AARP Live takes your questions tonight about veterans benefits and scams. Join us at 10 p.m. ET on the RFD network.
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

MY KINGDOM FOR A KEY

Message 1 of 1

My Kingdom for a Key

The other day, after I unloaded groceries from one of the condo carts, I decided to immediately return the cart to the basement. However, when I got there, I realized that I had left my keys and my cell phone in my unit. Without a key, I couldn’t get back through the basement door, nor could I exit from the adjacent locked parking garage. Without my phone, I couldn’t contact my wife (who was luxuriating in the condo). I found myself caught in another one of my all-too-frequent, self-imposed, minor misadventures.

I guess I could have waited for someone to enter the basement area to let me back in. But I was impatient. I thought I’d have a better chance to reach my condo entrance if I could get to the sidewalk. So I decided to open the unlocked basement back door leading to what I thought was an unlocked, iron barred, sidewalk exit. Not a good choice. I found out that with no key, I was trapped in a much smaller space than before: I couldn’t reenter the basement (where I should have stayed to begin with) because the basement door was locked from the outside, and I couldn’t get to the sidewalk because the gate was locked from the inside.  And I needed to get to the bathroom.

I knew that I could ask a passerby to open the gate (it was unlocked from the outside), as long as he or she could see me through the cage and trusted that I was harmless. The first person I spied was carrying an infant across the street. I shouted to her to help me. Initially, she didn’t notice me, but when she did, she frowned and sped up. Maybe I looked suspicious or downright dangerous to her.

A few moments later, I saw my condo friend Hal whiz by on his motorized wheelchair. Just in time, I shouted out to him. When he backed up and saw me, he good-humoredly grinned at my predicament and let me out of my brief captivity. If it weren’t for Hal, I don’t know how long I would have remained in that claustrophobic toilet-free passageway.

It certainly wasn’t a circle of Hell; I’d rather call it a rectangle of Limbo.

I vowed that I would never leave the condo without my keys— as long as I could find them. Twice this week, I scrounged around for them, only to eventually find them lodged in the outside door to my unit. Once I had managed to leave them in that position overnight. Luckily, my condo building has never been breached. Nonetheless, I need to upgrade my presence of mind to downgrade the presence of stress in my life.

schlomo
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies