Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

MY KINGDOM FOR COMMON SENSE

Message 1 of 1

My Kingdom for Common Sense

So far during the COVID-19 crisis, I have maintained proper social distancing. I’ve been fortunate. No one has spit, coughed, or heavily breathed near me: until this afternoon.

I needed to retrieve a document from my car, so I grabbed a set of keys and headed to the parking lot. Halfway to my Mazda, I realized that I had left the car key ring in my condo unit. On my way back to the lobby, I saw a car pull up within twenty feet of me.   Two young men got out. One of them spit on the cement. What a dangerous jerk! I didn’t want to be any closer to him or his buddy, so I rushed to the lobby to avoid them. I was overjoyed that they didn’t arrive while I was waiting for the elevator or as the elevator opened. But just as it was about to close, they lurched in. There were only a couple of feet between us, and both men directly faced me.

Momentarily, the guy who had openly sneezed committed another taboo: he vigorously blew a few times on his hands that he said were stinging him from disinfectant. Then he chuckled. What a nightmare! I held my breath until he and his cohort got off at a couple of floors before mine.

When I told my wife about my misadventure, she instructed me to wash my clothes and take a shower to decontaminate myself. And the next time that I leave the condo, I agreed to wear a makeshift mask that just happened to be embroidered with turtles.

How unnervingly reminiscent of Aesop’s story of the tortoise and the hare! I hurried like the hare, trying to outdistance the two guys into an elevator that would leave before they could reach it. I should have imitated the turtle, ever-so-slowly prodding along far behind the men so that I would enter the lobby after they had already taken an earlier elevator. In hindsight, I was harebrained.

schlomo
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: What advice do you need to better manage your stress and anxiety?

Clinical Psychologists Barry Jacobs and Julie Mayer will answer your questions on how to cope with the major life change, anxiety, and sadness we are all facing these days. Ask a question now and tune in live on May 27, 3-5 p.m. ET.