for your kind words.  Nyo is sleeping peacefully now.  I think she's accepted that I'm not removing the collar.  I wonder how many dogs get wishes for their good health from people throughout the United States.

Lzeenyo

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10
In Response to NYO THE DOG IS HAVING A DIFFICULT DAY:

Nyo's skin allergy on her leg worsened so much over the past few days that we had to make a vet visit.  This entailed lifting Nyo into the car.  She was happy to be in the car; she likes to go for rides.  We get to the vet.  Nyo does not like her vet very much; I'm not terribly fond of him myself.  We go there because there are two great tech guys.  After the vet has long haired tech guy muzzle Nyo he examines her for about 60 seconds.  Then he writes an estimate for the bill and I must initial it before treatment is given.  The estimate is $212.  Nyo and I proceed to the back room with the tech guys.  Tattoo guy and I hold and soothe Nyo while long haired guy removes her muzzle.  He is concerned that the muzzle is stressing her.  He administers two shots, puts a nylon collar on her so she won't lick her leg, and trims her nails.  I ask him how much I've spent so far.  He examines the bill;  I mention that I'm unemployed at the moment. 

We delete the $30 bottle of shampoo and the $50 anti-itch spray.  Similar items can be purchased at PetSmart for far less.  This brings the bill to $138.  I am making a crock pot meal for Nyo this evening--I think she deserves it.  She is unhappy with her  nylon cone collar; I think she would prefer a different fashion accessory.   About that $138 bill:  What portion will the vet get and what portions will the adorable tech guys get?

The techs really do deserve the majority of you cost...seeing as how the vet only wrote of high $ treatments from which I have to assume he would have gotten a substancial kick back.  Sort of like some Drs. and pharmaceutical companies.  Glad to hear she, Nyo is doing better and you are a good and caring parent/friend for her.  Love that you are feeding her by hand.....those collars are a nasty bit of work.  Had to have one on one of my Dobermans once.

Really enjoyed your story Lzeenyo.

Charlotte

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10
In Response to post:

I've often wondered about the unfairness of the vet bill. It now costs me more to just walk into the building with my cat, my friend, my hairy black son, Joey than I pay at my own Doctor! 

But as you  stated in your writing, sometimes parts of the bill can be adjusted so that the cost does not totally 'shoot down' our budgets.

Nyo deserved help; but not all parts of the treatment were necessary or fairly priced. But you did what you could to alleviate the problem & still rewarded your special friend. (Did he 'chow down' with added zeal? I bet he did!)

That's usually all we can do in this economy. I truly hope your dog is on the swift road to recovery! I just gave my cat an extra hug after reading your written piece!

Hi Lady in Red,

I'm glad your cat got an extra hug due to Nyo's ordeal.  Nyo has gone through some hard times in her twelve years.  I'm writing about her in my journal if you're interested.  She is sleeping peacefully near the computer right now.  She didn't exactly  "chow down" on her own.  The big plastic cone surrounds her face; and, she has trouble getting to her bowl.  I've been feeding her from my hand.  She's agreeable to that.

Take Care,

Lzeenyo

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

Nyo's skin allergy on her leg worsened so much over the past few days that we had to make a vet visit.  This entailed lifting Nyo into the car.  She was happy to be in the car; she likes to go for rides.  We get to the vet.  Nyo does not like her vet very much; I'm not terribly fond of him myself.  We go there because there are two great tech guys.  After the vet has long haired tech guy muzzle Nyo he examines her for about 60 seconds.  Then he writes an estimate for the bill and I must initial it before treatment is given.  The estimate is $212.  Nyo and I proceed to the back room with the tech guys.  Tattoo guy and I hold and soothe Nyo while long haired guy removes her muzzle.  He is concerned that the muzzle is stressing her.  He administers two shots, puts a nylon collar on her so she won't lick her leg, and trims her nails.  I ask him how much I've spent so far.  He examines the bill;  I mention that I'm unemployed at the moment. 

We delete the $30 bottle of shampoo and the $50 anti-itch spray.  Similar items can be purchased at PetSmart for far less.  This brings the bill to $138.  I am making a crock pot meal for Nyo this evening--I think she deserves it.  She is unhappy with her  nylon cone collar; I think she would prefer a different fashion accessory.   About that $138 bill:  What portion will the vet get and what portions will the adorable tech guys get?

I enjoyed reading about Nyo and the techies.  What a rip off that the vet was doing all of this extra stuff not warranted for fixing the condition.  I'm glad Nyo has a good home with you where she gets homemade meals.  Thanks for sharing your story.  Marti

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

I've often wondered about the unfairness of the vet bill. It now costs me more to just walk into the building with my cat, my friend, my hairy black son, Joey than I pay at my own Doctor! 

But as you  stated in your writing, sometimes parts of the bill can be adjusted so that the cost does not totally 'shoot down' our budgets.

Nyo deserved help; but not all parts of the treatment were necessary or fairly priced. But you did what you could to alleviate the problem & still rewarded your special friend. (Did he 'chow down' with added zeal? I bet he did!)

That's usually all we can do in this economy. I truly hope your dog is on the swift road to recovery! I just gave my cat an extra hug after reading your written piece!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

Good question!  *LOL*

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

NYO THE DOG IS HAVING A DIFFICULT DAY

Message 9 of 10

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

NYO THE DOG IS HAVING A DIFFICULT DAY

Message 9 of 10

Kudos
Views
Replies